Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Eagle Owls in Potted Plant Stand
 Pot Plant Owls -- 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, September 21 2016 @ 01:25 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Yesterday

Enjoying the last rays of sunshine today. Lady is quite low in the pot so you can just make out her false ear tufts

Click on image to download -- Poppa in the palm

Click on image to download -- Lady just barely peeking over the edge of the pot

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, September 21 2016 @ 01:28 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

A few people have asked why Lady is so low in the pot plant. The answer is we need to put more soil in... When you 'acquire' pot plant owls, you learn that they are never satisfied with how you have decorated 'their' pot. Either the soil is too much, or too compacted, or the branches of a tree or shrub are in the way and and and... So these pot plant owls make modifications and often we wake to find fresh soil has been kicked all over our balcony. After the sixth (or more) morning of waking up to soil on the floor, something finally switches in our human brains that perhaps the owls don't want the soil we keep picking up and putting back in. So we leave it...and then they nest and want the soil back....sigh!

(Owls with a sense of humor!!!)

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, September 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM EDT  
MaryF

These owls sure work quickly!!!

Pot Plant Owl

I think we may have our first chick. Pappa has been on the rooftop hooting loudly for ages. I can't see into the pot with Lady there but she seems more alert. If there's a gap when / if she gets off the nest, I'll confirm if we have a new arrival.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, September 30 2016 @ 02:37 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Unfortunately no hatched eggs yet. I was called away on a family emergency so haven't been able to check. This evening I can confirm that no eggs have hatched. Will keep hoping.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, September 30 2016 @ 08:03 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Unfortunately no hatched eggs yet. I was called away on a family emergency so haven't been able to check. This evening I can confirm that no eggs have hatched. Will keep hoping.

Keeping our fingers crossed

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, October 08 2016 @ 11:54 AM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

Still no confirmation of hatching. Pappa visited the balcony this evening and stood there for a long time looking in the pot plant.

We're trying not to dwell on the eggs not hatching and instead spend time saying hello to Lady and Pappa.

What's lovely is that Pappa has moved his roosting spot to above our gate in a nearby palm tree. It's reassuring waking up and seeing him.each morning.

Perhaps the breeding won't be successful this time round. Maybe Pappa is getting on in breeding years. Maybe Lady is not quite ready. Maybe there are environmental factors at play. It has been very hot here...and unbelievably dry too.

Will keep you posted.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, October 13 2016 @ 03:11 PM EDT  
MaryF

I had high hopes for a couple of cute owlets here this season with a brand new Mom. It just was not to be Sad

Pot Plant Owl

It is more likely that this time the breeding will not be successful. I saw three eggs still in the pot last night when Lady took a short break. Such is Life!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, October 15 2016 @ 10:31 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pot Plant Owl

This video is incredible! By pure chance / luck, I was at the window to witness this. amazing Pappa!

https://www.facebook.com/potplantowl/vi ... 622964230/

------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't tell what kind of prey Pappa caught but after a few minutes Lady came and took it away from him Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate