Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: Debbie (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 05:55 PM EDT  
Debbie

Wish I could have watched we were in the car all day.
The nest looks wonderful that's for sure.
Great job everyone, must be scary being up that high.

aka Debbo
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Forum

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 08:25 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Sorry you missed the nest maintenance Debbie ! I posted a link to it in the opening post of this nest thread

Click Here

5:20pm
I moved the S Cam out front and put the N Cam back on the nest....... it is a beautiful evening on H Mills albeit windy!
Click on image to download

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Debbie (offline) on Tuesday, September 12 2017 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
Debbie

Quote by: IrishEyes

Sorry you missed the nest maintenance Debbie ! I posted a link to it in the opening post of this nest thread

Click Here

5:20pm
I moved the S Cam out front and put the N Cam back on the nest....... it is a beautiful evening on H Mills albeit windy!

Yes me too we are traveling until Oct 4 or so. The nest is so beautiful hope to see ma and pa (or suitor) on the nest. I think they will be back and will wonder who the heck beautified our nest must be the nest fairiesIt Wasn't Me

aka Debbo
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Forum

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 02:07 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks to all who watched and posted their observations and screenshots of the nest work yesterday. The tree climbers were there on time at 7 a.m. but David was late picking me up in Langley so we didn't get to HM until 7:30 a.m. I am so surprised that you guys didn't know we were there. I called out my usual greeting and although someone said they did hear voices down below apparently no one zoomed around and down that way. Our vehicles would have been seen when we were unloading and we were walking along the paths that are normally seen by the cams. Someone called Darlene to find out what was going on and she told them we were there below with the climbers who were having quite a time getting the line up the tree.

Here's how they shoot the line up with a huge slingshot:

Jacob and his crew did an amazing job. It was the first time we've had three climbers in a nest at the same time. They were quite helpful in getting the job done that needed to be done. Normally we don't rebuild a nest but this nest was an exception due to the condition it was in after Pa disappeared and Ma could not keep it built up as it should be.

The nest is 175 ft. up and the climbers estimate that the total height of the tree is probably around 220 ft.

Here's a shot of the tree as the climbers were finishing for the day. Click on pics 2x to view full screen.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 02:49 AM EDT  
nightowl

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2017

Byebye

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 06:56 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

Good Morning H Mills and thanks nightowl for starting our day here and thanks Karen for the pictures and the explanation ...... The climbers did an amazing job on the nest! I started zooming at 7am and looked all around several times.... I thought I heard voices .. I am very sorry I missed you all! If any blame is to be placed.... you can blame me ! I did my best to find you all ! I was one of the ones who called Darlene when she was on her way to the nest because I was worried something happened to all of you !

Weather Report
3:43am
Quiet at the empty nest

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: KathyR (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 09:02 AM EDT  
KathyR

Great pictures of the tree climbers.... Thanks, everyone! Smile
Beautiful new nest, can't wait for beautiful new babies! Sitting eagle

Forum

South Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, September 13 2017 @ 11:43 AM EDT  
karenbills

One thing to remember when we are doing nest cam work is that is takes so long to get up a tree, especially if we are using a climber instead of a crane or man lift. That is the tallest nest (175 ft.) so it is also extra challenging to get the lines up that far on a branch that is strong enough to hold the weight of the climbers. So by the time you can see anyone in the nest it is much much later than the original announced time of arrival. Also yesterday I said that was the first time we've had three climbers up the tree. True, but when we use a crane or lift we always have two or three people up there and sometimes I get to be one of them. I always say that is one of the ways I get 'paid' for doing my volunteer job for HWF.

We are looking forward to AnneP's visit in October. If any of our local members are interested in attending the lunch I am organizing for her at the restaurant on the golf course at HM, please let me know. Date yet to be determined. We will definitely be bringing Anne down to the site of the nest tree that day so the cam zoomers can zoom down on us and we will wave to you all.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

All times are EST. The time is now 12:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate