You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Problems After Logging In ?
 |  Printable Version
By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM EDT  
richardpitt

Quote by: sassyk

Richard, is this the 'menu explosion' you were referring to:question: This happes to me all the time; more so now than it did a few months ago. I've changed my forum settings so I don't have as many topics/threads/posts on a page and it doesn't help.

The main menu is going to have to be trimmed - it seems to be too large and this is the result. This is not a 5 minute job and it is not likely to be done soon Sad

Things may be better with a faster machine but that too won't be terribly soon.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 12:17 PM EDT  
eiguoc

Thanks Richard. I assumed everyone used the JPEG

Pat=photographer & cat mom
Pardon my shortening memory
Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM EDT  
JudyB

Several popular s'cap programs use PNG as the default - and some won't let you change to JPG without using a second program or upgrading to a rather more expensive version. There are technical reasons for that - PNGs are better for some things, but posting on forums isn't one of them. Smile

I am still looking for suggestions for free or modestly priced programs that do let you save the s'caps as JPGs - thread for discussion software for s'caps and video is here - forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=176051.

Thanks!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: anna-holland (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM EDT  
anna-holland

Quote by: richardpitt

......................... If the Google ad revenue keeps up it will pay for a new machine. ........................

richard

Hi Richard, do you have any idea when the new machine arrived? Weeks, months.....?

Can we then post 3 screencapters again?

"what you send is what you get"

Forum

the Netherlands

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM EDT  
yalitldevl

I'm going to express my opinion once on this whole one pic per post fiasco then be done with it. David's whole agenda for HWF was to become the single largest source of eagle data and info on the planet. I'm positive he told me that somewhere along the line. Now we have ourselves spread far and wide from bears to hummingbirds and everything in between. Every one of these have its own thread and then they're being reposted on other threads. The lack of space is due to too many additions that we couldn't even handle in the first place!

I think every single thread that is not connected to the HWF cams should be regulated as to how much space they can have and be one pic per post as they are not the mandate. The threads that are the mandate should not suffer!

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Tuesday, April 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Actually the problem is not the total space taken up by posts - it is the number of images that appear on any single page that many people want to view at the same time - like the latest page on a camera thread for a cam that has just had a hatching.

This is why cutting down the number of posts/page and the number of images/post is what is necessary, as well as the limitation on using PNG files.

The problem is the total size of any given page - which leads to how long it takes for someone to receive it (and to some extent, how long it takes for the system to pull it all together to send it - the "page creation" time that shows up on the last line of all pages currently as I monitor things.

25 posts (the number it used to be) time 3 images/post with each image being 4 megabytes (the size I've seen some PNG "thumbnails"Wink means 300 Megabytes of images just to download that page for one person - and the typical home link will take many seconds to a minute or more to do this - all the while tying up one or more of the processes that do that creation.

The system's 8 Gigs of RAM can hold about 150 processes sending files - and these processes normally handle several files per second each (about 20-50 requests/second) but if one person ties up 10 of them for 30 seconds trying to deliver those 75 files on that one page - then 15 people trying to hit the same page during that 30 second time period will tie up the machine completely - leaving no processes for anyone else.

At times today we had 30 logged in users and over 300 anonymous users online. Something has to give - images per page is what it was.

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: anna-holland (offline) on Friday, April 15 2011 @ 05:14 PM EDT  
anna-holland

Thanks for your answer, Richard. A good explain.

"what you send is what you get"

Forum

the Netherlands

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, April 16 2011 @ 03:54 AM EDT  
MaryF

I'm not sure where to put this ....Is there a problem with posting scaps tonight? I've tried several times with no luck,,,,,,Yes, they are jpg format.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 09:12 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate