Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Lafarge Vancouver BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Lafarge 2015/2016 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos
 |  Printable Version
By: garyandjudi (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 02:17 PM EDT  
garyandjudi

Hi wave Lafarge/Pandora eagle lovers and friends

You know speaking of a band.... a female showed up on the Vanier Park nest tree last season with a band but only stayed a while and when Pa Vanier was crying over deceased ma Vanier he didn't accept her and she finally gave him up and left....there was also a we think male juvenile that cryed over the loss of ma Vanier also..but that's water under the bridge now so just maybe if Lady has a band not accepted by pa Vanier she pursued Pa Lafarge after the loss of Ma Lafarge as the nests are pretty close to each other in proximity along the Vanouver waterfront,,,,,just a thoughtPuzzledChin and we named her Lady

Pa and Lady Lafarge Avatar

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 02:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

I agree, Sandra - very confusing.

I'm now wondering if Lady with band and floppy wing is contentedly incubating her eggs at Pandora and staying away from Lafarge, and Pa is occasionally stopping by because this is his territory - but is spending most of his time nearer Pandora, with banded Lady.

And I'm still not positive there are two females in the equation - but I'm leaning in that direction.

And I hope Christine, Stan and Annemie will be able to spend some time this weekend seeing just who is in the area near the new nest.

And now I really am leaving for a few hours. Smile

Added -
Thanks for reminding us of that, Judi - another interesting part of the equation.

And I'm now thinking I'm going to put the cam on patrol - I'm curious if we might see Lady with wing taking a break on the cross - her profile is distinct even at that distance.

Added -
Looks as if someone is on the cross

Click on image to download

And someone on the Square Arch

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 02:27 PM EDT  
stim

You are quick Judy! I caught them both too, one on the church cross while another is on the SA! So who's on the eggs? I know they aren't covered 24/7 from cam watching for years.

Another idea to consider Judi, that the banded female interested in Vanier Pa may have ended up here. The answer to that idea we will never know.

Both eagles stayed at their respective perches for a good while. At 11:51 I noticed both were gone.

I must be gone now too. Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 03:22 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: karenbills

What a year this has been for us at Lafarge, eh? Lady certainly is keeping us guessing.

As I said on the other nest threads, we hope to see some of our Hancock members at OWL's open house next weekend, the 23rd and 24th. David will be speaking at 11 AM both days. I'll be at the HWF booth and I'm still looking for help to man our table, especially on Saturday while David is inside giving his eagle talk. The raptor release will be at 1 PM both days as well.

I now have one volunteer that can help on either day but not both. So if you can help on Saturday or Sunday, please let me know at karen@hancockwildlife.org

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 04:26 PM EDT  
Annemie

Quote by: JudyB

That looks promising, Sandra. I'll try to check the archives in a few minutes - she left too quickly for me to try for a s'cap of her leg as she lifted off.

I'm going to need to be away from the computer for a while - am thinking of leaving it on a fairly close view of the nest. I'm thinking that should give us a chance of seeing the band, and I doubt if we could anywhere else except the sand tower roof, and they don't spend much time there.

Added -
I'm putting some background on the discovery of Lady's band, and on her wing in the Lafarge Nest Neighborhood thread - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=872194#872194 - hopefully that will make it easier for us to check dates and for me to remember which leg and which wing. Smile

A question for Christine, Annemie, Stan and others who may have seen the eagles at Pandora - the cam went down March 22, and Lady's wing was still sticking out then, and they were acting as if there was an egg on March 24 - do you know when Lady stopped holding her wing out?

I'm looking through the thread and it looks as if the wing is still drooping in Pat Cornett's pictures from March 28 (forum/viewtopic.php?topic=865607#865607), and in Annemie's pictures from April 1 (forum/viewtopic.php?topic=867002#867002). Christine reported on Pa's dirty head on April 7 (forum/viewtopic.php?topic=868976#868976) - and when the cam came back April 11, we saw an eagle with a clean head - and no droopy wing (forum/viewtopic.php?topic=870541#870541).

So either there are three eagles involved (unlikely but I'd love to have a clear picture of Lady's band to confirm that) - or it seems that the wing improved markedly in about 10 days.

Hi everyone

Yes JudyB. I do know when I noticed that Lady's wing was healing. It was April 1st. when I saw both eagles on the cross. Lady's wing was drooping part of the time and part of the time she was holding it up. I have noticed the same thing a couple of days later when I saw her at the nest tree. So I think it took Lady about 2 weeks before she could keep her wing up most or all of the time.
Also as I have been posting before, Stan has been at the nest almost every day and I try to visit when I can and we have never seen three eagles.

Thank's you Karen for explaining to me how the whole eagle egg duty is being worked out by the eagles.

wave

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Eastvan Girl (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 05:55 PM EDT  
Eastvan Girl

Wow just got home from work and have been reading all these entries about a possible third eagle. And I am now racking my brain trying to remember when Lady was holding her wing better. I do know that is was very recent because it confused me, I kept thinking it was Pa instead of her. I am really not sure about it. I know I have not seen 3 eagles at the same time in the area, and more often than not there seems to be an eagle on the eggs in the nest. Right now, (2:50pm) it looks to be Pa because the head looks to be a bit dirty, but I can't be certain. Last night around dusk (8pmish) I saw an eagle on the AN nest cam and thought the way the wing was being held that is was Lady so I think she is still around. I will head over there as much as I can this weekend after I work and hopefully can see things more clearly.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: SueD (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 07:04 PM EDT  
SueD

3:59-4:01 p.m.: Eagle perched on the building, yelling at crows and seagulls.
4:03 p.m.: Seagull perched on this building.

aka byline ~ 2012

Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2016 @ 07:41 PM EDT  
Annemie

These pictures of Lady on the AN were taken at 2:30 pm from Franklin St. standing between Victoria St. and Semlin, looking North.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate