The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 03:23 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: Debbo

I have been watching, this is my first time posting, but I am routing for these little guys.
They are amazing and I pray it all works out. I just started watching eagles when I stumbled on the SWFL site
Now I am watching a few sites, Trio nest, Michigan and D.C. This nest just breaks my heart. But I believe it will all work out they are strong.

Welcome Debbo to the H Mills Nest thread ... Let us know if you have any questions..we are all here to help you and all who join here...... I truly believe it will all work out also....... Mom and Dad Honeycomb are amazing and are no strangers to bringing up their chicks !

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Debbie (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 03:43 PM EDT  
Debbie

Thanks for replying, I sure hope they get more food today. A lot of highs and lots of lows. Do you think mom is tending to dad as well as the let's? Seems like she has many tasks on her, what a strong mom.
If I catch a feeding I will post. My husband thinks I am a little nuts watching but it is just amazing to be able to view nature like this.

aka Debbo
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Forum

Profile     PM

By: PatRaptor (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:16 PM EDT  
PatRaptor

Mom arrived with a good size fish. Only see one let getting fed right how. The other is out of the way. I would rather see both get fed. Looks like its bunker that is getting the fish and Divot is in submission. Oh no.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: gmorris (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:18 PM EDT  
gmorris

1:18pm (approx.)
Mom in with a large fish. She controls the feeding and Bunker gets most all of it. Divot tries to sneak a couple bites but is pushed aside by Bunker who is being fed by Mom. Divot is stuck in the back away from Mom's beak.
Click on image to download

Gail Morris

Forum

Southeastern
Pennsylvania

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:20 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:18 pm
Eaglet on the right is being fed, and I think the other is trying to slip in and self-feed - and just saw him/her get a bite.

1:24 pm
The more dominant eaglet (I'm guessing Bunker) has intimidated the other into backing off a bit; he's slowly moving closer, but hasn't gotten any food for a few minutes while Bunker(?) is getting lots. It does look as if it's a big fish, so hopefully there will be some left when Bunker backs off a bit - but as Karen mentioned, producing one healthy eaglet is a better way for Mom to pass on her genes than producing two undernourished eaglets - so her instinct is to feed whoever is strong enough to get to her. And in cases where there's not always enough food, successful younger eaglets learn to do what Divot is doing - wait a bit, then grab what they can get. And with luck both will do well. Smile

1:29 pm
The more submissive eaglet is moving in again on the right, but I'm not sure if he can reach the fish to self-feed from this angle.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gmorris (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:28 PM EDT  
gmorris

Feeding continued. Divot is unable to get a good position to even sneak any food so gets very little...really nothing.
However, Mom leaves at about 1:32pm and there is one chunk left which Divot grabs and mantles.
Bunker tries very hard to get that piece from behind and finally does after Divot has some of it.
That is the end of the feeding - Bunker got 90% and Divot got part of the tail plus a few small bites.
I am not sure who actually got the very last piece of the tail!

Gail Morris

Forum

Southeastern
Pennsylvania

Profile Email   PM

By: Debbie (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:35 PM EDT  
Debbie

Bunker backed off for bit then Divot got feed a few then in for the steal. What a mantle on that tail. Good for Divot I hate to see her/him not get any. Bunker got more but Divot did get some.
Did Bunker steal the tail??

aka Debbo
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Forum

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, June 29 2017 @ 04:36 PM EDT  
JudyB

1:32 pm
Someone has a big chunk and is mantling and trying to swallow it, but I think it's too big.

The other one is going in from behind to try to grab it, but hasn't been successful yet.

And he did get the piece and is now eating in the lower right - not sure how much is left, but s/he decided it was too big to swallow initially.

And another try to swallow, but still to big, so he/she tries to eat more while the other one looks on.

I did lose track of who is who - hope others can sort it out.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 01:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate