please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock 2011 Timeline
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 03 2011 @ 06:17 AM EDT  
JudyB

April 3 - 9, 2011

April 3 s'cap of the nest

As of the morning of April 3, the Discussion thread had 2,095 posts and 42,277 views; the Timeline thread had 569 views.

In the hopes of keeping this somewhat current, I'm generally going to provide links to the opening post for each day, and a fairly basic summary just to show that I've reviewed the posts for that day; if anything out of the ordinary happened, I'll note it. Perhaps in time I'll be able to fill in more details.

As a reminder, we do also have an Archive of High-Resolution Pictures for White Rock; a picture is taken automatically every five minutes, and the pictures are usually uploaded by the following day. This is a members-only feature, so if the link doesn't work, please make sure you're signed in - or join, if you're not already a member!

April 3

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 10 - 16, 2011

April 10 s'cap of the nest

As of the morning of April 3, the Discussion thread had 2,095 posts and 42,277 views; the Timeline thread had 569 views.

In the hopes of keeping this somewhat current, I'm generally going to provide links to the opening post for each day, and a fairly basic summary just to show that I've reviewed the posts for that day; if anything out of the ordinary happened, I'll note it. Perhaps in time I'll be able to fill in more details.

As a reminder, we do also have an Archive of High-Resolution Pictures for White Rock; a picture is taken automatically every five minutes, and the pictures are usually uploaded by the following day. This is a members-only feature, so if the link doesn't work, please make sure you're signed in - or join, if you're not already a member!

April 3

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 17 - 19, 2011

April 17 s'cap of the nest courtesy of yalitldevl

As of the morning of April 17, the Discussion thread had 2,557 posts and 57,719 views; the Timeline thread had 931 views.

April 17
- Day 35 for the first egg (bald eagle eggs generally hatch between 35 and 40 days)
- quite a bit of calling - perhaps intruders in the area
- great reports of the activity at the nest - taking turns incubating, turning the eggs
- careful looks at anything that might be a pip

April 18
- Day 36 for the first egg
- lots of s'caps of the eggs as we watch for a pip
- information about the area around the nest from PacNorWest (link)

April 19
- Day 37 for the first egg
- first look at the eggs at 5:31 am, and there were still two eggs
- Mom seemed quite restless, getting up and looking at the eggs, moving them a little, then getting back down

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 20, 2011
hatch - egg

I'm switching to a post a day so we can watch the eaglets grow. Click the date at the top to go to the first post for the day.

This does get a bit awkward because there will be many wonderful s'caps and I can only use one - please know that any picture I use is great and shows some aspect of the development of the chicks - and also know that if I didn't pick your s'cap for any given day, it wasn't because it wasn't equally great - but just because I was either interested in a different aspect of the chicks' development or I came across the pic I used first. With a bit of luck, that will work out over time and everyone will be included.

April 20 s'cap of the first chick hatching

- Day 38 for the first egg
- 12:20 am - pip reported - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=185250#185250
- 1:50 pm - another look at pip - forum/viewtopic.php?topic=185299#185299
- both adults together on the nest - possible intruders in the area
- 2:41 pm - food - possible midshipman brought to nest - link
- 3:27 pm - food - silver fish - link
- discussion of the fact that the fish brought in to feed the expected chicks may be attracting hungry intruders
- pictures of adults mantling the nestbowl to protect the eggs while intruders fly overhead
- possible crack in egg - link - link
- 6:36 pm - chick partly out of shell - link
- 6:54 pm - completely out of shell - hatch - link
- concern that the adults' jumping about to fend off intruders may have opened the egg before it was ready; hard to tell if the eaglet is naturally resting and recuperating after the hard work of hatching or if he/she was hurt in the process
- 7:41 pm - food - black/brown mammal - link
- chick seen moving and heard peeping later in the evening (night vision is great!)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 07:03 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 21, 2011
1 day old - hatch

April 21 s'cap of the first chick and pipped second egg, 7:31 pm
Click on image to download

- Day 36 for second egg
- chick up and active in the morning; lots of pictures and videos
- 8:36 am - first feeding - link (about 14 hours after hatch); not easy for adult and chick to connect, but chick got a few bites; feeding lasted about 2 minutes
- 9:37 pm - food - fish - link
- several cute pictures of chick with head sticking out from under the brooding adult
- 11:10 am - possible pip in second egg; subsequent pics look more like grass
- intruders in the area again - not surprising given how many eagles fish on Boundary Bay
- 2:08 pm - food - picture of mammal with whiskers - vole? Not sure when it arrived. link
- 2:12 pm - second feeding - link
- 4:41 pm - third feeding - link
- 6:35 pm - another possible pip sighting - link; picture of pip and crack at 7:31 (see pic of day above)
- 7:33 pm - fourth feeding - link
- 9:08 pm - second hatch - pics of both halves of egg shell - link

Lots of wonderful reports, s'caps and videos - thank you all so much!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM EDT  
JudyB

April 22, 2011
2 days old - 1 day old

April 22 s'cap - 11:45 am feeding, courtesy of gd

- both chicks moving around in the early morning
- 6:10 am - feeding - younger has trouble standing, and was pecked down by the older - link
- 7:28 am - feeding - older chick eating, younger still having trouble staying upright and either didn't get fed, or got fed very little - link
- 8:50 am - feeding - most or all to older eaglet
- 10:51 am - feeding - #2 up but facing in the wrong direction initially; both were fed (#2 is almost 14 hours old - same age as #1's first feeding) - link
- 11:45 am - feeding - both fed
- 12:19 pm - feeding - both fed, crops visible, no apparent rivalry
- 12:24 pm - feeding - older got most
- 1:41 pm - feeding - younger facing the wrong way so older got most but younger got a little - link
- 1:53 pm - food - fish - link
- 2:43 pm - food - fish (no s'cap of arrival) - link
- 2:44 pm - feeding - older got more, younger got some, some rivalry
- 4:14 pm - feeding - both got equal amounts
- 4:35 pm - food - fish - link
- yalitldevl's ID pic of Mom and Dad - link
- 6:33 pm - feeding - both got some and Dad ate some
- 7:19 pm - feeding - one of them gets more than the other
- 8:12 pm - feeding - they're not very interested so she eats most of it herself
- 9:15 pm - Mom is brooding the chicks, Dad is perched on the branch near the nest; he left at 9:45 pm

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 10:33 AM EDT  
JudyB

April 23, 2011
3 days old - 2 days old

April 23 s'cap of 1:05 pm feeding
Click on image to download

- 5:27 am - chicks alone on the nest for 5 minutes
- 6:20 am - feeding - both having trouble getting coordinated to stay upright and grab the food when offered
- Kaylea Cross reported the names the family has chosen for the chicks - Charlie and Delta - link to the whole story (last year's chicks were Alpha and Bravo)
- 7:30 am - feeding - both ate well - link
- 8:30 am - report that food was delivered - link
- 8:30 am - feeding - both ate well
- 10:00 am - feeding - neither seemed that interested but at least one got a little; noted that the train whistle is very loud when you have your volume up high to listen to little peeps
- 8 minute video by kitemonkey - 24 Hours In The Life of An Eaglet
- 10:33 am - food - noted that fish is flapping, so I'm guessing it's newly arrived - link
- 1:05 pm - feeding - both had some
- 1:43 pm - feeding - bit of rivalry with each occasionally putting the other down
- 2:14 pm - food - large silver fish - link
- 4:40 pm - feeding - one appeared to get most of the food, some offered to the other but they didn't connect
- Dad settled in to brood after the feeding but had a hard time finding a comfortable position
- 9:35 pm - both chicks sleeping just out in front of Mom
- 10:10 pm - Mom up for a stretch and tucks the chicks in for the night as she settles back down

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 24 2011 @ 10:33 AM EDT  
JudyB

April 24, 2011
4 days old - 3 days old

April 24 s'cap of 12:40 pm feeding, courtesy of garyandjudy

As of the morning of April 24, the Discussion thread had 3296 posts and 91,180 views; the Timeline thread had 1260 views.

- 5:30 am - Mom up and off to the branch on the left for a five-minute break
- 5:45 am - attempted feeding - one chick wanted food but only got a couple of bites because wobbled around and Mom missed its beak; the other wasn't getting its beak open at the right times to get food - link
- 7:40 am - quick feeding; adult blocked view so no clue who got what
- 8:30 am - one chick poked its head out from under Mom and started chirping; Mom responded by getting up and feeding the chicks - not a long session, but both were fed equal amounts
- 9:07 am - feeding - #1/Charlie gets 9 bites; Mom tries a number of times to feed #2/Delta, who finally gets 3 bites - link to willpatt's video
- 9:44 am - feeding - again Mom and chicks have some trouble connecting
- 12:40 pm - feeding - both were fed ( bit of rivalry, 12 bites to older,6 bites to younger)
- 2:07 pm - feeding - minor rivalry, larger gets 5-6 bites, smaller gets 4-5 bites
- 3:30 pm - food - dark colored fish
- 3:30 pm - feeding - both were fed, #2 got several big bites
- 5:30 pm - feeding - both got some

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:51 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate