Click on image to download

Karen, Esquimalt, BC
member since April, 2009

Forum

Esquimalt BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: SetterKate () on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM EDT  
Anonymous: SetterKate

I am new to Eagle cam watching. This is very exciting. The second one hatched I guess late yesterday. The newer one doesn't seem to be feeding much. The parent seems more focused on the older one. Is this normal. Will the second one be OK? Also how do you guys seem to now who is Ma and Pa?

By: sandra gee (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 05:43 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Quote by: SetterKate

I am new to Eagle cam watching. This is very exciting. The second one hatched I guess late yesterday. The newer one doesn't seem to be feeding much. The parent seems more focused on the older one. Is this normal. Will the second one be OK? Also how do you guys seem to now who is Ma and Pa?

Hi SetterKate wave and welcome to HWF, you've come here at a wonderful time. Lots of eaglets and lots of action.

The parent will feed both but quite often the older one will peck the smaller one into submission (you've probably heard of the expression "pecking order", well, here we get to see the true meaning of it). When eaglets first hatch their bodies continue to absorb a bit of the yoke sac so it's okay for them to not eat right away. The smaller one may not get as much as the bigger one at first but they seem to do okay. If there's plenty of food to go around they all seem to do alright. When the eaglets have just eaten the food goes into their crops (the throat area just under their beak). We like to see a nice bulge there because then we know they've eaten well.

With regards to telling a Mom and Pop apart, that can be tricky at times. The female eagle is up to 30% larger than the male so when you see them together on the nest it's usually fairly obvious who's who. The female usually has a flatter and fuller head as well, whereas the males tend to be sleeker and tend to have a more streamlined look. It can be a guessing game and at times we do get it wrong, but it keeps us on our toes.

Hope this helps and again, welcome.

eta...Lori has a good photo of these eagles, hopefully she'll repost it when she sees this.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM EDT  
golden1

Setter Kate welcome to White Rock

The youngest is still using up some of the food from the egg. It has had a few bites and its little crop shows that too. It will feed more in the next 24 hours. This is normal behavior.

I have trouble telling ma and pa apart here also so often call them parent. Some one will have a good way to share about how you can tell.

Enjoy watching eagles up close and personal and it does get personal......

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: sandra gee (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 05:46 PM EDT  
sandra gee

2:43pm
Dad flew in with a fish, Mom left.

2:44pm
Feeding in progress, some pecking but little one has had a bite or two.
There's a nice big fish on the menu.

2:45pm
Right now the bigger is being fed, little one is down at the moment.
nice big fish on the menu.
Feeding has stopped for the moment, big one certainly got most of this meal.

2:46pm
Dad has moved around and into bowl, the fish is biiiig.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: MayLine (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 06:01 PM EDT  
MayLine

Hi Everyone...... been travelling across the country today and have tried to keep up but with the current bobble-birthing frenzy in the Eagle Kingdom it's tough! Thanks for all s'caps and videos - I hit the highlights just to get up to speed.
:question: What is the best guesstimate of how far apart the two WR eaglets are? (I was unable to be online for a day and a half --- and you can miss a lot in a short time!) Titter

Just watched a bit and caught one chick eating and one sleeping, #2 presumably. He was initially sitting up and adult was having a bit of trouble getting either to take a bite. They are, as has been said over and over, ADORABLE!!!
Click on image to download

Nice to see all the new participants! Welcome!

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
William Shakespeare

Dede
Joined HWF: April 2009

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: SetterKate () on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 06:07 PM EDT  
Anonymous: SetterKate

Thanks for the welcome. Probably will be doing more watching than blogging. My dgtr was really concerned and I half way new the pecking order thing but wasn't positive. Appreciate the answers. Have a great day.Sitting eagle

By: MayLine (offline) on Friday, April 22 2011 @ 06:23 PM EDT  
MayLine

SetterKate...... The pecking can get fairly vicious at times. Your daughter particularly (don't know her age) should be prepared to see that behavior (or not watch of course -- I sometimes don't) Nodding yes and believe me, it upsets most adults! At times you may observe one eaglet grabbing hold of the other and almost shaking it. Sad I still remember how I felt when I first saw that i.e., shocked!

But they are only following their instincts to survive and it goes on in all eagles' nests. And it seems to calm down as they get a bit bigger. I personally have never seen an eaglet injured or killed by this aggression on any of the LiveCams, not to say it doesn't happen.

(Someone else might weigh in on that question....)

At the Sidney nest this past week, the #1 eaglet was particularly aggressive toward his siblings; but even that has lessened in the past couple of days, I believe.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
William Shakespeare

Dede
Joined HWF: April 2009

Forum

Denver, Colorado

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate