The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, July 08 2015 @ 01:44 AM EDT  
Annemie

As mentioned, pa flew over to the old Cottonwood tree.

Click on image to download

This is the same picture cropped and enlarged.

Click on image to download

How will they decide where to build next ?

There is not much choice here.
The Cottonwood trees seem to be falling apart and the fir trees are leaning right over Hastings st. and that hard sidewalk is what killed our eaglets.
I wish we could help some how.

As Stan has already reported , we saw ma and pa again tonight.
No pictures, sorry.

Also, I am happy that the little gosling is at a safe place tonight.
Wildlife Rescue will take good care of it, till it will be returned to its family.
Thank you Elisabeth for that and thank you Stan for your report and help.

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Marg (offline) on Wednesday, July 08 2015 @ 03:12 PM EDT  
Marg

Good pics and reports Annemie.wave
Time will tell I guess where they'll build.

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Tuesday, July 21 2015 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
Steamer

Ma and Pa are still hanging around the old Cottonwood tree but no obvious signs of a new nest in the area folks Chin

Announcement

On a very happy note Smile Annemie and I were involved in the release this afternoon of the injured gosling reported a while back at the PNE Sanctuary pond that we helped rescue. Along for the release was a younger gosling that had been treated for a broken leg which was being introduced to the group. The one from the Sanctuary fit in right away with its entire family and the newcomer to the park and pond looks like it will fit in with the group over time fingers crossed

Promised to keep a close eye on that situation for Wildlife Rescue.....

It was amazing to see the wonderful sense of freedom both these goslings showed on their release. Both took a short flight before they settled in...very happy to be wild and free again Very Happy

Incredible amount of thanks and gratitude to Elizabeth and everyone at Wildlife Rescue for everything you do ClappingLeft thumb up Thank You

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Tuesday, July 21 2015 @ 10:05 PM EDT  
stim

How heartwarming for you both Stan. What a perfect follow through to your part in the rescue. I bet you feel like proud aunt and uncle now. Will you recognize your gosling as well as the newcomer with the rest of the family? Leg bands perhaps? Kudos to you and Annemie for a job well done.
See you tomorrow!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Wednesday, July 22 2015 @ 01:13 AM EDT  
Steamer

Quote by: stim

How heartwarming for you both Stan. What a perfect follow through to your part in the rescue. I bet you feel like proud aunt and uncle now. Will you recognize your gosling as well as the newcomer with the rest of the family? Leg bands perhaps? Kudos to you and Annemie for a job well done.
See you tomorrow!

The new little guy is a easy spot when he's out of the water stim. Even though the leg has healed it still has a bit of a limp which will improve over time we were told. It also has some bare areas in front where feathers are just starting to come back in after its operation. I hope this little trouper get accepted into the group fingers crossed. It was trying so hard at times tonight to join in but still a tough call based on the way the adults behave when it ever tries to get close. Wildlife Rescue said its a 50/50 shot that its going to work...I'll keep the faith.

The really good news stim is the one we helped rescue is behaving like it never left...all is good! Very Happy We'll chat more about it in person tomorrow....

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sctth4 (offline) on Sunday, July 26 2015 @ 10:43 PM EDT  
sctth4

I have been hearing a fair bit noise at night, but today there was a lot of screaming, was definitely coming from the old nest area. Couldn't see anything but the crows were going crazy.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, September 26 2015 @ 10:20 PM EDT  
Annemie

This post marks the start of the 2015/16 season

Please see the first post of this thread for links to the start of previous seasons.

wave

Very Happy Our beloved Hastings eagles are back home.

They were sitting in there last years nest tree in the sun for the entire hour we were at the lake. Sunny

Poor dad was sitting where their nest had been last year and ma was sitting below dad on a branch.

What are they to do now? Puzzled

They lost their babies and their nests two years in a row as we all know.

David said that they need help with building a new nest, otherwise it might look bleak for them.

The old tree in the Hastings parking lot has still too much dirt sitting between the branches which would make a new nest unstable.

The other trees are not too good for a new nest.

For now I have not seen them building a new nest.

Last year they started to rebuild right away.

Also branches are hard to get as the ground crew at the PNE removes any fallen branches in the park and also in the parking lot pretty much right away.

Anyway, our eagles look beautiful and well nourished.

There feathers are shiny and clean.

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Saturday, September 26 2015 @ 10:50 PM EDT  
Jean

wave That is great news Annemie! I am happy to hear of their safe return but now they face the decision making process..............where or where to build a nest? Thanks to you and Stan for keeping watch here. I think these eagles are quite early coming back, but don't know if they are always earlier than the ones we watch on cam. They are the first local ones I've heard of returning from their summer travels.........good to have them home.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate