Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: Darlene (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:17 PM EDT  
Darlene

I thoroughly looked through the archives and found Bunker up there at 11:04 and then the sound of 2 of them later. There was absolutely no indication of when Bunker might have flown from there but I believe she has flown! Be safe Bunker and return soon!

Bunker up top

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: SueD (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:22 PM EDT  
SueD

Quote by: IrishEyes

Checking in before I go to bed

5:40pm

Divot is on the nest screeping at times

I posted this earlier

I did a bit research

Birdie fledged at 8:48a ... 86 days old and came back to the nest 4 days later

Driver Fledged at 2:24pm.... 87 days old

Putter Fledged at 5:43am...88days old

Both Driver and Putter did return to the nest ..

Sandy Fledged at 6:28am 92 days old and didn't come back tithe nest although we thought we saw and heard Sandy perched in the trees close to the nest .

Bev, thank you for this list. It's neat to compare the different eaglets' fledging ages!

6:25 p.m.: I just lost sight of Divot. S/he may have hopped on one of the nest tree branches.

aka byline ~ 2012

Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:28 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: Darlene

I thoroughly looked through the archives and found Bunker up there at 11:04 and then the sound of 2 of them later. There was absolutely no indication of when Bunker might have flown from there but I believe she has flown! Be safe Bunker and return soon!

Bunker up top

Thanks, Darlene great research! Bravo - and that does suggest she went up into higher branches on the left the first time (though maybe not - she might have gone much farther), and then came back - and at sometime between 11:04 and the arrival of the fish at about 12:55 pm, took off again.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Debbie (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:32 PM EDT  
Debbie

Hate to sign off on such an exciting day. Good for you Bunker and Divot is soon to follow.
I am sure Divot has a full belly and crop, he's just missing his sister. So happy to see such a wonderful outcome for this sweet familyRed Heart

aka Debbo
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:36 PM EDT  
Darlene

6:35 I am here for another 10 minutes and then I have to finish off dinner prep. I will be back for the evening though.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: PatRaptor (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 09:52 PM EDT  
PatRaptor

Quote by: JudyB

Thank you all for your reports - and while I was hoping Bunker would be back by now, I do know that the adults have never spent as much time by the nest as happens at some other nests, so am not surprised that Bunker wants to know what's going on where they are hanging out.

I was lucky enough to visit Harrison Mills in 2015, and I took this picture of the nest tree, showing how much tree is above the nest (these click larger) - and I do think the adults spend time up there (or have in previous years - I'm guessing Dad got sidetracked from being a Dad at some point - and am hoping he'll be back later this fall and/or in the spring to help get the nest ready for next year) - and it's possible that Bunker flew up, but I think not likely because I really believe that if she was anywhere in the tree, she would have made it to the nest before Divot ate the whole fish.

And this is where I get into trouble when I don't post my pictures right away - I think the tree on the right in sunlight near the middle of the picture is the nest tree, but I don't see the cams so can't be sure (perhaps because I was on the wrong side of the tree). But I do know the nest tree is a similar height.

Thank you for sharing Judy. I love your pictures. It sure puts a different light on the place. Very beautiful. I would love to visit sometime.
And this is slightly off topic, but if any of you have a chance to visit Harrison Mills, we did have a lovely time (and I suspect it would have been better if we played golf - I got the impression people enjoy doing that there!). This is a picture of my husband Charlie sitting on the porch of the little cabin we rented, playing banjo and enjoying the ambiance. And it was within an easy stroll of the nest!

Forum

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 10:15 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: Debbo

Could Bunker show up before dark?? I seen accidental fledges which took a few days. Just curious.

Just my personal opinion - but I think Bunker absolutely knew where she wanted to go - and she went there. She (or he - I'm still not sure but am using she for the moment) - she has been flying up to that higher branch, and back and forth between the lower branches, and I think she was totally fledge-ready.

And I think this is one of those times when we are reminded that the Harrison Mills eagles don't act the same as the more urban eagles at Delta 2 and White Rock, and do act a bit more like the eagles David Hancock watched in wilderness areas early in his career. Urban fledglings spend a lot of time in the nest tree after they fledge, and are fed there regularly - wilderness eagles, not so much. That said - as close as Divot and Bunker were as buddies, I don't think Divot is that close to fledging because he (or maybe she) hasn't spent that much time flying up to the more challenging branches (and watch him get up and fly off while I'm typing - eaglets are like that!) - and from my years of watching cams, I think Mom will be bringing food to Divot on the nest for a few more days, and that is likely to lure Bunker back as she gets more comfortable flying around the area and following Mom, just in case Mom provides food.

And we know Bunker is OK perched on a branch at night, so she may well do that tonight.

And I do wonder what tomorrow will bring. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, July 28 2017 @ 10:22 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: Heather L

I wonder if there is any documentation on how far, on average, an eaglet flies from the nest when they fledge?

Good question - and I haven't a clue! I know we saw at least one previous fledgling down by the river shortly after fledging, though I don't actually know how far away that is.

And I just heard loud calling, and didn't see Divot's beak move - maybe time to see if someone else is around. Smile

And I didn't see anyone. Divot is sleeping in the nest.

Click on image to download

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:25 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate