You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: catusflower (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 08:17 PM EDT  
catusflower

Good Afternoon all,

They seem little until they spread there wings, and then you remember how big the nest is, Ma and Pa have there work cut out for them, trying to get those two little darlings to leave and learn to hunt, It is quite a switch from take out and then needing to hunt. Ma and Pa are good teachers, they will get it.

Catusflower Sitting eagle

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 08:20 PM EDT  
JudyB

5:19 pm

OK - someone is clearly branching here.

Click on image to download

And while this is very blurry, someone else was doing a whole lot of flapping on the edge of the nest.

Click on image to download

I think our little ones are growing up! Left thumb up

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Misha (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 08:35 PM EDT  
Misha

Clappingoh my gosh! what an exciting couple pf days! our kids have gotten so big and now branching?! Before we know it our ba ies will be fledged...and then what will we do?

So glad that mom is the rockstar she is. Now, if mom should take a day off hopefully no one will panic and think they're starving to death!

But flies an eagle flight, bold and forth on, leaving no track behind.

William Shakespeare

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Susan (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 08:35 PM EDT  
Susan

wave

Just some questions. Was it definitely an intruder on the nest last night? Is Mom being followed by a potential new mate? Has Dad been seen at all lately? I tried scrolling through past posts, but with all the excitement of recent fish delivery, was hard to figure it out lol Or is the intruder this new potential suitor ?

Sorry for all the questions. If Dad is gone for good, then I hope this suitor does pan out for next season. Maybe that's why she hadn't been around. been looking /caring for Dad and juggling this new one who is most likely responsible for Dad's predicament?

Luv this family Red HeartSitting eagleRed Heart

aka Sue D

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: suzanne05 (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM EDT  
suzanne05

Im so happy the babies have had an abundance of food..but i'm curious isn't that a lot of fish for 1 Eagle to be bringing to the nest in one day?
Im just hoping the fish are not coming from another source.
Ive watched many nests and don't remember ever seeing 9 fish deliveries between 2 Eagles

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: KathyR (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 09:57 PM EDT  
KathyR

Quote by: suzanne05

Im so happy the babies have had an abundance of food..but i'm curious isn't that a lot of fish for 1 Eagle to be bringing to the nest in one day?
Ive watched many nests and don't remember ever seeing 9 fish deliveries between 2 Eagles

I think I saw a couple wiggly ones today, so they seemed pretty freshSmile

Forum

South Carolina

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 09:58 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: Susan

wave

Just some questions. Was it definitely an intruder on the nest last night? Is Mom being followed by a potential new mate? Has Dad been seen at all lately? I tried scrolling through past posts, but with all the excitement of recent fish delivery, was hard to figure it out lol Or is the intruder this new potential suitor ?

Sorry for all the questions. If Dad is gone for good, then I hope this suitor does pan out for next season. Maybe that's why she hadn't been around. been looking /caring for Dad and juggling this new one who is most likely responsible for Dad's predicament?

I was not watching last night, Susan, so don't know who came to the nest - but this is an attractive nest in an area with a lot of eagles, so it wouldn't be surprising that other eagles would be interested - and my understanding of eagle dynamics is that Mom will defend the chicks - but won't chase away a potential mate unless he's a threat to the chicks, even if Dad is still around but not able to come to the nest - she's hard-wired to accept the strongest suitor, even if she is fonder of another. Or so I've read, and that does match what I've seen at other nests where there were challenges.

Quote by: suzanne05

She brought in two at a time at least once, Suzanne, and at least one still flopping - which makes me think there was a run of some sort of little fish, though there's no way of knowing for sure. I have seen some osprey nest sites where they keep a tally, and the number of fish brought to the nest daily is quite amazing. I think osprey chicks may grow even faster than eaglets, so may need more fish (and they pretty much only eat seafood, so have less options) - but eagles are opportunistic, and won't stop bringing food just because everyone is full - they do eat leftovers, and they (or their instincts) know that the fish may not be there tomorrow.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Tuesday, July 11 2017 @ 10:05 PM EDT  
Darlene

Quote by: Susan

wave

It wasn't to the nest but a fly by over mom in the babysitting tree across the green from the nest and in my opinion it looked confrontational. Here is the video:

Ma landed in babysitting tree and an eagle followed

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate