You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Formerly Live Cams Now Offline > Mission, BC - Bald Eagle Nest
 Mission, BC - Bald Eagle Nest 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: davidh (offline) on Friday, March 29 2013 @ 01:40 AM EDT  
davidh

Update on the Mission Pair:

Mission Pair: I believe this new pair, "Jack & Jill", is going to be successful in terms of eagles, but not in terms of rewarding our viewers and particularly Percy and Debbie, who so magnanimously gave of their time and facilities to get our cams installed. However, the pair has built another nest a few hundred yards south of the nest we have the cams in, in a tree next to where their original nest tree, which fell down in 2010, was located. Good for the eagles but not good for us.

While we have seen the pair on occasion use the cam nest as a resting platform, they are now clearly nesting across the road and have been seen incubating. So disappointing. If you are in the area you will see them hunting the Hatzic Lake as before.

We hope that one or more of the local ground observers will still keep us posted on the pair's progress.

Thanks, Debbie and Percy -- we appreciate your good spirit. Thanks, Pam, for moderating the thread and zooming the cam, along with the other zoomers.

We also thank SHAW Cable who supported the site with their cable connections.

David Hancock

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile   Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, March 29 2013 @ 08:32 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

Good Morning David and Friends and thank you David for the informative post..while this is disappointing for all of us...esp. for the property owners and HWF who took the time and energy to set up the cams on this nest..thank you for that.... i am happy to hear that the eagles are incubating and hunting and hopefully will have a successful season.. i wish them all the best and look forward to some ground observers reports..

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, March 29 2013 @ 02:31 PM EDT  
karenbills

This is indeed a gamble for HWF that did not pay off unfortunately. Now with our new PTZ cams and updated wide angle cams, this Mission nest has become our most expensive cam installation to date. Including Ken's labor and the crane rental David says it was around $15,000 and, as we had no sponsor for this nest, HWF has to pay the bills that have come in for it. We hope to get a fundraising campaign going soon for the 2013 nesting season. Perhaps the "Adopt a Nest" campaign that was suggested late last year can be implemented now.

Thanks so much to all of you zoomers, especially Pam, who did not refuse our offer to take charge of this forum thread. She spent so many hours as the sole zoomer until others could be trained. You are all the best and you caught some valuable screenshots of either Jack or Jill that shows a band on its right leg. It will help us for positive identification over at the new nest should we be fortunate enough to get a shot that shows a banded leg.

This cam will continue to stream and we hope to see Jack and/or Jill in the coming days using it as a feeding platform or a perch for their eaglets. Remember that over at the Sidney nest in 2008 when we had no cam on the new nest, the fledglings flew over to the original nest in the Garry Oak tree and it was so delightful to see them.

We have met the property owner of the new nest tree and he is very nice and we are welcome on his property in spite of the signs indicating otherwise to other folks. So we are hopeful that if there are the funds needed that this summer we can put a cam in that tree AFTER these eagles have fledge. We think we know why Jack and Jill built this new nest when they did. Last August, when we installed the cams on the 16th after having been told Jack and Jill had not been seen for a week, only after the cam work was done Percy told us that he had seen one of the eagles the previous day!! Oh oh. So it's quite likely that one or both of them were still in the area and saw us in the tree and no longer considered it safe for eaglet raising.

Thanks again, all, for your faithful reporting.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, March 29 2013 @ 05:29 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

It is good to have the suspicions confirmed. Thank you David and Karen. And of course thanks to the property owners and to our zoomers! Such a scenic spot and it will be sad not to watch a family raised here. I, too, hope our local ground observers will be able to keep us up to date on this pair.

For now, it is a lovely nest on a lovely day!

Click on image to download

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Saturday, March 30 2013 @ 07:21 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

WED.MARCH 30, 2013.

Good Morning all!

WEATHER REPORT
4:18am
Cam is streaming

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Carole (offline) on Saturday, March 30 2013 @ 11:12 AM EDT  
Carole

8:01am....A very pretty abandoned nest.

As I suspected for a while Jack & Jill are using another nest. sigh sign
Well I am glad they are nesting this season and hope they make visits to the cam nest as well as their eaglets.
Zooming the cam was a fabulous experience and some days were fruitful in finding a variety of wildlife.
i will continue to monitor the nest from time to time and hope to see eagles.

Thank You Everyone.

aka Cococat9

Forum

Washington

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Saturday, March 30 2013 @ 05:33 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

When life is busy and noisy it is often a welcome relief to come to an unattended nest just so soak in the cam and quiet. love

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Twizzkid (offline) on Saturday, March 30 2013 @ 07:12 PM EDT  
Twizzkid

seen earlier today - hmm def not eagles Rolling on floor laughing

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate