https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Turtle Bay, CA - 2016 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: eaglewoman (offline) on Wednesday, August 03 2016 @ 03:27 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank You so much for compiling all of the data for this season & all season Gary!!!

I will take a closer look at it & email with you if I see anything!

I returned from my trip to Boulder, Colorado where "Eagleboy" is now living & going to school!

On my return, I heard back from Riverview Golf & Country Club about our eaglecam proposal and it wasn't the news we were hoping for... Sad

I'm sorry to report that the Riverview Board has again decided against allowing us to install our eaglecams above Liberty & Spirit's new nest at the golf course.
They gave it serious consideration as they did several months ago, but still have decided to decline our proposal. No specific reasons were given.
As disappointing as this news is to hear, we have to respect their decision. Riverview Golf & Country Club is a private golf course & golf is their main priority!
On a positive note, they have agreed to continue to allow us limited access on Mondays throughout the nesting season. So I will still be able to go onto the course on Mondays to monitor Liberty & Spirit & share with everyone here!
Kit golfs on Mondays but hopefully she will be able to get out there on occasion after golf, too!

Now that the door has been closed at Riverview G & CC for installing our eaglecams above Liberty & Spirit's new nest, we have to decide what to do with the 2 brand new eaglecams that we placed above their old nest at Turtle Bay?!?
Turtle Bay has recently chosen to opt out of the Eaglecam Project, so if the eagles do return to that nest, we will need to find someone else to take over Turtle Bay's end of the project?
Ideally, we would like to keep those eaglecams in place for now, until we see what happens when Liberty & Spirit return in October? With several immature eagles checking out L & S's old nest last season, we could end up with some young eagles in that nest while L & S continue to nest down at the Riverview nest?!?

So many unknowns! Keep it interesting, doesn't it?

We will keep you posted on our plans & progress!

Please feel free to offer any input or insights you might have!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Thursday, August 04 2016 @ 06:43 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

It is with great sadness that I share the news of the passing of Ron Cordova, the I.T. guy at Turtle Bay.

Ron took over for Toby Osborn and was extremely helpful to Kit, Mark & I with the Eaglecam Project over the past few years. He was also instrumental with the purchase of the 2 new eaglecams & the coordination of the installation last year.

We here at HWF & FORE are so very grateful to him for everything he did on behalf of our group & our beloved Redding Eagles.

You will be missed by many Ron...R.I.P.

Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Thursday, August 04 2016 @ 06:46 PM EDT  
Darlene

So sorry to hear your sad news eaglewoman! R.I.P. Ron Sad

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, August 04 2016 @ 08:09 PM EDT  
JudyB

Terri, I am so sorry to hear the news about Ron.

Rest in peace, Ron - and may eagles fly with you, far beyond the sky. sad

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, August 05 2016 @ 01:16 PM EDT  
karenbills

Sorry to hear all the bad news, Terri. Liberty has gone through so much in her own eagle life since we all 'met' her. You and Kit have gone above and beyond what most people would have down to spread the word of Liberty's story. One day at a time, my friend. Huge eagle hugs from all your HWF friends.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Friday, August 05 2016 @ 07:03 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

wave Hi Darlen, JudyB & Karen! Thank you all for your kind words!hug

Luckily we are fighters and we don't give up easy!Titter

We will rest easy knowing that we have done all that is within our control and everything will turn out the way it is meant to be...

I am truly an eternal optimist!Bravo

Turtle Bay has generously offered to donate all of the eaglecam equipment to our group, so we will accept that and store it for now until we see what next season brings!Grin
We will also put out some feelers and see if there is a local company that is willing to help us with the Eaglecam Project!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, August 09 2016 @ 03:30 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Well friends, with no sightings of our eagle family in the last several weeks, it appears that the 2015-2016 nesting season has come to an end! Here is a rundown of another successful season for our beloved Redding eagles...

Oh, what a season it was! It was quite the roller coaster ride of emotions as we eagerly anticipated watching Liberty & Spirit via our 2 brand new HD eaglecams with SOUND for the very first time! That excitement slowly waned as Liberty & Spirit only visited their nest on a few occasions, but did not appear to be doing yearly nestorations? We were concerned, but still had hope they would get busy working on their nest soon.

But, I will never forget the deep sense of despair that I felt when I was riding along the river trail on December 5th, 2015 looking for our eagles, and a gentleman told me that there was a pair of eagles bringing in sticks to a nest along the River Trail. I raced around the bend to see for myself, and sure enough Liberty & Spirit were there working on a new nest! I couldn't believe my eyes & quickly called Kit to come down to see what was going on and tell me that it really was Liberty & Spirit! I was in serious shock & denial at that point & was coming up with all kinds of crazy theories about how it could be a different pair of eagles...

My heart sank as I realized for the first time that our beloved eagles were not going to use their old nest this season...
Once that initial shock & disappointment wore off, we began to become more optimistic about the situation realizing that at least the eagles were still nesting nearby in the Turtle Bay area and at least we could still monitor them on a regular basis! We were treated to a few more occasions where they brought new sticks in to this nest!
But, we did have some growing concerns about their safety in this new location, being in such close proximity to the river trail!

Then, a few weeks later, nestorations at this new nest above the river trail abruptly stopped? We had a few more sightings of the eagles on the Family Tree and Christmas Tree, but they didn't appear to be bringing in any new sticks, and that new nest really hadn't taken much shape yet?!?

In late December, we started getting reports that people were seeing a pair of eagles working on a nest down at the Riverview Golf & Country Club. Although that location was 1.5-2 miles downriver from the Turtle Bay nest, I knew that there weren't any other pairs of eagles who nested in this territory. We believed that this could be Liberty & Spirit so we headed down to the course to have a look ourselves. And, that is when we confirmed that it indeed was our beloved Redding eagles who had built a new nest at a private golf course! We also received information that our eagles had been spending time down at Riverview for many years! Roger sent me a photo of Patriot(Liberty's 1st mate) and Liberty perched in a tree near the current nest at Riverview!

Sightings of Liberty & Spirit in the Turtle Bay area became few and far between as they became locked into their nest downriver and spent less time in the northern end of their territory.
Luckily, the Riverview allowed limited access to Kit & I on Mondays when the course is closed to continue monitoring our eagles.

On February 15th, 2016 we got word from Roger on the Riverview Maintenance crew that it appeared the eagles were doing switches and were now incubating! I was able to go down & confirm that Liberty & Spirit were definitely in incubating position and doing regular switches!

On March 27th, Easter Sunday, we got word from Rick the Maintenance Supervisor at Riverview that Spirit had brought food into the nest and it looked like we had a hatch!!! I went down to the course on March 28th and watched Liberty do numerous feedings so we knew for sure we chicks up there!

On April 11th, Kit, Sue & I went down to see if we could get a good count on how many eaglets we had in the nest! We were able to confirm that Liberty & Spirit had 2 eaglets this year! Such a great day!

On April 25, 2016 we concluded our naming contest and our 2 new eaglets were named Birdie & Bogey!

On June 3rd, Bogey was out of the nest and appeared to have fledged? It was a bit early, but the Redding heat may have driven him out early? A few weeks later, on June 14th, Kit & I saw Bogey flying short flights in the area around the nest and river!

On June 27, 2016, my last visit to Riverview for the season, Birdie had finally fledged! I found Birdie perched in a tree not too far away from the nest tree!

In June, Liberty & Spirit began visiting the Turtle Bay area again! It was such a treat to see our eagles back on Bluff Branch and Family Tree and Liberty's Island, their usual hangouts!

Finally, on July 6, 2016 Ospreyman Jim took Kit & I downriver on his boat to check on our fledglings Birdie & Bogey one more time! We found both of them hanging out together in the trees along the river near their nest at Riverview. They hadn't ventured all that far from the nest, but they were spending time together and enjoying the coolness of the Sacramento River.

Our eagles are not tracked in any way, so we don't know exactly where they go during the hot summer months of August and September? But, we don't see them in the Turtle Bay area during those months and we haven't heard of any sightings down at Riverview lately either? Eagle Researchers like David Hancock believe that the male and female do not stay together during these months, nor do the offspring stay with the parents. So, they are all on their own, trying to survive to the best of their ability!

Wherever they are, we wish them all well & we know they are all enjoying living the life of an eagle!
Soar far & free young ones!
We hope to see you again in October Liberty & Spirit!
~Terri

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, August 10 2016 @ 11:38 AM EDT  
karenbills

So well put, Terri, but then that's why you were able to author a book about Liberty and Patriot. You have a gift for writing.

Wishing the fledglings well for the future and looking forward to the return of Liberty and Spirit this fall.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

All times are EST. The time is now 06:33 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate