Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Other Osprey Nests & News
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, May 23 2014 @ 09:42 PM EDT  
JudyB

I do hear you, jazzel, but this pair has made decorating into an art form, and it's hard not to laugh (though it's reassuring to know that they do not have a non-intervention policy, and will go into the nest if needed to rescue one of the chicks or adults from something produced by humans).

We're thinking the bag contained Clementines, Karen, though it's hard to tell - and are hoping it disappears soon.

I'm hoping this picture isn't too big - as you may have noticed, the regular posters on the primary forum for this nest have a bit of a pirate theme, so we all had a bit of a laugh when Mom Lola appeared with what looked a lot like a cutlass!

On a more serious note, they have been bringing in a lot of sticks today and working on the rails, so I hope that means they're hearing activity in one or more of the eggs. We are guessing the first egg is likely not going to hatch, but have hopes for the other three.

I'll try to contact Fortis over the weekend, and will let everyone know what I learn. That's a great nest, and I'd love to see what happens there.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Karen Saunders (offline) on Friday, May 23 2014 @ 10:08 PM EDT  
Karen Saunders

Jazzel, I apologize if I made you believe that I am in favour of throwing trash around. In fact, I am exactly the opposite. I am an environmentalist who believes in sorting every bit of garbage into their proper places for disposal! I was just surprised that the nest contained what appeared like a bag of groceries.

Judy, that picture is not too big for my computer program. Thank you for trying to contact FortisAB. That nest is very interesting.

Karen, Esquimalt, BC
member since April, 2009

Forum

Esquimalt BC

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM EDT  
jkr

Karen I heard nothing from Fortis --- not sure if JudyB has or not.

I have started a thread but only because I can't see a power company actually turning us down. If need be we will delete it later but I can't see the possibility that we will have to do that.
forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=659791

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to follow this camera.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Karen Saunders (offline) on Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 03:34 PM EDT  
Karen Saunders

Thank You JKR Grin

I follow this cam every day because my best friend lives in Canmore and I hope she will get hooked on this site as well (think she will) fingers crossed

Karen, Esquimalt, BC
member since April, 2009

Forum

Esquimalt BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, May 29 2014 @ 05:21 PM EDT  
JudyB

I apologize for not following up with Fortis - I've been out straight and it completely slipped my mind. I also can't see there being a problem, as they do provide links for embedding the cam. And we are providing credit, which is all most places ask.

Update on the Milford Connecticut osprey - three eggs hatched on May 25th - and the fourth egg hatched yesterday! So the first egg was indeed viable, and hatched on Day 43, maybe a couple of hours before the second egg, which was on Day 40; they both hatched in the morning, and the third egg hatched late in the evening, on Day 37. And yesterday was Day 37 for #4.

The happy family, from earlier today:

Click on image to download

There are more pictures and videos on the Maine forum - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 0#msg85370 and a local observer was at the observation tower this afternoon, so there will probably be additional pictures from that perspective posted there tonight.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: ConfusionCircle (offline) on Monday, June 09 2014 @ 02:45 AM EDT  
ConfusionCircle

This is Mom from the Harrison Mills nest. Both Mom & Dad are still sitting on the eggs. As I was sitting and observing this nest, none other than Mr. David Hancock himself pulled up in his car! We sat and chatted for a bit until we both had to leave.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, June 09 2014 @ 10:46 AM EDT  
JudyB

Hi everyone! Great picture of the Harrison Mills osprey, ConfusionCircle - thank you!

As a brief update, the Milford osprey are doing fine. The three big ones are into the growth spurt stage, and the little one has taken off yet - but he's getting plenty of food at most of the feedings, and I've seen very little rivalry.

Here's a picture of the little one and one of the big ones being fed while the other big ones are resting; I'm pretty sure the big one eating is not the largest chick - but even the smallest "big" is quite a bit bigger than Little. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, June 09 2014 @ 10:54 AM EDT  
JudyB

I also wanted to note for our records here another rather amazing nest - Greenbelt's Osprey Cam on the Allyn Cox Reservation in Essex, Massachusetts - http://www.ecga.org/what_we_do/osprey_cam. They laid four eggs, and we watched eagerly as hatching time drew near, and then worried as the days passed, and finally all of us agreed they wouldn't have chicks this year - and then - there was a chick! It was first seen the morning of June 8 - which was day 45 for the 4th egg. I've always assumed that 40-41 days was about the limit for osprey, as for eagles - but after seeing an egg hatch on Day 43 in Milford, and on Day 44-45 here (the chick looked strong in the morning, so clearly hatched overnight) - I may need to rethink that. Here are a couple of pictures from this morning.

And a feeding:

For better or worse, there are some challenges here. I think there may be intruders in the area - and I think Mom may be somewhat inexperienced, though she's doing a good job feeding the chick this morning. But I've also seen her holding out food beyond the reach of the chick, which is a common error new parents seem to make.

Again, I'm not setting up a thread for this nest because I won't have time to do regular updates - if there are people who are interested in watching and posting, please let me or one of the other TAs know and we'll be happy to set up a thread! There is also a thread on the Maine Window-on-Wildlife forum - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 4#msg85954

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate