The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: gmorris (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 07:11 AM EDT  
gmorris

Quote by: Heather L

I watched the cam cleaner off and on today and I chuckled when he gave the thumbs up and took sometime to enjoy the view. I was wondering did the eagles knock all the material out of the nest ? There wasn't much in it, down to the screen and few sticks. How come he had to cut branches off the tree is that because he didn't bring enough? Sure do miss Mom, Bunker and DivotCry but I have over 800 scaps to look back at. I'd probably have a few more if I hadn't started watching so late in the season. Nodding yes Good night to all. SEDs

Hi Heather,
I am glad you watched the climber over at White Rock and I think I can answer your questions. The nest being worked on yesterday is not the current nest where eaglets were raised this summer. This is a nearby nest which was never used by eagles because it was just a platform of sorts with some sticks tied to it ...but not arranged in a pattern like an "eagle made' nest. The eagles would sometimes perch there but never took it as their own to nest in. David Hancock decided to have a climber go up and make it into a more realistic eagles nest with sticks in proper pattern and lots of nice greens for filling. He would have told the climber exactly what to do before sending him up the tree. Everyone is now hoping that this newly made nest will appeal to an eagle pair and they will make a home there next season.....time will tell. The actual White Rock nest which eagles used this season was also pretty well damaged so that is next on the agenda for another day. They will need more equipment to get materials up to that one.

I believe that the reason the climber cut off some of the branches was to get a better view of the area for the zoom cameras. Everything grows quickly in that beautiful climate and some of the coast views had been cut off. He probably put the cut greens in the nest to add a little more for future eagles to work with when they decide to make that nest their "home".

It is fascinating to me to watch it all and I know you will enjoy watching the Harrison Mills work. I hope they can restore our nest to look as good as the one yesterday!

Gail Morris

Forum

Southeastern
Pennsylvania

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 07:33 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

THURSDAY, AUGUST 24, 2017

Good Morning everyone ! Thanks nightowl for starting our day here! hug and Gail for her report on the WR Nest last night ... and I am confident the tree climber on the H Mills nest will do a great job with the cam maintenance and adding sticks and nesting material to the nest .. with Davids supervision! Smile

Weather Report
Click on image to download

4:28a
Windy at the empty nest

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: AnneP (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 07:36 AM EDT  
AnneP

Good morning all. wave

I was also able to see some of the climber fixing the nest yesterday.
It's fascinating to watch (I did see it when the HM nest cams were cleaned a couple years ago and couldn't drag myself away from watching!!).
I'm looking forward to seeing him clean things up again this year.
I hope the current nest can be repaired so that Ma and Pa fingers crossed will use it again this year for our viewing and learning pleasure.

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile     PM

By: Kitcat11848 (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 11:00 AM EDT  
Kitcat11848

Quote by: gmorris

Quote by: Heather L

I watched the cam cleaner off and on today and I chuckled when he gave the thumbs up and took sometime to enjoy the view. I was wondering did the eagles knock all the material out of the nest ? There wasn't much in it, down to the screen and few sticks. How come he had to cut branches off the tree is that because he didn't bring enough? Sure do miss Mom, Bunker and DivotCry but I have over 800 scaps to look back at. I'd probably have a few more if I hadn't started watching so late in the season. Nodding yes Good night to all. SEDs

Hi Heather,
I am glad you watched the climber over at White Rock and I think I can answer your questions. The nest being worked on yesterday is not the current nest where eaglets were raised this summer. This is a nearby nest which was never used by eagles because it was just a platform of sorts with some sticks tied to it ...but not arranged in a pattern like an "eagle made' nest. The eagles would sometimes perch there but never took it as their own to nest in. David Hancock decided to have a climber go up and make it into a more realistic eagles nest with sticks in proper pattern and lots of nice greens for filling. He would have told the climber exactly what to do before sending him up the tree. Everyone is now hoping that this newly made nest will appeal to an eagle pair and they will make a home there next season.....time will tell. The actual White Rock nest which eagles used this season was also pretty well damaged so that is next on the agenda for another day. They will need more equipment to get materials up to that one.

I believe that the reason the climber cut off some of the branches was to get a better view of the area for the zoom cameras. Everything grows quickly in that beautiful climate and some of the coast views had been cut off. He probably put the cut greens in the nest to add a little more for future eagles to work with when they decide to make that nest their "home".

It is fascinating to me to watch it all and I know you will enjoy watching the Harrison Mills work. I hope they can restore our nest to look as good as the one yesterday!

Gail, I have a question to add to Heather's about the refurbished nest. In reading all the comments, it sounded like the 2 nest trees ( the original one used this season and this refurbed one) are in very close proximity. I thought eagles claimed their territory and would not nest companionably that close together.

Aka: Marianne
Geismar, LA
Baton Rouge/ New Orleans area

Forum

Geismar, LA( Baton
Rouge/ New Orleans
area)

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 11:49 AM EDT  
karenbills

You are right, Marianne, about the close proximity of these nests. They are both on the same White Rock property and would never be occupied by two different pair of bald eagles. Because we already had a cam in that tree we were hoping when the original nest fell that the eagles might be enticed to use that tree for various reasons I won't go into here. However the 'platform nest' was not built by a climber who knew anything about nests and thus 'Ma and Pa White Rock' chose the tree they are in currently, which has produced other challenges.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Heather L (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 01:04 PM EDT  
Heather L

Quote by: karenbills

You are right, Marianne, about the close proximity of these nests. They are both on the same White Rock property and would never be occupied by two different pair of bald eagles. Because we already had a cam in that tree we were hoping when the original nest fell that the eagles might be enticed to use that tree for various reasons I won't go into here. However the 'platform nest' was not built by a climber who knew anything about nests and thus 'Ma and Pa White Rock' chose the tree they are in currently, which has produced other challenges.

Thank You Marianne for asking this question and Karen for answering . I was going to ask the same question about the distance between nests.

Forum

Fort St John British
Columbia

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 04:00 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

12:57pm
Windy at H Mills and I moved the S Cam out front facing the river

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Kitcat11848 (offline) on Thursday, August 24 2017 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
Kitcat11848

Quote by: karenbills

Thank you Karen for your answer and the information. Being a new eagle watcher this past year and not familiar with this nest, any information is appreciated.

Aka: Marianne
Geismar, LA
Baton Rouge/ New Orleans area

Forum

Geismar, LA( Baton
Rouge/ New Orleans
area)

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:26 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate