Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Wednesday, September 14 2016 @ 09:01 PM EDT  
lilywriter

7:00 pm

I have been checking the camera and nothing going on. I went out to another nesting site and there was an osprey still there. The nest had two young but the one we saw was alone so maybe this is the end o f the Ospreys I. Calgary for the year.

I had mentioned a while ago that I saw a magpie annoying and osprey. It would fly over him from side to side and the osprey did not even have a fish. While it is not our zoo osprey I thought you might like seeing a magpie annoying an osprey. It went of for about 5 minutes.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Wednesday, September 14 2016 @ 09:13 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 15 2016 @ 10:02 AM EDT  
jkr

Thursday September 15, 2016

Christine, thanks for posting your pictures. It looks like that magpie was making a game out of annoying that poor osprey.

7:56 a.m.
And speaking of magpies, one just made a visit to the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, September 16 2016 @ 07:27 PM EDT  
amd

Friday, September 16, 2016

Thank You Christine for sharing your pictures of the magpie annoying the osprey....they sure can be relentless, for a bird that
is so much smaller than an osprey!
I loved the gang of the sweet flickers from the other morning too, Judy!
oh, I'm starting to miss the O's already....the nest nearest my home has been empty for several days now....at
least each time I go by .......sigh.....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 17 2016 @ 10:34 AM EDT  
jkr

Saturday September 17, 2016

Good morning.
Thanks for checking in yesterday Michelle to give us an update on the osprey situation in your area. It's always sad to see them leave and know that fall and winter is approaching.

The birds in my area have been flocking together the past while and then a day or two later they suddenly disappear. I've seen more flocks robins, woodpeckers, flickers, red-winged blackbirds, starlings and bluejays than usual the past couple of weeks.

9:00 a.m.
There hasn't been one single visitor to the nest this morning. It looks like even the small birds have abandoned it.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, September 17 2016 @ 12:11 PM EDT  
BET

There has not been a single thing that has moved on the nest in my video except once, a wind blown feather, for several days.

It has been a different season to say the least.

I am sorry to say, I have to face it, the time has come to say Fare Well until next April.

Bet

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 17 2016 @ 12:32 PM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning BET. Thanks once again for being our "go to" person for live action this year.
I have to agree that it's time for us all to say goodbye to this nest for the season, as hard as that is to do.
I might actually get around to painting my computer/sewing room that I've been putting off since the osprey returned.

I will leave this thread open for any news that Janet, Christine, Michelle and Jean would like to share from the Calgary area. There might be a bird or two of interest that we'd love to hear about. Actually any news at all from around the zoo is also welcome.
I see that Emara, a Masai giraffe, has joined the Zoo family. http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/new-giraffe-j ... -1.3075389

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 24 2016 @ 10:04 AM EDT  
jkr

Sept 24th
I had to make a trip to Calgary the first part of the week for an appointment so I kept an eye on all the osprey nests along the way. There wasn't an osprey anywhere to be seen and no eagles either. As for ducks, geese, crows and magpies -- they were too numerous to count and there were a few of the usual hawks waiting on the hydro poles and fence posts waiting for roadkill. It is definitely Fall !

I haven't checked the cam for a few days but at 8:30 a.m. on the cam I see the magpies continue to visit the nest. I am actually surprised Enmax has left the cam up this long.

8:42 a.m.
A flock of birds arrived.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:54 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate