The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Redding, CA - 2017 - Bald Eagle Cam (formerly Turtle Bay)
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 11:51 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: eaglewoman

That's true Karen! They certainly could have been watching from afar!

And, I believe that animals can sense when another animal is dying. Perhaps a smell that is put off? Since Solo only weighed half her body weight, she had been ill for at least a few days.

That is why I think Liberty & Spirit were staying away from their baby at the end, they knew well before we did...

Don't forget, Terri, that eagles have no sense of smell. Yes, Solo was not well and I'm sure that Liberty and Spirit could tell.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Thursday, July 20 2017 @ 09:34 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Yes Karen, I've heard that an eagle's sense of smell is about as good as a human's sense of smell? Does that sound right? They definitely don't rely on their sense of smell to find their prey, like turkey vultures do!

But, like you said, Liberty & Spirit most likely sensed it in some way that Solo was dying

The eagles always know so much more than we do, I know that for sure!

I'm over at the Coast right now but will write up a summary of the 2016-2017 Nesting Season when I get home!

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Friday, July 21 2017 @ 12:31 AM EDT  
karenbills

No, Terri, I've never heard that. Eagles have little to no sense of smell. Vultures do of course but not eagles. Not sure about other raptors. Humans certainly have a sense of smell.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 05:06 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

We have some great news to report!

Kit got in touch with master sculptor John Streeby who made the gorgeous sculpture at Patriot's Memorial for us, and he said he would be glad to do a sculpture of our sweet Solo for us to add to the Memorial!

John needs some photos/screen captures of Solo so he can capture her beauty in his sculpture, so if you have a favorite one can you please post it here on our forum?

Click on image to download

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 07:01 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

We received the results back from the lab on our dear Solo today...

Here is the email I got from our rescue angel Marily...

I received the results from the lab today.
The biologist believes Solo was a male, although it's difficult to tell when they are so young.

She said:
All the test results are back for this eagle. The main finding was dehydration with urate deposits, which indicates that the dehydration was pretty severe. The remains of fish were in the digestive tract, suggesting the parents were attending to the eaglet. All the tests for infectious diseases and toxins were negative including for West Nile virus, Avian Influenza, bacterial infections, and lead. Additionally, there was no indication of anticoagulant rodenticide exposure. Unfortunately, the degraded tissues hampered histology so hyperthermia couldnít be established, but given the severe dehydration I think heat stress is highly probable.

I asked if it would have made a difference if we had gotten to him on Saturday instead of Sunday and she said:
I donít think waiting the night made that much of a difference. It looks like the hot temperatures persisted for about 10 days prior to that Saturday. I think that prior week was just too much for his young body to handle and by the time he was on the ground, that was going to be it.

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 08:06 PM EDT  
JudyB

Big, big hugs, Terri hug

Wonderful news that Solo will have a permanent memorial - thanks so much to Kit for asking and to John Streeby for agreeing. Please do let me know if there are expenses - this eagle family is near to my heart, and I'd be happy to contribute towards making this happen.

And in some ways I know it must be a relief to know that there was absolutely nothing more you could have done that would have helped. There are reasons why eagles generally lay eggs when they do, and when Liberty and Spirit had to move to a different nest and try for a second clutch, that was a long shot for them, and sadly it didn't work - though I'm sure eagles will continue to do that in similar circumstances, because it might have worked if the weather patterns had been different this year.

hug

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Susan (offline) on Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 09:41 PM EDT  
Susan

Quote by: eaglewoman

We have some great news to report!

Kit got in touch with master sculptor John Streeby who made the gorgeous sculpture at Patriot's Memorial for us, and he said he would be glad to do a sculpture of our sweet Solo for us to add to the Memorial!

John needs some photos/screen captures of Solo so he can capture her beauty in his sculpture, so if you have a favorite one can you please post it here on our forum?

Wow. such a beautiful photo Smile I was a new observer of this nest this season and was blown away that you have a memorial there ! That is just so awesome ! I had no idea there is a memorial there. I am so impressed and truly admire what all of you do and have done for this family. I'm guessing Patriot is an eaglet that didn't make it and was wondering if Solo will be the 2nd sculpture or are there others ? . I'm sure you will receive and already have yourself several beautiful photos of Solo, and will be difficult to choose one. I'd like to go and see the Memorial some day if I can ever retire ! still have a few years to go yet Faint I hope you didn't beat yourself up wondering if you should have rescued Solo sooner. I'm hopeful now that your mind is at ease. You are Solo's angel who didn't allow him to suffer. Thank God there are people like you out there watching out for these majestic birds God bless you.

aka Sue D

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Susan (offline) on Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 09:54 PM EDT  
Susan

I just found some info on Patriot an now know who he was. I should have googled first instead of the question bombardment very embarrassed Saw some pics of the Memorial. Its beautiful !

aka Sue D

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate