The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Redding, CA - 2017 - Bald Eagle Cam (formerly Turtle Bay)
 |  Printable Version
By: Susan (offline) on Monday, June 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM EDT  
Susan

Hi Terri

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot..lol..so I hope you get this post. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions I had. I really appreciate it and it did help a lot ! Hoping Spirit and Liberty have better luck next time around.

Forever an eagleholic! Thank You

Sue Dumas

aka Sue D

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, June 26 2017 @ 09:52 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank you one & all for your condolences and your kind words in our time of sorrow at this nest.

It is these acts of kindness & compassion that help to carry us through these most difficult days. This HWF Community is filled with the most kind, caring & compassionate people I have ever met. As TerryTVGal used to say, "I came for the Eagles but stayed for all the friends I made along the way!

I feel the love & healing thoughts coming from each & every one of you! I am so grateful to all of you!
~Terri

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Monday, June 26 2017 @ 11:46 PM EDT  
eaglewoman

We have had a few people wondering if we did all we could have done, or could we have saved Solo if we had gotten out there Saturday instead of Sunday? I wondered that myself to be honest.

But, after speaking with Marily who took Solo to the Veterinarian, I found that the answer is absolutely YES we did do ALL we could do, and NO she would not have survived even if we had found her on Saturday.

Marily works with Defiance Canyon Raptor Rescue and she is the one who coordinated Solo's rescue with us and she told me that besides being extremely dehydrated, Solo only weighed 3.5 pounds. That is half the body weight she should have been for her age!(6-7 pounds) She explained that birds of prey have very little chance of surviving if they weigh only half of their body weight. She also said it's even tough to bring them back if they weigh 70% of their body weight! So, even if we had found Solo on Saturday instead of Sunday, she would not have survived...

Marily believes there may have been some other environmental factor that caused Solo's death? Possibly some environmental toxin in her food supply that caused the low weight? Solo is being transported this week down to Sacramento where they will perform a necropsy on her to determine the specific cause(s) of death.

I think it is very important for them to do the necropsy because we need to know if there are environmental toxins in our eagle's habitat! We are so privileged that these majestic creatures have chosen our City to nest & raise their offspring in, so it is now OUR responsibility to keep their chosen habitat safe!

Marily also explained why Solo looked so good when Mark and I first found her, but then declined so rapidly by the time Marily arrived? She explained that animals do that as a defense mechanism because if they show weakness or illness, they are more vulnerable to predators. So, that made more sense to me!

I really hadn't noticed that Solo looked weak or was having an issue until Saturday when Spirit brought in a fish but she did not eat it? That was the first red flag I had & Rita said she also was concerned when she saw that happen.

So, once we get the results back from the necropsy we will know more.

In the meantime, we find a way to carry on just like Liberty & Spirit will, with an aching in our hearts...sad

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 01:40 AM EDT  
karenbills

Oh noooooo!!! Terri, I'm sitting here sobbing as I read of Solo's demise. Poor baby. What heart-wrenching news this is. You did all you could. Glad you could find her and get her to the vet. It's so sad to see the parents bringing in fish for their baby who is no longer there. Yet they must have seen you guys below the nest. You can't see them but, with their eagle eyes, they can see you. Eagle hugs to you and Kit and all who did what they could to try to save Solo.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: eaglewoman (offline) on Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 02:56 AM EDT  
eaglewoman

Thank You so much Karen, yes the tears have been flowing here too...

That is so funny that you said that about the eagles seeing us even though we didn't see them! I just said that to my husband today!Titter

What I was trying to say is that I thought that one or both of them would be perched on a low branch near Solo? They always seem to be near their young after they fledge, and I know she didn't fledge, but I still thought they would keep watch over her?

Perhaps they sensed how very sick she really was?Sad

I will do my best to get back out there and keep checking on Liberty & Spirit until they leave the area...

There is much more to learn about these magnificent beings!Sitting eagleSitting eagle

Fly LIke An Eagle!
~Steve Miller~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: CA Wildlife (offline) on Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 09:39 AM EDT  
CA Wildlife

Sorry that I have not been to this site for a couple of days, so I am late to say that I am so sad to hear about Solo's passing.

This has been a year of monumental extremes. The golf course nest falling; the adults moving to a previous nest (with a camera!!!); a second clutch; an unhatched egg; a miracle hatch from the second clutch; the rain; the winds; the river releases; and finally an early protracted heatwave.

Such is nature. Always powerful. Sometimes miraculous. Often cruel. We cheer and love as humans for things that are so often beyond our control. It is our love that stirs us to actions beyond the normal; years of dedication; hundreds or thousands of hours of ground and nest-cam observations; tens of thousands of online posts and photos; millions of words.

We are all invested, and certainly some more than others. There is a disparate chasm between those who "do" here, and those who view, myself included. Tragedy hurts, so let's all choose to love one another, and to heal.

Thank you to everyone who has a part in this window upon nature. Let us not lose heart, but take courage and go forward.

RIP Solo.

Gary (Sacramento, CA)
California Wildlife
http://www.flickr.com/photos/encouragement/

Forum

Sacramento Area

Profile Email Website PM

By: RitaR (offline) on Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 10:03 AM EDT  
RitaR

Tuesday June 27, 2017

Good morning Carole, Terri, Gary and all. Terri thank you for posting the info on Solo's condition. Gary your post was all too true and brought tears to my eyes. I'll continue to post if I can to let Terri know if Liberty or Spirit are still in the nest area.

Thankfully it's not going to be in the triple digits today. Temp will reach 95 so another hot day for Redding.
Click on image to download

Spirit arrived at the nest after 5 am.

Forum

Oregon Coast

Profile Email   PM

By: RitaR (offline) on Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 10:04 AM EDT  
RitaR

Spirit looks all around. High and low. He did not bring a fish this morning.

Spirit exits the nest.

Forum

Oregon Coast

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate