https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Relaxation and Chat Area > Garden Fence Chat
 Friends of Hornby
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, August 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Yep.....but I clean first. I call it cleaning therapy as I always miss them.
It's fun having them here...each year is easier. The big kids can swim so that makes it much simpler.
We are having a high heat index which makes it tough. Hopefully that will break and maybe we can go to the Zoo on Tuesday if so.
We will be swimming soon.

Can't say I am bored!

I hope Scootch is OK.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: beans (offline) on Tuesday, March 31 2015 @ 05:09 PM EDT  
beans

I'm doing much needed yard work and looking forward to being a docent around the nests of Black-crowned Night Herons!

Last spring the USPS ordered the nest trees cut back because the birds were defecating on the USPS trucks parked near the trees. This was illegal on two counts: It is against Federal law to interfere in any way with federally protected migratory birds. The trees belong to the city of Oakland, not USPS, and it is illegal for anyone else to trim them.

Sadly, many babies fell from the trees. We brought them to International Bird Rescue in Fairfield. Sadly, the one I brought there died of traumatic brain injury. I made many visits to the trees last year. This year, Audubon will be involved and I'll work with them.

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: jbkgrants (offline) on Tuesday, March 31 2015 @ 10:18 PM EDT  
jbkgrants

Quote by: beans

I'm doing much needed yard work and looking forward to being a docent around the nests of Black-crowned Night Herons!

Last spring the USPS ordered the nest trees cut back because the birds were defecating on the USPS trucks parked near the trees. This was illegal on two counts: It is against Federal law to interfere in any way with federally protected migratory birds. The trees belong to the city of Oakland, not USPS, and it is illegal for anyone else to trim them.

Sadly, many babies fell from the trees. We brought them to International Bird Rescue in Fairfield. Sadly, the one I brought there died of traumatic brain injury. I made many visits to the trees last year. This year, Audubon will be involved and I'll work with them.

Thank you beans for your efforts to help these magnificent birds. It is so painful to see such little concern for their welfare by USPS, and that it cost some of the birds their lives. It is ironic that USPS is a Federal agency involved in violation of a Federal law.... Great to see you beans and thanks for updating us on this issue!

Jill, Member since April 10, 2009

Forum

McKinney, Texas

Profile Email Website PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, March 31 2015 @ 10:40 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Beans for being a caretaker for these Great Blue Herons. They sure need an advocate. I am sad the one you took passed on.
with love,
carolyn

I did tell you Bleu, my golden, is named after the Great Blue Heron, right?

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:12 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate