|  Printable Version
By: JanetM (offline) on Saturday, February 25 2017 @ 10:51 AM EST  
JanetM

I hope it does too.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, February 25 2017 @ 07:46 PM EST  
golden1

I was unable to view the cam all day. There was a 404 message. Hopefully it will be streaming again tomorrow.

7:10pm update: The cam is fine but there is a problem on the web page that the Tech person will be working on soon. Good to know that the camera is ok.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JanetM (offline) on Sunday, February 26 2017 @ 06:46 AM EST  
JanetM

Still no live feed.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Monday, February 27 2017 @ 11:13 AM EST  
golden1

February 27, 2017

A warmer day today. One of the eagles is perched on the side branch. When I look again it is in the nest. But by 9:14am it is out of the nest again.

Click on image to download

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JanetM (offline) on Monday, February 27 2017 @ 11:16 AM EST  
JanetM

Yea, the feed is back. I thought the eagles never left the egg once they start incubating it.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Monday, February 27 2017 @ 06:03 PM EST  
golden1

February 27, 2017

It is a nice sunny day today. This morning when I watched the eagles were perched near the nest but not incubating. Once in awhile one or the other would settle in to incubate but then were back to perch.

Egg #2 arrives at 3:20pm. Mom was pretty tired but stood for almost 20 minutes before she began to incubate the eggs. 3:35pm Dad arrived, checked things out and flew over to perch.

Mom stands after laying the egg.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: JanetM (offline) on Monday, February 27 2017 @ 06:18 PM EST  
JanetM

Donna, Is it normal that these eagles don't incubate 24/7 like other nests I have watched? I thought the eggs had to kept at a body temp all the time.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 27 2017 @ 08:22 PM EST  
JudyB

Hi Janet! I think Donna will have a bit more information when she checks in, but it's fairly common for the female to not incubate for a little while after an egg is laid, I think to give the shell a chance to harden (my understanding is that it's a bit soft and bendable while being laid, and hardens quickly when exposed to air. It's also common for some eagles (but not all) to not incubate their eggs full-time until they've laid all of them - so if this pair is going to lay a third egg, they may not start incubating 24/7 until it arrives. This works well when there's plenty of food (and experienced adults) - the eggs will hatch closer together, and all the chicks will have a better chance at getting food on those days when food is a little more scarce. However, in a harsher environment, where food is likely to be scarce, incubating full time starting when the first egg is laid will mean the first chick will be 2-3 day older and bigger - and better able to dominate younger siblings and get enough food to thrive. This is not fun to watch (to put it mildly) - but does make sense in terms of survival of the species and passing on the genes of the parents - one strong chick is better from that perspective than two or three weak chicks.

If this is a good year, weather and food-wise, with a bit of luck we'll see two or three strong chicks here - which we've seen at Fort St Vrain in the good years. Keeping fingers crossed....

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:12 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate