Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM EDT  
JudyB

Please add your posts, BET. Things were happening very fast, and I'm sure you'll see more to report than I did at the time. It might be slightly confusing - but as long as we both have times posted, it should be OK. Added - if there really wasn't much to report except a series of arrival attempts, it may be less important. But their actions now make me think that there are at least two visitors around - one on the nest, and the other that they're watching. I don't think the one at the top of the nest would be fending off Mom, so think someone else is there.

1:07 pm

The two chicks with fish looked as if they were getting ready to fend off an intruder - and while they were looking defensive to the right, the fourth chick floated in with no obvious response from them. Four chicks on the nest again. I think the newest arrival is at the lower left, and the other one without a fish is in the middle.

Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Thanks BET, I have been AFK for the past half-hour so can't help there.

It's enough to know that there are threats and this is not a good situation. Too much energy may be invested in protecting the nest rather than learning how to fish and develop good flight muscles. Guess this is why two parents are so important. I feel so badly for this wonderful family.

I'm afraid that I must leave this afternoon. Good luck everyone. fingers crossed

1:13 pm Four on the nest now, another lands is this Mom? Yes, and she may have another fish, wow. How do you tell who gets it, fish fight at 1:16 pm, I don't even know where the intruder is. Hopefully it is Mom's brood that got the fish.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM EDT  
lilywriter

1:15 pm Looks like mom just flew in. 4 chicks on the nest and mom

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:14 pm
Not sure how long it will stay that way, but one of the chicks without a fish has a feather sticking out.

1:15 pm
Mom on the nest with all four chicks - now that's what I call a full house! I think one of the fish-less chicks may have gotten a fish.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM EDT  
BET

1:14-41 Mom landed - five makes a crowd the 4th chick did not leave. I think Mom left another fish

EDIT

I will post the entire sequence of events later. Too much going on at the moment. When I review my recordings - I have made them short - one for each event - I will be able to track who is who and where the fish are.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:17 pm

Other chick without a fish tries for the fish that just arrived

But doesn't get it.

It must be hard to be a parent - she thinks she has three chicks. She brings three fish. And still there's a chick that needs a fish!

Added -
It just occurred to me that none of the three with fish have flown off with them. I still don't know which one is the visitor, but I think the three with fish are about the same age, because if one of them were any older, I'd expect him/her to take off with the fish and eat it on a branch - but the three here aren't quite that advanced yet.

I also think the one without a fish is the visitor - but have nothing remotely resembling evidence to support that. There was a moment when it looked as if he might have been trying a poop shot and nothing happened - but it's equally likely that he overbalanced while reaching for a bite of fish and the wind caught his tail feathers. He's back trying to sneak up on the one at the 12:00 position - which might be the smallest of the resident chicks. Maybe.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 03:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:31 pm
I think the one who didn't have a fish may have succeeded in grabbing the most recent fish away from the chick at the lower left. (Off topic, but Eden's on the Maine eaglecam nest, so I'm recording there and can't take s'caps - she's 16 weeks, so each visit is a treat.)

Even if the one who got the fish is the visitor, I'm happy he got it - the one who had it was standing on it, but didn't seem all that interested in eating - and the one who has it now is happily going to work - though it does look as if the other one may be planning to try to grab it back again.

Added -
Thanks for reviewing your videos to see what we might have missed.

I need to leave in about 20 minutes, but will continue watching until then.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
BET

From the delivery of the last fish

Visitor is at center nest. Feather is at lower left - 700 spot Chick at 1200 has the lastest fish. Chick at 330 is full had a huge poop shoot So she doesn't play in any of this last scenario

Mom delivers

Feather and 4 struggle for new fish - feather wins

Mom leaves. 4 goes back and forth between Feather and 1200 not succeeding finally at another attempt at Feather and Four wins

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate