The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > White Rock #1 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 White Rock 2013 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: SueD (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 11:08 AM EDT  
SueD

Hi, Annie!Byebye

Well, phooey on your electric company, LOL! And how did I miss the eagle? I guess I thought the camera was frozen, but in reality I can see some evergreen leaves/needles just barely moving in the breeze. So the wind must've really died down from the gusts I was seeing/hearing earlier.

8:09 a.m.: This is a new and different view (south PTZ cam)!
Click on image to download
Added 9:00 a.m.: On the wide-angle cam I saw a flock of dark birds (crows?) fly by along the shore, in the direction of the airport. At least a few of them landed in the big evergreen tree off on the distance. Then I may have seen an eagle (seemed to have a white head) flying in the same direction.
Added 9:11 a.m.: Zoomer is doing a bit of panning with the south PTZ cam.

aka byline ~ 2012

Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

9:18a - Sorry this is so blurry of the Heron but focus was giving me a hard time.

Hi Sue, I saw the crows too. I put the cam down on the beach since we tend to see more
action down there.

BB around 3p. Better get off before they knock me off.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Jean (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM EDT  
Jean

11:20am................wave....Good morning Annie, Sue and all! It is pretty quiet here this morning. It is terrific that you saw an eagle on top of the nest tree this morning Annie! I am checking with our N. zoom to see if we can spot anything else of interest. At one point I could see something that may have been an eagle, but too far away to confirm. Here are some s'caps from my tour of the area.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 02:24 PM EDT  
Jean

11:24am................More s'caps.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 02:27 PM EDT  
Jean

11:25am..............And the last.

This is where I saw something that was flapping very large wings, like an eagle flies.............but too far away to confirm. It was taken through the Y branches of the nest tree to the north.

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: davidh (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM EDT  
davidh

Hancock here: Wow -- the White Rock Nest is again The News!
Is the appearance of a female in the WR nest indicative of the eagles' early return from migration or a passing bird?

This adult, so well captured on video by Annie on Sept. 18, shows the bird at ease and eating vigorously in the White Rock nest. I could not see a close up of the fish species to identify the food item but perhaps someone did get a close up?

The interesting question is, that will possibly be answered over the next few weeks, is this adult the resident from last summer, the previous seasons or another passing bird just seeking out a fine obviously safe feeding location? Of course one could even ask: Which of the known five different females that for a time occupied the White Rock nest last season is it? Most likely, we would be expecting the pair that occupied the territory late in the season to be the returning pair.

It will also be interesting to note if she, and it does look like a female, has a mate showing up in the near future or will she take on one as the season progresses? If only we had marked birds so we knew for sure.

I consider this line of beachfront overlooking this eastern shoreline of Boundary Bay to be the best bald eagle habitat in the world. As some of you will recall, this past 2012-2013 nesting season we had 59 or 60 active nest territories in Delta, 29 in Surrey and about 6 in Pt Roberts in Washington State, the 3 political jurisdictions surrounding Boundary Bay. Those are just the nests I have located and numbered. I suspect there are well over 100 active pairs that could spend part of their day or week hunting Boundary Bay.

On top of these nesting eagles we can easily have 1000 to 2500 more non-breeding eagles utilizing these waterways of Boundary Bay, across the farm and urban areas and various landfills westward to the Roberts Bank shorelines throughout the winter and spring. This little southeast corner of the Fraser Valley, basically the cities of Surrey and Delta, are the heartland for eagles.

We certainly have a few very small creeks, many with small runs of salmon whose spawned out carcasses become available through winter, but the big food source are the road kills, hunter wounded and dying waterfowl and shorebirds, and I suspect that the peregrine falcon leftovers are as significant here as they are in the downtown areas. Since we have been running the live streaming cams that offer the intimate view of what the eagles bring to the nest, it is apparent that seasonally the midshipman are one of the most important fish species during the spring and early summer to eagles sharing the shores of Boundary Bay. Similarly voles, to me an unexpected quarry, is incredibly important across the flatlands and blueberry croplands, as is the rat to the more downtown or urban areas.

The interesting missing food supply, at least only randomly and very rarely seen, are sea ducks. I assumed, with some of our cams actually viewing down into the shallows where sea ducks are visible, that more of them would have been coming into the nests as food. Perhaps they are too heavy to carry or too much work to catch when midshipmen as so easily available.

So our 2013 - 2014 season has begun -- welcome! Our next big event after the arrival of all the pairs, will be the huge gathering of eagles along our spawning salmon streams. But much more on that to come. Our Chehalis Flats tower cams will be reinstalled in about two weeks -- as the water levels recede.

David Hancock

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile   Website PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Thank you David! It is always such a pleasure to read your perspective and thoughtful evaluation of events here. We learn so much from you. I wanted it to be Mom but posted that I can't be sure. When I was able to take a closer look at my video, I think that may have been a Vole. I'm sorry I didn't zoom in on it when she first arrived. It seemed to me that it was furry. It could have also been part of a furry roadkill.

Thanks again.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Thursday, September 19 2013 @ 07:51 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

4:48p - No visits today but looks like some fuzz or maybe downy feather caught
in the spiderweb.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate