Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Osprey..Halifax, N.S.--2014.
 |  Printable Version
By: deewerms (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
deewerms

i am home now, very hot here too (tried to post this twice) we were posting same time Bev, just see yours under mine, will look at the link, ty

141pm was cute mom had two of the three under her, it was like she was talking to third one

Click on image to download

and then, under he goes

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Here is a great article

Reptilian Stage

Posted on June 18, 2014 by Lisa.Blackwater NWR Osprey Cam

CLICK HERE

and here is an excellent link provided by Jazzel

HERE

added
1:50pm

I think C 2 is facing us.. C1 and C3 cuddled close to mom

BBL

ADDED
HI Doreen......... TY for the scaps.... too funny.........posting at the same time..........

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 12:59 PM EDT  
deewerms

hi Bev, posted above you and wrote you a short note, enjoyed that link, they are so picky looking, bet they will be itchy with all those little pin feathers. sad about that nest though losing their chicks to predators, that's why i hate to see ours left alone. anyway, i think they are adorable either stage Wub i like the little stripes.

157pm mom sitting with chicks in front of her just looking around calmly

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 01:21 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Here is an interesting post with thanks to JudyB from last year on the Calgary Osprey Nest

Thanks so much for your report, Michelle - so happy to hear that all three are still looking good! And it is wonderful to see some of the animals relaxing in their habitats - I loved the picture of the tigers!

Asking the folks at the Montana nests about the males eating the heads of fish is a great idea, carolyn! Jazzel may also know - I expect she's very busy with the nests she monitors this time of year, but she may also pop

Here is what I know (or what I think I know - subject to change when we hear from the experts ) -

1) The male needs to remain strong throughout the nesting season. Fishing is hard work, and he needs to deliver a whole lot of fish to the female and chicks while they're on the nest, and he typically stays with the chicks for a month or so after they fledge, providing supplemental food while they learn to fish (which I suspect is partly by instinct and partly by watching him). I believe I have read that the meat in the head is a good source of protein and other nutrients, but in terms of point #1, the important thing (I think) is that he must eat regularly, and as the chicks get bigger, it's less likely that there will be leftovers.

As an aside, the female traditionally eats after the male and after the chicks - so she's likely to lose weight over the nesting season, and may not be at full strength because she hasn't done much flying for several months because she does much of the incubating, and all the brooding on many nests. There are exceptions, but females generally leave first for migration, often within a week or two after the final chick fledges. I've always assumed that was to allow them to go at a leisurely pace, spending time along the way at favorite fishing spots, regaining their strength for the longer flights towards the end, when they may have to fly a substantial distance over open water.

And as a further aside, osprey are actually stronger fliers than eagles, because much of their flying is done over water, where there are not the thermals that eagles use to soar much of the time.

And the final aside for point 1 - as those who were following these osprey last year know, last year's male was lost in a bad hailstorm two days after the youngest chick fledged. Mom waited a couple of days for fish to be delivered - and then she was able to step out of her traditional role, and began bringing fish to the nest for the fledglings. She stayed with them and made sure they were well fed until they left on migration - and she did that at the point when her own energy stores were almost certainly quite low - definitely a Super-Mom!

2) The other advantage to Dad eating the head before delivering the fish is that it ensures that the fish is dead. Some fish are quite big, and some chicks are quite small, and it would be very easy for a young chick to be injured or knocked from the nest by a fish flopping about on the nest.

Added - I was reminded (thanks, Bev!) and actually meant to mention but forgot - it's not unusual for live fish to be brought to the nest near or after fledging - perhaps because the fledglings need to learn what to do with food that moves, and perhaps because the newly flighted offspring are not willing to wait, and giving them the fish is easier than having a chick or two perch on Dad's head while waiting for it to be prepared (slight exaggeration )

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 01:30 PM EDT  
deewerms

229pm nest is empty of mom, just came by and see babies alone snoozing
231pm mom is back, calling out, goes to chicks and mantling them while looking around

will read the info in min. Bev, watching mom right now, all worked up over ??

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 01:34 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Doreen.I read your note and yes it was sad about the BW chicks...Cry......it can happen in a blink of an eye

2:34pm

Mom is back

Mom shading the chicks

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 01:36 PM EDT  
deewerms

cont. couple more scaps, mom seems calmer now
235pm

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

By: deewerms (offline) on Tuesday, July 01 2014 @ 02:01 PM EDT  
deewerms

just read the Osprey info above from Judy B, ty for posting, all very familiar and interesting, and it is so important to me also to see dad eat the heads off the fish, saw a few times on different nests over the years how tiny new chicks almost got killed by a flopping fish, so the article is so true.

259pm mom looking around while shading the chicks BBL

Doreen Salem, NH
joined Sept.2 2008

Forum

Salem, NH

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate