The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 - 2017 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 03:52 PM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: Nana2

Good morning everyone!!! Hope everyone is having a great day especially our eagle family. I know I should know this information but I am wandering if someone could tell me exactly where up North the Honeycombs went. I know Ma and Pa will return but do Bunker and Divot stay up North and how long before they will return to general area and do some not return to area. Thank you in advance for your answer.

I am happy to see several of you adding your locations and I noticed that two of you are in St. Louis!! Always fun to meet other 'eagleholics' (as we call ourselves) in person.

Linda, the eagles on the west coast migrate up to northern BC or southeastern Alaska, including ones from as far south as southern California and even Louisiana. I believe the ones on the east coast head up towards New England. Eagles with nest territories come back first to start 'nestorations' on their nest in the fall. The juvies have no need to come back that soon and don't start showing up down here usually until the rivers up north start freezing. Then they can no longer get to the salmon carcasses, which are under ice. They come back south and that's why there is a huge congregation of them right out there on the Chehalis/Harrison River Flats starting in late October. You will see them from our nest cams this fall. They will stay through at least mid-December or longer, depending on water levels and the amount of free food available to them. After that is gone, the ones from the U.S. then often depart in the direction of their home territories.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: AnneP (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 04:19 PM EDT  
AnneP

Quote by: Darlene

Quote by: AnneP

Good morning to everybody who is still checking the nest here. wave

Question - are the cameras for Chehalis Flats no longer there - all I see is the underwater one?

Good morning everyone! I am on holiday in Summerland with my grandkids but checking in when I can. Anne, sadly the tower at Chehailis was vandalized and tipper over so the cameras were ruined.

Thanks for the information Darlene - what a shame that the cameras were destroyed and that there are people like that out there!!

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile     PM

By: Liz (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 04:32 PM EDT  
Liz

Hi everyone I see we havent heard or seen anyone today, yet, depending on your time Im happy they are on their way or already north May their bellies be full and they fly high and free through the skies above Miss you sweeties an Ma n Pa

Forum

Southeast,Pennsylvania

Profile     PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 04:37 PM EDT  
karenbills

First of all I want to thank all of you that donated to help us reach our goal so that we can do the upcoming nest cam work at HM this year.

However I know that we have many new viewers/members this year who are not knowledgeable about HWF and David Hancock. Therefore now, while there are no Honeycombs around around, might be a good time to let you know more about us.

David Hancock and his Hancock Wildlife Foundation personally support the upkeep of his multi-wildlife cams system. We are not funded by any federal, provincial or local organization. That's why we have to ask for contributions to keep us going. Our donations have never begun to cover the annual costs and for the first 10 years, David Hancock personally made up the rest. He sometimes even sold personal property to be able to do so. Unfortunately he can no longer afford to do so. David has gone above and beyond the average nest cam provider, often going up into the nest himself to do the work and even building a nest for eagles who have lost theirs.

The cams are just part of David's life as a wildlife biologist, which he pioneered in 2006, the first to do so on the Internet for the purpose of educating the public. He personally has also done a variety of educational programs to many schools and produced his own wildlife films to teach young students the importance of conservation and how they can become 'citizen scientists'.

Animal Planet did a program on HWF a couple of years ago. More recently the CBC in Canada highlighted HWF on an episode of 'Nature of Things' with David Suzuki. Now I've also been contacted by BBC America wanting to come out here this winter to include us in one of their nature programs.

Of all the places that I get invitations to book David for a talk, my favorite is when we go to the schools. You never know what the kids will ask or who will be impressed enough to take up wildlife biology as their own vocation later in life. David started at the age of 7 with pigeons, then at 11 with falcons and at 14 he became the first eagle rehabber in British Columbia and the rest is history. That's when he fell in love with bald eagles and they became his priority in study.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: gmorris (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 06:29 PM EDT  
gmorris

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the above information. It is a good reminder for all of us to realize what is involved in keeping HWF going every year. As you said, the expenses are far more than the donations but somehow it all works out. How exciting that BBC wants to come and do a program with you in BC !
The more media exposure HWF receives, the better the chance of getting sponsors and donations to keep it all going. Another fact which some may not know is that those involved with the organization are volunteers, which means that all donations are going directly to the nests, cams and costs of providing this amazing viewing experience everyone can have free of cost! I still am amazed that I can sit in my house in Pennsylvania and turn on my computer to watch Bunker and Divot growing up in an eagle's nest in British Colombia 3000 miles away.

Looking forward to next season with all of you and please consider donating if you can!

Gail Morris

Forum

Southeastern
Pennsylvania

Profile Email   PM

By: Helen (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 07:07 PM EDT  
Helen

Quote by: gmorris

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the above information. It is a good reminder for all of us to realize what is involved in keeping HWF going every year. As you said, the expenses are far more than the donations but somehow it all works out. How exciting that BBC wants to come and do a program with you in BC !
The more media exposure HWF receives, the better the chance of getting sponsors and donations to keep it all going. Another fact which some may not know is that those involved with the organization are volunteers, which means that all donations are going directly to the nests, cams and costs of providing this amazing viewing experience everyone can have free of cost! I still am amazed that I can sit in my house in Pennsylvania and turn on my computer to watch Bunker and Divot growing up in an eagle's nest in British Colombia 3000 miles away.

Looking forward to next season with all of you and please consider donating if you can!

Hi gmorris, yes it's wonderful to watch these cams and the eagles grow up and fledge. I want to donate too but it seems to be difficult because I do not use pay pal and don't want to use it. I would rather write a check and send it in but don't know where and who to mail it to. And how much is good? I am on fixed income retired, can't afford very much.

aka 37lizmac

Forum

Saint Ann, Missouri

Profile Email   PM

By: Kitcat11848 (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 07:35 PM EDT  
Kitcat11848

Quote by: karenbills

Quote by: Nana2

Good morning everyone!!! Hope everyone is having a great day especially our eagle family. I know I should know this information but I am wandering if someone could tell me exactly where up North the Honeycombs went. I know Ma and Pa will return but do Bunker and Divot stay up North and how long before they will return to general area and do some not return to area. Thank you in advance for your answer.

I am happy to see several of you adding your locations and I noticed that two of you are in St. Louis!! Always fun to meet other 'eagleholics' (as we call ourselves) in person.

Linda, the eagles on the west coast migrate up to northern BC or southeastern Alaska, including ones from as far south as southern California and even Louisiana. I believe the ones on the east coast head up towards New England. Eagles with nest territories come back first to start 'nestorations' on their nest in the fall. The juvies have no need to come back that soon and don't start showing up down here usually until the rivers up north start freezing. Then they can no longer get to the salmon carcasses, which are under ice. They come back south and that's why there is a huge congregation of them right out there on the Chehalis/Harrison River Flats starting in late October. You will see them from our nest cams this fall. They will stay through at least mid-December or longer, depending on water levels and the amount of free food available to them. After that is gone, the ones from the U.S. then often depart in the direction of their home territories.

Karen, being from Louisiana, I found it interesting that you mentioned eagles from Louisiana migrate to northern BC and southeastern Alaska. Any idea where the LA eagles come from? I'm down in the state capital area ( Baton Rouge area). That seems such a long way for them to migrate. I would have thought they would go towards New England.

Aka: Marianne
Geismar, LA
Baton Rouge/ New Orleans area

Forum

Geismar, LA( Baton
Rouge/ New Orleans
area)

Profile Email   PM

By: gmorris (offline) on Sunday, August 20 2017 @ 08:21 PM EDT  
gmorris

I have some time and will take a little zoom around on the NPTZ.

The eagles seem to be gone but the golfers are still here, LOL.
Click on image to download
It looks like a lovely evening.

Gail Morris

Forum

Southeastern
Pennsylvania

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate