Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - White Rock Nest Camera Archive
 White Rock 2010/11 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Hoda () on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Hoda

No not a pip!!! Shadows and end of twigs are tricky...
Not a question of panic in regards the hatching or lack thereof. Time will tell...be patient...

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

:hello:HI Pat - Bub - Hoda - Willpat

Sure looks like a pip to me.....nice s'cap Bub.

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:32 PM EDT  
JudyB

Good morning, everyone, and thanks for all your observations and s'caps! Nice to see a sunny day at the nest.

This is the first year we've watched this pair so we don't really have a sense of their pattern - but in general, looking at the numbers from the other nests we've been watching for a few years, it seems fairly rare for the first egg to hatch on the 35th day. It does happen occasionally, which is why we suggest that people start watching more closely at that point - but it seems that 36-38 days is more common for the first egg in nests that have two eggs. The first egg at Delta 2 hatched on day 39, and the first egg at Sidney hatched on day 38.

It seems likely that part of the reason that the first egg often takes longer to hatch than the second is because the adults often don't begin incubating constantly until the second egg is laid - which slows the hatching of the first egg - and thanks, WillPatt, for checking on the incubation pattern here.

Hoda, to expand a little on what yalitldevl said, it is indeed hard to tell from the food we see at the nest how well-nourished the pair were when they were getting ready to lay eggs - they were likely dining out frequently before the eggs required one of them to be at the nest much of the time. If their diet was lacking some key nutrients in the days (or maybe weeks) before they produced the eggs, that might affect the viability of the eggs or the health of the chicks.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Lunamoon (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM EDT  
Lunamoon

I agree, Annie. I'm basing my prediction solely on other eagle's schedules that I also follow and it's just a counting of days. I wouldn't start to worry just yet. Roll eyes

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: AnniesKatz (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM EDT  
AnniesKatz

Quote by: JudyB

Good morning, everyone, and thanks for all your observations and s'caps! Nice to see a sunny day at the nest.

:hello: Hi Judy, - It's so nice to see you. Thank you very much for posting the info. I had noted several
times in the past that I've only seen food brought to the nest a few times. I assumed, like you, that they were
eating somewhere else. I'm going to believe they kept themselves well fed. They sure look like a healthy pair!

Annie ~ April 2009

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Hoda () on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Hoda

Papa flew in with a fish and she is feeding...I think they are healthy and well fed eagles also, no question Judy. The viability of the egg comment was made because of the eggs being exposed twice and I think when the egg is about to hatch usually they start bringing food to the nest...It could go up to forty days before I think that it is truly not viable...thoughts to put out there and simply observe...we are on day 36...so patience is what I will practice.

By: PacNorWest (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 01:55 PM EDT  
PacNorWest

Good Morning WR faithful !!
I just want to present this map so that those of you from other areas have a better understanding of the position of this nest.
The horizontal line is the Canada / USA border.
At the center of this map {click on map for bigger version}, find Crescent Beach. That is the general location of this nest.
Boundary Bay is a large saltwater Bay, not a lake.
Also find Boundary Bay Airport .... this is the general shoreline area seen in the background of the Wide Angle view.
We see a lot of intruders at this nest as there is a huge population of Bald Eagles in the area.
Click on image to download

On two occasions, I rode my bike along the Mud Bay / Boundary Bay shoreline.
Those reports are on the Pacific Northwest Trails thread.
To learn more about the Boundary Bay area click on the link below, and scroll down to where the report starts near the bottom of the page.
The second report on the Mud Bay / Boundary Bay trail is further along on that thread.

Boundary Bay / Mud Bay

Doug
Bellingham, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglenut (offline) on Monday, April 18 2011 @ 02:04 PM EDT  
eaglenut

10:47 AM Ma incubating eggs, calls X2, answered overhead.
10:48 AM Pa arrives with fish, Ma grabs it as he lands and consumes it rapidly , Pa leaves
10:52 AM Ma resettles on eggs
11:01 AM Ma trills X 3

PLEASE make a Donation to HWF

Forum

White Rock

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate