Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM EDT  
lilywriter

12:16 pm Intruder trying to land again.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Great captures, JudyB, thanks so much!

You even got the hopeful intruder hovering over the nest. The big fish that Mom brought in earlier has barely been touched so was attracting others to the nest. Hopefully some will finally go to our third youngster. Wub

12:15 pm The juvie would-be thief is back and hovers over the nest again.
Too much excitement here! Is this the same one or are there several, I wonder.Puzzled Wow!

eta Nice catch, Christine.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:22 PM EDT  
JudyB

12:15 pm
Fourth chick is certainly persistent. I think both chicks on the left have fish - and am wondering if they are being so much more defensive than the third chick because they do have fish, or if it's a gender thing, and the female chicks are defending the nest from a female intruder. Also interesting that Mom isn't involved - which does support something I've seen occasionally at other cams, which is that the adults seem willing to feed any chick that's on the nest.

The chick that was on the left has now moved to the side of the nest nearest the cam - and I'm no longer sure that it's the smaller chick. Hard to tell, because the cam does affect perspective - but she(?) looks enough larger than the one next to her that I think she really is as big if not larger. And now it's looking to me as if the smaller one is farthest from the cam - in which case having a fish may be a major reason to stand up to an intruder!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:27 PM EDT  
JudyB

12:25 pm
The chick with fish nearer the cam (around 8 oclock position) moved to the lower right corner, taking the fish with her. The chick without the fish left. Then a chick hovered and landed. I'm guessing it's the third one of our chicks as there wasn't more than a bit of mantling as he/she came in.

The one without a fish is now near the one at the back corner, looking innocent while waiting for a chance to grab, I suspect.

12:28 pm
Fourth chick lands in the middle of the nest - and I haven't got a clue which chicks belong here and which chick(s) are visitors.

Based on body language, I think the one on the left side might be a visitor, by the way he/she is slightly in submission. And I'm wondering if it is the same one who didn't have a fish after Mom's recent delivery and took a quick spin around and returned - I was noticing the same submissive behavior then.

The one who just arrived has already made one move for the fish at the back, and been rebuffed, but not all that aggressively - more like normal sibling shoving about.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:30 PM EDT  
BET

(The fourth chick has made at least 3 more insertion attempts - I keep saving the videos - short segments - I will see what I can do later. I can't process and capture at the same time -)

Part 1
11:59am

Three chicks on nest. The chick at 7:00 has a fish she's had since earlier this am. All three appear to go in defense mode - watching an overhead flyer

Intruder flies near and on down towards the river

Osprey gives chase - probably Mom

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM EDT  
JudyB

12:39 pm
Chick on the left edges closer to the chick with the fish at the back of the nest (12 o'clock position). Other chick without fish standing calmly in the center of the nest.

Attempted steal

Chick in the middle begins to move closer, then backs out of the way. He and chick on right with fish look at each other.

I think attempt was unsuccessful, but chick without fish is still standing very close.

Other chick without fish (the most recent arrival) is looking around the nest - and just went for the fish of the chick in the lower right corner. Twice. Chick in lower right kept the fish, but I suspect the other chick will try again in a few minutes. He/she is looking around in the lower left corner, but keeps peeking over his shoulder at the chick on the right.

12:47 pm
The fourth chick just took off. I'm still wondering if it's one of the chicks that belong here - no easy way of knowing unless someone can see some identifying features on one or more of them. My instincts say that the chick that just left seemed comfortable in the nest in a way that the fishless chick that remains does not - but that is something that is hard to measure, and I've seen that sort of behaviors come and go.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
BET

OUT OF SEQUENCE

I was getting the chicks confused - watching current reviewing video, processing image. So I decided to do the latest to get it out of the way

Part 5

12:27 pm The chick that had been at 7:00 flew off and then flew back. Chicks at 3:00 and 12:00 have fish- the 12:00 the latest fish.

Fourth chick flies in again and this time lands in the middle of the nest

4th makes a mild attempt at fish at 3 :00
4th makes a mild attempt at fish at 12:00

No one seems to be trying to force her off - she keeps going back and forth between the two fish and at this moment in time 12:44pm no luck

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 26 2012 @ 02:53 PM EDT  
BET

Regarding the events that occurred between noon and 12:45pm You have captured and posted them and my posts seem to be messing up the time line.

I won't post parts 2 - 4 unless you want them - suffice it to say the 4th chick tried 4 times - landed - no luck and left

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate