Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2015 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: Yolande (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 12:10 PM EST  
Yolande

Morning Bev and all Harrison friends! S. embedded cam is still down for me too, Bev - although until a few minutes ago all the cams were down, regardless of which search engine I tried. That started last night.

enlargement of those three beauties
Click on image to download

ADD: I am out for a few hours - catch you later. Nodding yes

aka yojopro

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 12:19 PM EST  
IrishEyes

TY Yolande... Yes I knew that and i did report ours last night and all the nests early this morning.hug

Three adults with one juvie on the very top of the stacking tree.
I will keeping checking the nest to make sure our adults are not there.

9:25am
'WOW! Look at those eagles on the flats
9:27am
This is third one i saw flying over ,one after the other

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 12:43 PM EST  
IrishEyes

9:39am
'I zoomed all around again........ it is raining......there are many eagles on the flats........ three adults and a juvie on the stacking tree..............
N Cam is on the nest.........
9:41am

No news on the S Cam......

Feel free to zoom on the N Cam but i suggest to check the nest from time to time to make sure our adults are not there.................Thank You

9:43am
I am off the N PTZ Cam.........

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 01:33 PM EST  
karenbills

Yolande - You were asking about the number of eagle nests in the Harrison Mills area and I apologize that I forgot to include that in my post yesterday. We know of 2 nests along Hwy. #7 just before Morris Valley Road, 1 on the north side and 1 over on Harrison Bay. They are both occupied by eagles so we know they are not alternate nests.

Over at the Kilby Historical Site there are 2 different nests about a mile or so apart, both occupied by pairs so we know they are not alternate nests. On the east side of the Harrison River are another 2 nests occupied by different pairs.

During the eagle festival some of our HWF members were walking along the shore and found a new nest that cannot be see from our cams. David and I have never seen it although we looked for it after being told about it. So there are at least 7 or 8 other nests in the HM area as David also found a new occupied nest to the north of our HM cam nest. Therefore it's very hard to tell which of these eagles are perching in the nearby trees because Ma and Pa Harrison Mills aka Mr. and Mrs. Honeycomb have lots of neighbors.

David has over 360 nests marked on his eagle map that he has personally numbered. As there are obviously many other nests here in the Lower Mainland that have not been reported to us, there are probably at least 500 eagle nests in the Metro Vancouver/Lower Fraser Valley area as far east as Harrison Mills on the north and Chilliwack on the south. When you considered that back in the 60s when David was doing his graduate work on bald eagles, he could only find 3 nests - 1 at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver, 1 in Stanley Park and 1 on Dollarton Hwy. in North Vancouver!! What a great comeback the bald eagle has made.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: RitaR (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 02:20 PM EST  
RitaR

Hi Karen. Wow! That is very interesting. Thank you so much for that post. That is amazing!

Forum

Oregon Coast

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM EST  
IrishEyes

Quote by: karenbills

Yolande - You were asking about the number of eagle nests in the Harrison Mills area and I apologize that I forgot to include that in my post yesterday. We know of 2 nests along Hwy. #7 just before Morris Valley Road, 1 on the north side and 1 over on Harrison Bay. They are both occupied by eagles so we know they are not alternate nests.

Over at the Kilby Historical Site there are 2 different nests about a mile or so apart, both occupied by pairs so we know they are not alternate nests. On the east side of the Harrison River are another 2 nests occupied by different pairs.

During the eagle festival some of our HWF members were walking along the shore and found a new nest that cannot be see from our cams. David and I have never seen it although we looked for it after being told about it. So there are at least 7 or 8 other nests in the HM area as David also found a new occupied nest to the north of our HM cam nest. Therefore it's very hard to tell which of these eagles are perching in the nearby trees because Ma and Pa Harrison Mills aka Mr. and Mrs. Honeycomb have lots of neighbors.

David has over 360 nests marked on his eagle map that he has personally numbered. As there are obviously many other nests here in the Lower Mainland that have not been reported to us, there are probably at least 500 eagle nests in the Metro Vancouver/Lower Fraser Valley area as far east as Harrison Mills on the north and Chilliwack on the south. When you considered that back in the 60s when David was doing his graduate work on bald eagles, he could only find 3 nests - 1 at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver, 1 in Stanley Park and 1 on Dollarton Hwy. in North Vancouver!! What a great comeback the bald eagle has made.

AWesome.......Thank you so very much Karen..... I will add this info...... to the opening post of this thread.... and a huge thank you to you Yolande for asking this question....... .
Busy time at home......BBL

ADDED
11:51am
Nest is empty...... and i heard trills about 10min ago. I am unable to zoom right now....

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Yolande (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 03:33 PM EST  
Yolande

Double WOW!, Karen and thanks so much for this information! The comeback is amazing [from the 60's] and is maybe a good example of what citizen involvement, some great advocacy, and decent legislation can do.

No wonder the zoomers can almost always find an eagle or two on their zooms around the area - this is great to know. And, thanks Bev for adding it to the HM nest intro.

Karen - hope you are seeing all the new movies during your movie download fest - 3rd Hobbit for me tomorrow!

aka yojopro

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, December 19 2014 @ 03:46 PM EST  
IrishEyes

12:45pm
Trills..In N CAm.

12:48pm
Juvie on top stacking tree

ADDED
YW Yolande.

12:51pm

Eagle heaven Cloud 9

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:52 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate