https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock Area 2011 Ground Observers
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: suzcues () on Wednesday, June 22 2011 @ 09:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous: suzcues

Thanks everyone! Apparently we aren't to be alarmed, so we will try not to be as we watch pieces fall out of the nest. Smile

The base is secure, that is obvious. It is probably the fact that the parents have brought nothing but mere twigs to the nest that caused us to watch at all. Then the wind and the rain seemed to have taken some major bites in the last couple of weeks. After the storm we saw them bring some decent size branches to the nest and figured maybe the storm helped them blow down.

Also, looking at ground photos it appears that the under part of the trees has a large over growth, sucking in all manner of available natural branches.

So, with the rocky outcrops and the train tracks, there didn't appear to be an abundant source of blown down or fallen branches.

I am afraid we will probably worry regardless that other nests seem to get destroyed after the season but this one is a little more frail around the edges (seems to us anyway).

Sorry to be neophytes but, maybe we will toughen up for next year.

By: Anonymous: gardengail () on Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous: gardengail

I've been closely watching the Decorah Iowa eagles and their nest has deteriorated from normal wear and tear. I think the same thing is happening here and all is good. I know it's hard not to worry though! Nodding yes

By: eaglenut (offline) on Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM EDT  
eaglenut

Here are more photos of the eagles taken on the beach below the nest, June19 2011
Click on image to download

PLEASE make a Donation to HWF

Forum

White Rock

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, June 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Very beautiful, eaglenut! You'd think that after all this time watching eagles, the photos of them would lose their power to move me. Nope. I Can tear up at any moment when I am looking at photos! Wub

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: brookec () on Friday, June 24 2011 @ 11:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous: brookec

yes. fabulous photos Eaglenut!
Thank You

Such magnificent birds and we are so lucky to have such an intimate view on their world.
Maybe we would all treat the world with more respect (and feed it less garbage re. landfills , dumping, pesticides etc)
if at a young age we started making these connections to everything from the lovely lichen to the powerful eagle.
Thanks David and all who work at educating our young and old about the wonder of wild life on our planet!Sitting eagle

By: savewhiterocktrees (offline) on Sunday, June 26 2011 @ 04:02 AM EDT  
savewhiterocktrees

I've been busy with work this week suecuez so am late responding to the concerns over bringing in branches. You may recall I was going to a local HWF luncheon and planned to ask about what could be done. Apparently all concerns are not warranted and thenest is fine. It's my understanding that the property owners are in fact very supportive and would not engage in any action that harms the eagles. Plus I was told David Hancock watches the cams (of course) and there are no worries that the nest is in trouble. I think the info I got was accurate and totally reassuring so I have no plan to get branches out to the beach. I have also just seen the photos kindly supplied by _____(?) and looks like our idea of a nice nest with fluffy moss and a bowl protected by branches changes as the eaglets grow and flatten things out to a platform. Much better for walking and wing flapping for sure! So we can relax, mother nature has this one covered!
P.S. The luncheon was great and meeting fellow eagle lovers in person was really fun. The upcoming FledgeFest in Sydney/Victoria sounds well organized and I hope many of you can attend!

Forum

White Rock , BC

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglenut (offline) on Monday, June 27 2011 @ 01:08 AM EDT  
eaglenut

Hi eagle watchers,
Thankyou for your kind comments on my photos, we went to the WR beach today, below the nest, the sun was out and the eagles were soaring and fishing, here are some photos for you to enjoy, Cheers

Forum

White Rock

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglenut (offline) on Monday, June 27 2011 @ 01:35 AM EDT  
eaglenut

June 25/11 here are photos of Charlie and Delta wingersizing, taken from the beach below the nest

Forum

White Rock

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:23 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate