Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 09:59 PM EDT  
JudyB

7:56 pm

Mom just arrived, I think with yet another fish.

I'm not sure - but I think one of the chicks got the relatively modest fish she brought - and she's now claimed the larger fish that was on the nest.

Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:08 PM EDT  
BET

Hi Judy B

Yes Mom brought in a modest size fish -

Chick that was eating the big fish on the back rim abandon it to see if the new was better. But he was not allowed into the contest. Chick at 7:00 got the fish

A super fresh fish - flipped and flopped all about while chick tried to get a talon grip on it. She did succeed. Mom moved to the back and started eating the abandon big fish. Chick that was at 4:00 moved up next to her to share. So Mom is feeding herself and the chick from the big fish. Meanwhile, 7:00 just swallowed the last of the modest fish. She then shoved her way in next to Mom and Mom is feeding her now

Out for now

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:15 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, BET! Good news all around, I think. One of the chicks had a successful encounter with a very fresh fish, and I think a second chick may be joining in the feeding - and I honestly think Mom needs food more than the chicks right now - which is a testament to the excellent job she has done providing for them at a time when her own reserves are almost certainly quite low after focusing on the chicks for the past 11 weeks.

8:20 pm
Little Mom with her three big chicks. love

Getting late here, so I'm out for the night - good night!
sleepy

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:54 PM EDT  
Jean

8:51pm.........1 chick was on the nest and it hopped up to the rim and flew off. Mom was at the back of the nest. She kept on eating something that was in the nest. Within a minute a chick came flying from the area of the river and into the nest. Now 2 are here again. I'll bet that flying chick is the same one that was just there a moment ago.......probably went out for a little exercise!

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: arkyquest () on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 10:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous: arkyquest

Hi all,
Figured I'd add a couple of pictures of the area. Someone was asking how tall the pole was - it must be at least 10 metres or 30 feet tall - basic telephone pole size. Not easy to access without wings (or a bucket lift)!

Here's a view from the north shore of the Bow, the tallest plant on the left is pointing to a couple of geese on the end of the island and the sandbar/fishing hole in the middle of the south channel behind.

The nest pole is in a "forest" of tall pointy things with lots of perching possibilities.

It's "this" big...

Good night,
Sharon

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, August 31 2012 @ 11:00 PM EDT  
Jean

8:56pm............2 birds still there...........Mom is eating like she is starving......yum, yum! The chick is being patient but takes a look over his shoulder every now and then just in case there is food leftover to share.

Thanks Sharon.........just viewed your pics! Nice to see the whole area! Goodnight!

8:57pm.....Out

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 12:09 AM EDT  
Darlene

10:08 Still one chick on the nest!

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 01:17 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Yes, Darlene,

The one chick on the nest has been sleeping in the corner since at least
9:10 pm and awakened at 10:39 pm. when she turned around on the right rim of the nest and moved closer to the river near 3. At 10:58 pm she lifted her head as it had again fallen forward in sleep. Now at 11 :15 she is preening a bit as the full moon shines down on the river.

Where to begin to thank everyone for the wonderful reports and s'caps of the nest since I left town on Monday, - it took me hours to read and too much has transpired to even begin to digest it all, let alone thank you all properly!

It was incredible to see the amount of food that Mom has delivered to this nest! And then to see her on the nest this evening feeding two youngsters as the third ate the last fish she had delivered, what can I say?

Bravo everyone and especially Bravo little Mother. I did have the cam up most of the evening and I do think though that in your s'caps, Jean, it is Mom still on the nest at 8:51pm and 8:56, eating as you say like she is starving. JudyB, among others has remarked several times that Mom needs more food now as she has sacrificed so much to look after her family.

The chicks took turns flapping about and flying off one by one while Mom kept eating from the same spot that she fed the chicks. I saw her eating at 8:51 when this last chick flew off and then returned.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:52 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate