The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Relaxation and Chat Area > Garden Fence Chat
 EAGLE Chatters Nest
 |  Printable Version
By: Kathy M. (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 09:51 PM EDT  
Kathy M.

Quote by: SpringvilleCatLady

I saw a youtube video of a juvenile being rescued and treated at Southwest Wildlife Foundation here in Utah. It gave me a good idea of the size of E9. It has a happy ending too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8xkR9hqA1M I've never posted a link here so I hope this works. ;-)

Thanx for the link to the video. What wonderful work this man and his crew do! I watched it as well as the 2d one where the man (a wildlife rehab person) was treating a mature Bald Eagle that was suffering from lead poisoning. It was incredibly sad and so unnecessary and preventable. I have provided the link below as I don't know that it would always follow the video that you posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAcdwaJM_4

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking...

Forum

Central Arkansas

Profile Email   PM

By: Journi (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 10:16 PM EDT  
Journi

Suzi...Oh, that RED looks good on you! Wink

Oh how I loved feeling the wind beneath my wings that helped me soar to see new and wonderful things! ~Journi 3/15/17 (Written for E9's first flight. )
E9, I feel your eagle spirit with me everyday! > #1 E9 Fan!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My avatar photo is from the SWFEC live cam.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SummerShadow (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 10:22 PM EDT  
SummerShadow

Quote by: Blonde4938

Quote by: joannc

After watching the 3 eaglets (down to 2 now) in the Dale Hollow nest, E9 better become MUCH more aggressive!!! D1 displayed major, major, major aggression!!! And if this is what nature is like...only the strong survive....E9 better toughen up cause some of these eagles are beyond ruthless animals!!!!! Of all the eagle nests I've watched this season, Dale Hollow's D1 is King/Queen of the all!!

Harriet, M15 and E9 is like a walk in the park in comparison.

That D1 eagle sickened me! If that's what it is I may never watch another nest. I've been so upset over that sweet tiny D3.

I was only able to watch the Dale Hollow cam a couple of times because I couldn't handle seeing the tiny eaglet not getting food and getting beat up by the big one. But I know this is how nature made them, and the aggression is something they're born with. Sadly, the smallest and most frail are the ones who get the brunt of it. I took a peek at the other two today and, honestly, the oldest eaglet is HUGE compared to the other one, and compared to that tiny one.... well, the little one didn't really have much of a chance because of its size and not getting to the food enough.

Nature is really harsh, but the big eaglet isn't horrible or awful or 'mean,' and we have to be very very careful at projecting human emotions and traits onto them... because it's really not fair to the eaglets/eagles. These babies come out of the egg with the aggression inside them, and it's there so they survive in the wild. Just take a look at how the eaglets attack the parents for food, which is 100% necessary. But that aggression, whether to a small sibling or grown adult.. is actually two sides of the same coin. The eaglets do out-grow this aggression towards one another which tells me that it really is a game of survival right from the beginning.

It's upsetting, beyond upsetting to see, I totally am there with you. But, I have to remind myself that it's not "Intent" but instinct they're acting upon, and they don't feel hate or meanness etc towards their siblings.... they know they're hungry and are fighting for food.

SO hard to watch, though.. oh man is it ever. I just can't. I will likely close the browser window next season if/when it happens, then come back when things calm down. I'm not a toughie when it comes to that stuff, so... you know.

But don't blame the eaglets for how God made them. Some starve to death before they reach adulthood, so... that aggression is built right in for a reason.

"You only live once, but if you do it right.. once is enough." -- Mae West

Forum

Profile     PM

By: SummerShadow (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 10:25 PM EDT  
SummerShadow

Quote by: Journi

Springville....I have been thinking the same thing....I am beginning to think that E9 is getting as big as H!
So, this has got me thinking....I wonder if we can all watch for SCAPS that we can capture E9 and H together - side by side...and then also try to get a SCAP of E9 and M side by side together (or as close as possible) to compare the sizes! We have little time to do this and it would be fun and a challenge to try to get these SCAPS now before it's too late! I'm up for the challenge...now that I finally got the hang of capturing and posting SCAPS! Nodding yes

Moderators said E stopped growing a couple of weeks or so ago but said his feathers would grow a little more. They did warn us that the eaglets would look bigger than the adults because of their very long 'training feathers.' Before the extra plumage... E9 wasn't anywhere near H's size but about the same as M15. Those feathers are long and fluffy right now, so... I still think E's a boy. ;p

One of us is right. hahahaha

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Vicki Byrum (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 10:29 PM EDT  
Vicki Byrum

With E9 being out of the camera range so often now, it's like HE'S teaching US a lesson so we realize we'll be okay even if we can't see him. I was really dreading him leaving for good but since he's been out of sight more I'm starting to relax a bit. This Eagle family has taught me so much. I love the great scaps everyone has posted! Thank you. Isn't it nice to have a place where we can chat and not have to worry about being scolded by someone _?Nodding yes

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: SummerShadow (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 10:37 PM EDT  
SummerShadow

For those of you who haven't seen this video of the horned owl going after the Decorah female one night.... spooky spooky spooky, especially the sounds. There's one of the owl attacking the eaglets in the nest... that one I didn't like one bit. Not sure where the parents were but I'm not sharing that one here.

Decorah Eagles - Owl harasses and jumps on mom in the nest.

https://youtu.be/NPhDMTAOv1A

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Shine4Tomorrow (offline) on Friday, March 24 2017 @ 11:11 PM EDT  
Shine4Tomorrow

I think I remember hearing that there is a 50% survival rate of eaglets to their final flight from the nest. Poisoning, attacks, sibling rivalry, etc. We lost our eaglet before it even hatched and so far few attacks so we have enjoyed a tame season compared to many other nests. Im oh sooooo thankful for the calm here. I don't think I could handle this D1/D3 situation at this time! I can't get enough of this nest.....tried the Romeo/Juliet nest for a wee bit, but my heart belongs here! Red Heart

~Diana~

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JodyKSam (offline) on Saturday, March 25 2017 @ 02:45 AM EDT  
JodyKSam

Thanks for posting the video link to the You Tube video about the rescued juvenile eagle (or sub-adult, more likely since its eyes were already beginning to change). I think it's the same one that was released later on that month, which is another video. Makes me feel good to know so many are dedicated to saving and rehabilitating injured eagles.
Sitting eagle

But I can also understand more now how humans are their greatest enemy, with injuries due to secondary poisoning, contact with vehicles and lead poisoning as well.... I'm so appreciative of the day that I saw a mention on Facebook about our eagle family here because it has opened up a wider world of learning to me.

Like others here, I too recognize how bittersweet it will be when E9 does take off for his/her eagle future out in the world, but at the same time so proud of the growth he/she has made. Never can say enough how amazing Harriet and M15 are as parents -- they are such great examples to E9 and in turn he/she will make a wonderful parent some day. I think E9's survival rate is increased that much more so because of how good they are at raising him/her.

Well, good night ... as I reach the end of my spring break week and I'm saddened to miss all this extra time online to watch the eagles, I'm so grateful too for this time Red Heart

Trust the Eagles ... always trust the eagles!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate