Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
  Dunedin, Fl Osprey Cam- 2016-2017
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, May 14 2016 @ 08:52 PM EDT  
JudyB

Oh no - thank you, Jean and Michelle, for the reports and the pictures - and Jean, I'm so sorry you had to bring us the most recent report. Keeping fingers crossed that the two surviving chicks do well, however that all plays out.

And I'm so sorry the other chick didn't survive the fall - rest in peace, little one. sad

And big hugs to all who watch this nest.
hug

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, May 14 2016 @ 09:21 PM EDT  
amd

Jean, I thank you for sharing the latest news here, that couldn't have been easy. Big Hugs.....

I'm sorry but I am in shock about what I just read. I'm so devastated for our family here ....I really thought that all three of the kids
were looking well, and eating well when we could still see them....I thought it, but I guess I was wrong Cry Hanky
I just don't want to believe that this has happened...poor little one that didn't survive the fall, my heart is so broken sad

Are there cases where a more aggressive chick will push the weaker ones out? There could have been an intruder? I know, we
will probably never know.

thank you JudyB for your thoughtful post too...
I hope that the second chick that fell will pull through, glad that it is getting the help and care that it needs
and hopefully all will be alright with Pinella, Stirling and last chick on the nest.

thanks again Jean, take care everyone hug

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, May 14 2016 @ 10:44 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Jean, Michelle, I am so sorry! I also peeked in here from time to time and saw the healthy chicks. They looked big enough to be safe. Fly free little one. We'll be hoping for the other to get strength and recover. Hugs to you,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Tuesday, May 17 2016 @ 06:02 PM EDT  
amd

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Good afternoon friends, its been several days since I have posted anything
but there hasn't been much to give for new information

No updates as of this afternoon on the camera situation, as well as on the status of the chick that
was rescued/survived the fall. from what I could read on the FB page, Jean hasn't heard anything yet
so keeping positive thoughts and crossing fingers and toes that we hear some positive news soon. Smile

Meanwhile, I will share these beautiful pics of Dad and Mom, that were taken Sunday evening and posted yesterday by Kim Sauls Begay
with thanks ---please click on them for a larger view so that you can read the text
Click on image to download

and here is one for memories...tears welling up a bit , this pic was taken by Nancy Abouhanna, on April 25
-3 sweet babies, growing up so fast

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Wednesday, May 18 2016 @ 03:26 PM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Good afternoon, Michelle, Bev, Carolyn, Judy B and all who have followed the Dunedin Osprey Cam.

I have been in contact with Sparky Jones who founded and supported the cam for many years. With all the camera issues she has been facing, she has put a lot of consideration as to what to do and has decided to drop coverage of the cam. This is the letter I posted this afternoon on the FB page. The FB page will be shut down this evening. Cry Hanky

"Two years in a row now, the Dunedin Osprey cam has had a premature end to the season due to camera issues. Unfortunately it always seems to happen at the most critical times of the nesting season.

Sparky Jones founded the cam with the city and organized it for many years, using it as an education endeavor for citizens of Dunedin and the world. After much consideration, Sparky has decided to drop coverage of the cam. Unless someone else decides to step up to take over the operation of the DundeinOspreyCam.org as well as funding it, we shall bid adieu to looking into the lives of Pinella and Stirling.

I have enjoyed being Administrator of the Dunedin Osprey Cam Facebook. I have met a lot of wonderful people who share in the love of Ospreys and the trials and tribulations they go through. I will certainly miss seeing Pinella and Stirling on the live cam, but will certainly stop by to visit them when down in the area each spring!

Many thanks go out to Sparky who made this all possible! And thanks to all you viewers that helped make memories with your comments and photos, Adieu to you!

Jean"

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Wednesday, May 18 2016 @ 04:46 PM EDT  
amd

Cry Hanky oh no......I am so sad about this, I've been so attached to this special family over the years, like so many that follow this nest

I still am hoping that somehow someone will step up and help with the funds
and work involved with operation of this cam. oh man.....sad

It really has been a privilege to have watched Pinella and Stirling, and their babies
from year to year....gosh......
my heartfelt thanks to you Jean, and to Sparky for all of your hard work, and efforts regarding the cam and also the FB page.
Bev - I am thinking about you, all the work that you also have done on this thread, can never thank you enough --- big hugs

I am sharing some FB pics, these being most recent/taken this morning --- gorgeous pics taken by the most talented Kim Sauls Begay
so beautiful, I am in tears. There are so many good good memories that we will always cherish from this season and seasons past.

thank you Kim!
Pinella and female chick are looking good love please click on the pics for larger view, its so worth it!

***Jean, did you hear anything about the rescued chick's status/progress?

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, May 18 2016 @ 06:25 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

I too am sorry, yet totally understand. It takes so much to run these cams. Thank you Sparky, Jean and all the folks who posted here, Bev, Michelle, etc.

I hope we can keep in touch enough to find out about the rescued chick. Mom and the female chick look wonderful. Maybe pictures will warm our hearts for this year.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Tweet Dreams (offline) on Thursday, May 19 2016 @ 09:55 AM EDT  
Tweet Dreams

Thursday, May 19

Good Morning Friends!
Yes, it is so sad that we had to call the end to a beautiful season that went so bad. Right from the beginning of this cam's birth, there have been on-going issues with the camera, certainly more than any other cam I have been involved with! The fact it is not a private cam, but controlled by several departments of the city of Dunedin, makes it difficult to get problems resolved in a timely fashion. All the controls are inside the golf course club house which is not run by the city anymore. When Sparky Jones was involved in the every day running of the cam, I could call her when the cam went down and she would run over and either reset it or plug it in if it happened that someone accidently disconnected it. When Sparky stepped down then we were totally at the mercy of the city. Sparky continued to cover the cost of running the cam, replacing them when they went bad, as well as paying for the website and person handling it for her. I know it was a difficult decision to make regarding not to continue it any longer, but I totally understand!

Gena Hudson sent me two pictures she took at the nest this morning. One of Pinella and the remaining chick and Stirling up on one of the picnic poles. I have asked both Gena and Kim Sauls Begay to join Hancock and post their pictures here or to keep me updated when they visit the nest and send me photos to post for them. Hopefully this will help us see the end of this season through their eyes! - Jean

Pinella and our chick

Stirling on 3rd picnic pole

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
~~Jean~~

Forum

Aiken, South
Carolina

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:01 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate