You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 Delta 2 - 2014/15 Cam Discussions/Obs, Pics, Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 01:50 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: Fisheye

Hi all, Karen & David you can set up a Gofundme campaign online with your proposal people do it all the time. Check it out . Many people have had success from doing it that way...

Thanks for the suggestion, Kathy. Once again, a volunteer is needed to undertake these fundraising projects. I have advertised for fundraiser volunteers in the past with no success. We also have had a discussion thread for fund raising here in the forum right from the beginning but most of those members say they have run out of ideas.

I think after 10 years, many of us are suffering from what I call 'volunteer fatigue'. We need new blood to take on some of these needed projects, especially now when we are fighting to maintain any of our cameras, not just erecting a pole for an artificial nest (AN) at Delta 2 that Ma and Pa are not likely to use, especially for the first or two year after it is installed. I have to say that because that has been our experience in all of the AN nests that David has erected. We don't want to be accused of misleading anyone. David thinks this is a 'no-brainer' that I'm reminding you of this but we don't want flak from anyone if Ma and Pa don't use the AN for which you have donated funds.

Don't forget that HWF needs an average of $3,500 monthly in donations to meet our annual costs. We never receive anything close to that amount as most people only give in the spring/early summer months when they see eagles in the nest. David Hancock can no longer make up the difference and that's why he has only given approval for Ken to do any work on cams for White Rock and Harrison Mills, where there are sponsors for those nests.

I hope this helps clarify the situation we are facing currently.

Now then, I have told David that so far we have received a promise of $2,600 so it's not looking like we can raise the $12,000 needed. He said he would take JudyB's suggestion (thank you, Judy!!) to remove the cams from Delta 3 since those cams have no sponsor and therefore will no longer be given any tech support. Therefore David will have to pay for tree climbers to go up and remove the cams but, by doing so, we can probably save $5,000. In other words, he says we can probably erect a nest pole for $7,000.

So once again, I ask that no one send any money at this time. If we receive the $7,000 then I will let you know when to send your donations. This is because I have been asked what will happen if we don't raise enough money. Some people would be upset if their contribution did not go to the project they wanted.

GOAL: $7,000
Total received in 'pledges' at this time: $2,600

Don't forget to email me with your pledges so I can add to the total. karen@hancockwildlife.org

Thank you to everyone who cares enough to pledge and/or offer their suggestions. We love Ma and Pa Delta 2.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: kittycatldy (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 03:23 PM EDT  
kittycatldy

Karen,

Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop!!! Certainly appreciate all your hard work and dedication.....Thank You

Keeping all talons crossed for Ma and Pa..fingers crossed

Crystal

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 03:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Karen, and those who know the area better than I do - is there somewhere (another tree or the roof of the house or whatever) where a camera could be placed and offer a view of the poles where the adults perch, what's left of the nest tree, and some of the other trees in the area in case they try to build a nest in one of those?

I'm thinking that would be less expensive than installing an artificial nest (though having one there as an option would be great if we can pull that off), and could be done sooner, though I don't actually have any idea how long it would take to build and install an artificial nest.

And big thanks to all who have offered to donate towards all this!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 04:48 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Hi everyone.... I have a question...... were the cams at Delta 2 sponsored and if so will the current sponsors continue to do so if we are lucky enough to get enough donations here ... I am confused... one other thing... we are hoping and praying that the new owners at H Mills will continue to sponsor the cams there and am i correct that the cams at WR are not fully sponsored?

Judy.... That ia a good suggestion! and you are welcome......

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Karen will be able to clarify this a bit more, Bev, but I believe there are actually three components to sponsorship.

The first is the initial installation (and equipment replacement and upgrades as needed):
- White Rock - the homeowners generously sponsored the initial cams, wiring, tree climbers, and the new PTZ cams
- Harrison Mills - Pretty Estates generously sponsored the initial cams, the very tall lift to install them, and the upgrades two years ago
- Delta 2 - there may have been some initial support, and I know the zoomers and chatters made a generous donation at one point, but I think David absorbed quite a bit of the initial cost here, as well as subsequent upgrades

The next is the annual service charge, which covers Ken's trips to the nest, replacement servers, and things like that; I believe that runs around $3000-5000/year (possibly more if a tree climber is needed to replace something in the tree or clean the cams) - and I'm not sure if we have that for any of the cams at this point, or how long we'll be able to keep any of them running if we don't get that. This is what Karen is collecting pledges for at Delta 2 - and as long as the cams at Harrison Mills don't need any in-tree service, I'm guessing this is what we would need for sponsorship to keep them running for another year (and because of the distance involved, HM would be nearer $5000 than $3000, I suspect).

The third major expense is the internet hookup. Last I knew, Shaw Cable was generously providing a connection for White Rock, Delta Cable was generously providing a connection for Delta 2, and I'm not sure about Harrison Mills - it's possible that because they are a resort, they already have a high-volume connection, and are in effect sponsoring that.

In addition to all that, we also need to pay for the servers that host our website and forum - things like renting physical space, electricity, high speed/high volume internet connection, etc. David and Karen donate their time - and probably pick up expenses that really should be paid by HWF, though I don't know the details of all that.

I hope that provides a framework for discussion - and Karen, please feel free to clarify as needed! Thanks!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 06:15 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Thank so much Judy for the detailed explanationBig hugs........ I don't know how you and others keep this all straight......... you have provided me with a better understanding.... Thank You

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 06:37 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: JudyB

Karen, and those who know the area better than I do - is there somewhere (another tree or the roof of the house or whatever) where a camera could be placed and offer a view of the poles where the adults perch, what's left of the nest tree, and some of the other trees in the area in case they try to build a nest in one of those?

I'm thinking that would be less expensive than installing an artificial nest (though having one there as an option would be great if we can pull that off), and could be done sooner, though I don't actually have any idea how long it would take to build and install an artificial nest.

And big thanks to all who have offered to donate towards all this!

There is the 'barn tree' as some members call it where Ma and Pa sometimes perch. Whether that is a good spot for a cam is another question.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: IrishEyes

Hi everyone.... I have a question...... were the cams at Delta 2 sponsored and if so will the current sponsors continue to do so if we are lucky enough to get enough donations here ... I am confused... one other thing... we are hoping and praying that the new owners at H Mills will continue to sponsor the cams there and am i correct that the cams at WR are not fully sponsored?

Judy.... That ia a good suggestion! and you are welcome......

No, Bev, Delta 2 has never been sponsored. Delta Cable has provided the connection at no charge but that is it. Therefore Delta 2 was not going to continue after this year anyway.

White Rock is mostly sponsored by the property owner. He pays for everything except for the yearly maintenance fee for which he provides about 40% ($2,000) of it and we have to raise the other 60%, meaning $3,000.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

All times are EST. The time is now 07:49 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate