By: jazzel26 (offline) on Wednesday, November 12 2014 @ 09:01 AM EST  
jazzel26

Judy, excellent summary of the 2014 WHOI nesting seasonClapping

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, November 12 2014 @ 02:44 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks, jazzel! Even after a couple of months, it was hard to revisit. Keeping my fingers crossed that they have a much more peaceful nesting season next year.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, November 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Hi Judy.Big hugs I knew of some of this....... I read your excellent ........unbelievable summary of the WHO nest at least 4 times......... referred to the links you provided....... and i am still in a state of shock and i just can't seem to get my head wrapped around all that happened on this nest..........Cry

I want to say a big Thank You to you Judy, jazzel and all at the Maine Forum for the untiring, dedication and excellent documentation ..... hugmy gosh! i watch quiet a few Osprey Nest and while i probably don't have the experience that most of you have....... i have never seen anything like this......... this is a miracle... that two of the chicks survived and fledged.......along with Mom and Dad and intruder.......... and RIP sweet F 3 ..fly free foreversadCry Hanky

I know i will reread your summary again Judy........... and i can understand how hard this was for you to do.. so a huge Thank You Judy.......... for sharing this with us..hug

I too hope for a better season at this nest next year...........

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, December 17 2014 @ 02:52 PM EST  
MaryF

Fish-eating eagle (osprey) trapped in fishpond --

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union (Phillippines)A wild bird was saved by residents after getting entangled by a net enclosure of a fishpond in Barangay Biday here Tuesday.

Eagle in captivity. San Fernando City Mayor Pablo Ortega holds the fish-eating eagle after it was turned over to authorities by Jason Estrero.

Mayor Pablo Ortega said the raptor will be nursed in the wildlife sanctuary at the La Union Botanical Garden in Barangay Cadaclan before being released to the wild.

Fisherman Jason Estrero said the bird accidentally got caught in a fishpond had minor injuries after struggling to free itself.

Katherine Mueller, of the City Environment and Natural Resources, identified the species as a five-year old osprey.

In the website of osprey foundation, the Osprey is described as one of the most widely distributed species in the world.

READ THE REST HERE -- http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/12/ ... -fishpond/

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: jazzel26 (offline) on Wednesday, December 17 2014 @ 10:35 PM EST  
jazzel26

Quote by: MaryF

Fish-eating eagle (osprey) trapped in fishpond --

SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union (Phillippines)A wild bird was saved by residents after getting entangled by a net enclosure of a fishpond in Barangay Biday here Tuesday.

Eagle in captivity. San Fernando City Mayor Pablo Ortega holds the fish-eating eagle after it was turned over to authorities by Jason Estrero.

Mayor Pablo Ortega said the raptor will be nursed in the wildlife sanctuary at the La Union Botanical Garden in Barangay Cadaclan before being released to the wild.

Fisherman Jason Estrero said the bird accidentally got caught in a fishpond had minor injuries after struggling to free itself.

Katherine Mueller, of the City Environment and Natural Resources, identified the species as a five-year old osprey.

In the website of osprey foundation, the Osprey is described as one of the most widely distributed species in the world.

READ THE REST HERE -- http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/12/ ... -fishpond/

Mary, thanks for the reporthug

Forum

Falmouth MA

Profile Email Website PM

By: FlyForeverFree (offline) on Monday, May 23 2016 @ 11:27 PM EDT  
FlyForeverFree

wave Everyone. There are 2 new Osprey cam's that I have come across that may be of interest to those that follow the Montana and Alberta Osprey's

The first nest is located in Charlo Montana which is north of Missoula where the Hellgate nest is. ( Iris and Louis )

The cam is broadcast on Explore.org at this link http://explore.org/live-cams/player/cha ... sprey-nest

They do have eggs on the nest as of May 23, 2016 ( I don't know when they were laid but there are 3 of them )

Click on image to download

The male at this nest may remind you a little of Stanley from Hellgate.
There is a video on youtube that polo captured of the male feeding the female yesterday, May 22nd, 2016

Charlo MT Osprey Cam Male feeds Female 5-22-2016

Video Camera https://youtu.be/g96t4sxwGEc

Thank You polo

This is from this evening, May 23, 2016

The second nest is located by RedDeer Alberta and is being broadcasted on YouTube by FortisAlberta.

This is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIjEkTxZF8o

I have no history on this pair and there are no eggs laid as of May 23, 2016. During the moments that I've been able to catch I have seen up to 3 different Ospreys around, the nesting pair and 1 other.
The Female has very pretty markings and I was thinking she may be young.

Here's is a video, also from polo, from the 17th of May.

Fortis Alberta Osprey Cam Red Deer Male delivers fish 5:29am then defends nest 5:44am 5-17-2016

Video Camera https://youtu.be/DYM5qSzy-i8

Thank You again polo

This is from this evening, the 23rd of May.

Enjoy !!

May your Spirit always lift you ... to Fly Forever Free !!

Forum

Alberta

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, November 20 2016 @ 01:34 PM EST  
JudyB

Hi everyone - and thanks for the links, FFF! So many cams these days!

Some of you may have heard of Rob Bierregaard, who has been studying the migration of osprey on the east coast of North America since around 2000 (http://www.ospreytrax.com/OspreyMainPage.html), and who has tagged a number of adults and fledgings so he could track their migration. This year, for the first time, he tagged 6 osprey in Newfoundland, two adults and four fledglings, to see what their path south might be. His hypothesis was that the adults would probably follow the coast, as most New England adults seem to do - but he thought the youngsters might fly straight to the Carolinas or Florida, over the water.

He was right about the adults - here's the path for Shanawdithit (Shana for short, she was named for the last surviving member of the Beothuk First Nation tribe, the original residents of what we now call Newfoundland):

Daphne (she was trapped at a nest in a botanical garden, so was named after a plant genus) also followed the coast for the most part - but once she got to Cuba, she did something that surprised everyone - she didn't continue south east along the coast of Cuba and maybe Hispaniola then head to South America as most adults do - or head directly to Columbia from Cuba as some do - she went west to Central America and followed that coast to Panama, which seems to be her winter home. I find it interesting that an osprey from the far eastern side of North America is actually wintering on the Pacific Ocean!

Sadly two of the fledglings were lost before they migrated. One was hit by a car, and the other just stopped transmitting - so it might be transmitter failure, but that's unlikely with a new transmitter. The third fledgling was named Virginia, for Virginia Lake where her nest was located. She tried to do what Rob had expected first-time migrators to do - head south over the water. Unfortunately, her instinct to migrate hit while there were two major storms in the Atlantic, including Hurricane Matthew. She flew 2,227 miles (3,584 km) over the water with no way to rest, and was flying for 82.5 hours, averaging 27 mph (43 kph) - and she made it to shore - just as the worst of the hurricane arrived, and it looks as if she died within an hour or two of reaching land. Cry This is Rob Bierregaard's map of her journey, courtesy of OspreyTrax:

The first curve was when she moved around a smaller storm. As you can see, if the hurricane wasn't there, she could have gone straight to Florida, I think with less miles and I'm sure with less work.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, November 20 2016 @ 01:35 PM EST  
JudyB

(continued from the previous post)

That leaves one fledgling still to migrate, Leif Erikson, a male named for the viking explorer who landed in Newfoundland about 500 years before Columbus made it to the Caribbean. Leif started south on September 15, headed for Florida (more or less) - but then had second thoughts, and headed west to Nova Scotia and followed that coastline south (the change in path probably had more to do with the wind and other natural occurrences than what we consider thought - but...). He then started to go south - but turned west again and ended up in Maine, poking around a bit as he went (common behavior for juveniles in the early stages of migration), ending up in the Lewiston, Maine, area on September 24.

Lewiston is not far from me - and while there was no way to know where Leif was at any given time, he uploaded three days worth of locations every three days, so we knew where he was spending a lot of time. So I spent some time looking for him - and wrote about it.

Search for Leif Erikson

I didn't find Leif - but did discover some beautiful areas, and enjoyed the peace of sitting by a river or a lake with nothing to do but see what is to be seen. love

Leif left Maine the morning of November 11, and flew non-stop to Florida, arriving about 36 hours later after traveling 1255 miles/2020km. This is Rob's graphic of his journey.

Leif didn't stop there - he continued to Cuba, which is where he was at his last data upload on November 18.

Safe travels, young one - and thanks for stopping by!
Osprey

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:56 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate