Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:01 AM EDT  
jkr

7:58 am
The chicks are pacing around the nest. I don't know what I missed while I was out. Maybe Mom is nearby with a fish ?
One chick was mantled like maybe there was a fish already but once he started walking around there is no fish to be seen.
Click on image to download

8:01 am
Everyone is watching the hydro pole area. I have a feeling Mom is up there eating and they're anxiously waiting for the fish delivery.

8:02 am
The chick at 11:00 area has a small piece of something in his beak --- Maybe a leftover fish tail or fin ? Whatever it was he swallowed it.

8:03 am
The same chick flies off toward the hydro pole.
He returns at the opposite side of the nest.

8:04 am
These three are really worked up. Pacing and chittering like crazy.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:07 AM EDT  
jkr

8:05 am
Mom delivers a fish. No wonder they were so stirred up.

The chick nearest 1:00 corner scooped it.

8:07 am
Mom cleans her beak on the 9:00 branches.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:09 AM EDT  
jkr

8:08 am
Mom flew off headed up the shoreline to the right of the nest.

8:11 am
The 1:00 chick is enjoying his meal while his sibling watch.

Out I am out.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:44 AM EDT  
lilywriter

Good morning all,

Thanks for the observations Gerard. Last year and this year when I have gone out to the nesting area, I would see the parents and the young down at the sandbar but they were hanging around and enjoying the water and having baths. I enjoyed watching them bathe -- reminded me of the robins in the birdbath and how they will duck their heads and ruffle their wings and flap around. Of course, these guys are much bigger. Both mom and one of the young visited the other bar when my sister was visiting from Ontario. The young put on a lovely show for my sister and hung out at the bar for about 1/2 hour.

This year, I have seen them hanging out at a different sandbar than the one we can see from camera. However, the picture of Alvin, a juvie from last year, is pictured in my avatar. He flew around landed on the bar, splashed around a bit and then posed from some pictures. I think he was watching me as much as I was watching him.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 01:01 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Observations from earlier this morning.

Sorry to be so late posting these this but after that first fish came in at 8:05 am it was still being consumed at 9:00 by the first osprey at 1 with the other two present for quite awhile, - with one leaving the nest before 8:43 am.

At 9:11 there was a steal attempt by the remaining osprey and I believe the thief won the prize as the loser then cleaned her beak, then hopped up onto the rim at 5 holding up her right talon as if it were sore - she tried to put it down but quickly changed her mind. The winner of the prized fish with plenty left on it was eating when the third osprey came in and at 9:40 am made a quick grab at the fish. This was unsuccessful so the first fish fed two of the youngsters so far this morning.

I was multitasking so may have missed more action especially the next 45 minutes.

At 10:27 am there is one young osprey preening on the nest this sunny morn.
At 10:46 she/he mantled and an approaching bird turned and it flew back over the river.

11:00am Our youngster sits looking out over the river while hopefully the other two are off on a fishing expedition with Mom.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 01:50 PM EDT  
BET

11:30am

Morning All

I have some time today to watch and record. So - I am here! Grin

I read yesterday's reports - I have to agree, Janet Preston, Wonderful photos!!!! Thank you so much for sharing them here. I looked closely at the image that is possibly a male. There is a shading of dark feathers on the chest visible, but I must agree I don't think it's Mom. I looked at the tail feathers too. Not really a good view, but I don't see any ragged feathering there so it is probably a different male than the one that visited the nest for a couple of hours the other day.

Gerard, thank you for sharing your expertise. Your description of the fishing technique is wonderful. I do wonder though, if the technique for a fast flowing river might be a bit different. The video I posted - Judy B posted on Utube that is - awhile back illustrated the Osprey skimming the river surface. It touched talons down into the water - I think about 4 times - chasing the fish upstream before it apparently made contact with the fish and probably captured it. Now the video doesn't show when or where the O first spotted the fish, so it most likely did begin from a high flying station, or a tree perch.

I have the recorder going, so if there is any "detailed images" needed today, note the time (nest time please as that is what the cam image shows) and I will search it out and post the images.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 01:59 PM EDT  
gd

11:57am lone juvie calling for food on nest

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 02:07 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello:

Good morning, BET. Good to see you back.Smile It is great to have Gerard's input here and I too have been thinking about the differences in fishing over a river as opposed to the bay of the ocean or a lake.

I just read part of a blog by a fellow who put up a platform off his dock on Flathead Lake. Mom lost her mate and he is lending her a helping hand by floating fish off the dock near her nest by means of an air compressor. She comes to his whistle.

12:02 pm Incoming osprey, followed by Mom with a nice fresh fish, Mom left at 12:04 pm. Fish is at 8 and the eating begins.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:23 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate