|  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Sunday, August 27 2017 @ 11:44 PM EDT  
BET

8:56

DAd brought Senior; another fish. And the LAs no where in sight

Click on image to download

She ate the whole thing in a timely manner and flew off at 9:21

Have a good day tomorrow Judy. First day back is going to be hard.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: DKY (offline) on Sunday, August 27 2017 @ 11:49 PM EDT  
DKY

jkr and BET - just reading your responses to the photos. Thank you for your kind words. I am the Enmax cam and blog watcher. My husband is more likely to go out and see and photograph the nest. It would be so very cool (and I think I have said this in the past) if us nest-watchers would have a celebratory picnic a few weeks before migration south. BET, that would be a challenge for you to come north, but I still think that's something to think about in the future. All of that being said, we are planning a trip to Spokane, Missoula, in September. Want to see Hellgate and Dunrovin although I think the our dates mean the families will have already left for southern climates. Anyway, hugs, and thanks to you all - you two in particular are so diligent in keeping track of our family and it is very much appreciated.hug

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 06:40 AM EDT  
jkr

Monday August 28, 2017

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 07:08 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning Calgary.

BET, thanks for catching the final fish delivery last night.
It is curious that JR and MID didn't make a return visit when Dad was delivering fish. Maybe they are doing the same thing as the stranger and making a nuisance of themselves at another nest. Hopefully they both make an appearance today at some point. I hate to think that was the last we'll see of them but anything is possible this late in the season. They certainly aren't the homebodies that SR has been. From all appearances of not wanting to venture far or hunt on her own I wonder if SR might indeed be the youngest and we have them all mixed up. Just a thought.
Then again, Sunday and the hot weather would have been very busy on the river with human traffic which does change things.

DKY, a get-together of some kind next year sounds like a wonderful idea . I know it's been mentioned in the past to do it but for some reason we never seem to get around to it.

4:47 a.m.
Empty nest which is no surprise at this hour of the morning.

BET, I hope the camera doesn't freeze continually when you try to record today. I truly wish we had more people posting here. I feel that you have done more than your share by recording hours and hours of videos only to run into frozen or black camera. Hopefully Enmax and the Zoo get the kinks worked out before next season.

5:30 a.m.
Nobody home yet.

6:21 a.m.
Still no one home.

6:29 am
SR arrived with a small dark fish clutched in her right talons. Do you suppose she caught it herself ?

6:30 a.m.
She flew off with it.

Middy and Jr. are usually first to arrive in the mornings but neither one showed up. I wonder if that fight on the nest yesterday had something to do with their lack of appearance ? I hope they show up at some point today.

..... I am off to work. See you around 4:30ish. Byebye

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 11:05 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Good morning Calgary. wave Thanks for all your awesome scaps and posts Judy and Bet. I'm amazed at all the activity at the nest at this time of year and like you I wonder why Sr is spending so much time on the nest.

I tuned in at 7.10 this morning and found one youngster lying on the east side of the nest facing the river and she remained just looking out until 7.36 am. Rising and turning to face the treed area she remained for seven minutes before flying off toward that area.

At 8.21 am I checked the nest again and found Mom eating a fish Fish while facing the zoo with her back towards a young O who was begging for some breakfast. Mom continued to eat and ignore the youngster, flying off at 8.28 am with the chick lifting off and then landing as Dad flew in with a nice white fish with the head removed. Fish

Dad moved a few sticks and flew off at 8.32 with the youngster leaving a minute later. It is breezy and I wasn't certain if this was Senior or not. The earlier visitor looked like one of the LA's but on this small screen I have trouble distinguishing them, sorry.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 12:15 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

After reading through yesterday's posts again I am more confident that my feeling that the chick that Mom ignored and Dad brought a fish to was a young fledgling from another nest. The behaviour showed none of the confidence or aggression that our crew do now and I have never seen Mom display the behaviour to her offspring that she did with this one.NO

It was great that Dad fed the chick although I'm not sure Dad would have realized this was a stranger before he delivered the fish. We have been told in the past that adult males will respond to begging young and we have seen our former male here do that too. These young chicks simply don't have the skill nor the experience to feed themselves. To compound that with the perils of migration is asking a tremendous lot from these youngsters.

I saw Sr on the nest at 9.19 am but wasn't able to stay and the nest was empty at 9 30 am.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 01:24 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

10.15 - 11.00 am Nest has been empty....if anyone popped in it would have been a brief visit. I hope you are enjoying your first day back Judy and good luck on staying cool Bet. It is another warm week here and in BC but nothing like you have to endure.

Speaking of which my heart goes out to the people of Texas as they struggle to survive with the deluge of water and destruction from the continuing rainfall from Hurricane Harvey. sadhug The first birding trip that my husband and I took was a five week journey by car where we headed to Mustang Island via Arizona and we visited Rockport which has been totally destroyed, Cry as well as Corpus Christie en route. fingers crossed I hope that there is not a great loss of life from this devastating storm.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Monday, August 28 2017 @ 02:44 PM EDT  
BET

Hi Jean!

Glad you were able to check the nest this am and see that there was some activity. I worked on my fence fixing gaps at the gates that a small kitten could sneak through and then set up a 4 x 4 pen for the kitten to spend his first couple of days in to let him and the dogs get used to each others presence.

Due to that, I have not paid close attention to the EnMax stream. Every time I checked it was frozen. So basically all I have on video is an empty nest. It is almost noon here and I am inside for the rest of the day.

The valley is suppose to hit 108 today That means around 100 here.

The cam stream froze again while I sit here typing. I really do not understand what EnMax has done - or not done - that makes this year such a disaster as far as the video stream is concerned.

I will try to keep an eye on the stream for the rest of the day.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:36 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate