You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Lake Washington, Washington - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 03:02 AM EDT  
Anonymous: CAL04

JudyB,
Thank you. The way the chicks are moving around in your video I had to watch it over again because it looked like 3 to me. Wouldn't that be something?

By: Anonymous: willpatt () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 03:48 AM EDT  
Anonymous: willpatt

wave Excellent video JudyB Thank You

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 08:29 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Will! Smile I was wondering about three as well, CAL, but think it's an optical illusion caused by that darn stick! (I think they may have used the same interior decorator as the Sidney eagles!). I was watching quite a bit during the day, and clearly saw two a number of times, and didn't ever really "see" three - just had an occasional impression there were more dark spots than necessary for two small heads. I'll be keeping an eye on them again today (along with Libby Dam and Hornby, both of which are on hatch watch, and of course Decorah and Carolina - hmm, I may need a few more eyes! Titter ) - we don't really know how many eggs they have, though I'd expect just the two, based on previous years.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: soph9 (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 11:56 AM EDT  
soph9

I see 2 for sure....and I think I remember somewhere on the forum that when they are so young they can't see and the beak to sibling peaking is not dliberate because they can not control the head too well.....Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....I just saw in this nest yet again what really looked like a deliberate act of peaking. One eaglet...probably #1 peaking the other into submission. Whether or not they can see....this really seems to be a pattern in nests with obviously more than one.....

meal time...Click on image to download

Forum

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM EDT  
JudyB

I think they do set up a "pecking order" at a very young age, soph - though it does seem more pronounced in some nests than in others. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the pecking is just because they're checking to see if it's food - but I really don't know. It did look as if both were being offered food, though one (likely the older) was a bit more successful at getting it from the adult's beak. I only caught a bit of a feeding, but it seemed that the older was at least occasionally waiting for the younger to take a turn.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: wamwood () on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 08:15 PM EDT  
Anonymous: wamwood

5:10PM
Feeding in progress. Looks like both bobbles getting fed. Looks like a little sibling rivalry- #1 pecks #2 into submission a bit. Ah, now both being fed again.

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 25 2010 @ 09:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome, wamwood! Welcome

Not knowing a lot about towns in Washington - are you from the general area around the nest? Not that I know where on Lake Washington the nest is - but I do know that Washington is a large state. Smile

I've only seen a couple of feedings so far, but it has generally seemed fairly well split between the two.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: wamwood () on Monday, April 26 2010 @ 12:43 PM EDT  
Anonymous: wamwood

Thx for the welcome, JudyB! I just discovered this cam recently, but have been following the BC cams since just before Tiny hatched last year.
I live 17 mi east of Seattle. Lk Washington lies directly between Seattle and Bellevue, WA. Directly east of Bellevue lies Lk Sammamish, and Sammamish is on the plateau just east of that lake. Depending on just where this nest is located, I'm about 10-15 miles away. Do we know anything more about the nest location? It looks to me it might be on the Seattle side, looking toward Mercer island, but I may well be wrong.

9:40AM Adult brooding,facing 12:00, looking out over the lake.

All times are EST. The time is now 07:51 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate