Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock 2010/11 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: yalitldevl (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

omggg you guys did you see that? The bobble who's butt is facing ma fired off a missile and just missed her head...I mean "just". Look at the look on her face Wooh

Click on image to download

There's a Classic on the Gallery but I can't remember who's album...I thought Humble or Sierra but nope on both counts. Anybody know?

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Saturday, April 23 2011 @ 11:19 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

Doesn't get any prettier than this with Ma sitting on the branch in the sunset

for real... I'm off Out

8:18

my guess would be bats pouring out of the trees

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM EDT  
ostrich

Does anyone have any footage of the big black thing that they dragged out again and were pulling around the edge of the nest cup earlier?

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: vernonbc () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 12:36 AM EDT  
Anonymous: vernonbc

9:15 pm
All's very quiet in the White Rock nest. Mom is sleeping lightly, opening her eyes to check around once in awhile.

9:30
Mom is sound asleep now with her head under her wing.

9:33
Oops, she's heard something and is having a good look around.

9:35
Mom's dozing off again. Thought I had maybe seen a fuzzy lump at the front of her earlier but it was hard to tell but one of the chicks had a good wiggle and now I can see that both of them are sleeping just out in front of mom.

9:38
Mom is restless, sitting up and poking at something. I think it's her wing or leg but it might just be the nest. She disturbs the babies and one of them wiggles a bit while the other one sleeps.

9:42
A train goes by, honking its horn, and disturbs mom. She looks around but the babies sleep through it. It's a short train and she settles back down.

10:05
Mom is having a good sleep. She's had her head under her wing since 9:45. There's a gentle breeze slightly swaying the tree and ruffling the feathers a tiny bit. Beautiful night in beautiful BC. Smile

10:10 - 10:15
Guess it was just a power nap as she's back to poking around in the nest in front of her and the babies. Then she stands right up and walks over to the edge of the nest for a minute. I thought she was going to take off but I guess she just needed to stretch her legs as she goes back and settles down on top of the eaglets. This time she has them both right under her. She does a few shimmies and then nods off.

11:15
Mommmmm. Stop disturbing the babies! She's up and poking around in the nest again and is pushing them around a bit so she can get at whatever it is that's bugging her. They're pretty floppy and pliable and just kind of allow themselves to be pushed around. She settles down with them poking out the front.

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, APRIL 24, 2011

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 07:04 AM EDT  
jkr

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: vernonbc () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM EDT  

5:30 am
Mom has called out to dad a few times.and at 5:34 she flies off from the nest leaving the babies alone. She's perched on a branch up and to the left. Babies are poking their heads up and looking around.

5:35
Guess she needed to stretch. She's gone back to the nest and is settling down to brood. Still looking all around. Looking for dad?

5:38
She's antsy and doesn't want to sit. Now she's going to feed the kids a bit of fish.

5:45
Well, that wasn't a very successful feeding. E1 (or 2? - dunno but I'll call it E1 for now) got a couple of bites but mom doesn't seem to be a very good feeder. She seems to have trouble hitting the target. E1 wanted food but wobbled around a bit and mom kept missing and finally E1 wobbled so much it fell over on its back. So funny as it laid there feet waving in the air. E2 managed to get over to the spot E1 had been in and was trying to get some food but it doesn't seem to know how to open its mouth wide at the right time. He finally got a couple bites but then E1 was back up on its feet and gave E2 a peck and E2 immediately dropped down into submission. E1 got another six or seven bites but there's a lot of waving around of head and mom's beak before a morsel happens to make it in. Mom gave up fairly quickly and got back on top of them.

5:50
Mom is brooding on nest with eaglets under her and looking all around.

6:00
Calling out again a few times, sometimes with her head back. She's really looking all around but nothing can be seen on the WA.

By: Anonymous: vernonbc () on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 09:46 AM EDT  

6:35
After regular calling, there was a switch. I'm thinking mom left earlier and I missed it and it was dad who had so much trouble feeding the bobbleheads. Pretty sure that it's mom that's now back on the nest. She fed them more fish and didn't have nearly as much trouble hitting their mouths. The one closest to her definitely got the lion's share of the food though. It was getting five or six bites to each one that the other got. Hopefully the second one will get filled up at the next feeding.

6:45
Mom's on the nest now but still some calling back and forth. She's sure having a good look around and hasn't settled down to brood. Her back is to the camera so can't see the babies.

7:10
Another switch. A lot of chatter from dad once he landed on the nest. Aw, he teased the babies a bit. He was standing on top of a fish and it looked like he was going to tear into it and feed them and they were both sitting eagerly waiting for some but he decided to sit on the nest instead. Oh dear. He stepped on one of the baby's head when he was trying to get himself into the bowl!! Good thing all that straw is soft so no harm was done, I don't think.

7:40
Very quick feeding. The body was blocking the camera so I couldn't see who was getting what but neither one of them could have gotten much in such a short time.

8:20 - 8:25
Something I haven't seen before (may have happened when I wasn't keeping an eye on the nest). One of the bobbleheads poked its head out, sat up and started chirping as if to say 'hey, I'm hungry here!'. So mom got up and started feeding them. Yay!! It wasn't a long session but both of them got about equal amounts and a few good chunks.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate