Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: ErnieL (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 07:26 PM EDT  
ErnieL

***I would have liked to visit the nest site this year also but since it was moved I'm not sure where to start from to visit the site. It also appears that once there you are under the nest looking up at the bottom. Unless there's O's in the air or in the trees nearby there may not be much there to see. It would be nice to run into another O watcher, that would make it worthwhile. I'm still a rookie when it comes to the world of O's.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Monday, September 12 2016 @ 01:27 AM EDT  
lilywriter

How exciting for you, Judy, to have seen dad on the nest and thank you, Michelle, for going down to the area and providing us with some lovely pictures. I bet it was our family.

On Saturday, when I was driving down the Deerfoot, I saw an Osprey sitting on a light pole not far from Memorial Drive. I think the Osprey like the new light poles in the city because today at the south end of Deerfoot, I saw one sitting on a light pole eating a fish. It was an Osprey weekend for me. On Saturday evening, my mom and I went to Fish Creek and we could see a bird on a tree in the distance. It was sitting where red tails and swainson's normally sit so we assumed it was one of those. When we got closer we could see it was an Osprey and I did not have my camera ready and it flew off. How wonderful it was to see it soar off. Also, on Saturday, I saw two Osprey at another nest.

It was lovely to see a successful year at our nest despite all the interlopers in the area in August. At least, our Osprey will be ready for any challengers who try to bother them on their migration.

I wish the nest had not moved despite how successful it was. Going down to the old location was quick and easy. I could park in Inglewood and walk maybe a block and watch our family. Now, the nest is not so accessible and we have to park at the zoo and walk to the nest. I am sure it will remain where it is once the work has been completed at the old location.

Thank you all for your reports and s'caps and for keeping my mother and me up to date through out the year.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 12 2016 @ 10:10 AM EDT  
jkr

Monday, September 12, 2016

Good morning.

Christine, that is exciting that you saw so many osprey on Saturday.
I wish at times that the O's from this nest had trackers on them so we know where they travel to in the off-season.

Ernie, I hope you enjoy reading all events of the past season. Thank goodness the only bad times were the intruder chicks near the end of the season and all the fish that gave up their lives for this family. Other than that it was a very good year.

It's 8:08 a.m. and I've had the cam up since 6:00 while I do other work at the computer. So far I've only seen a crow or two fly past the nest and the odd duck swimming by in the river. No sign of Dad or anyone else on the nest yet today.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 09:33 AM EDT  
jkr

Tuesday September 13, 2016

Good morning Calgary.

I am saddened to read the news that the tests for whirling disease in the Bow River have turned up positive for the disease.
A big concern will be what effect this will have on the food source for our osprey next season if the fish population declines.
The news article is here:
Deadly whirling disease confirmed in Bow River fish
Quote from Alberta Environment and Parks biologist Roger Ramcharit: "At its worst, whirling disease can wipe out up to 90 per cent of a trout population, he said.

"The bottom line is, it can have a very serious impact on trout populations for a period of time, which could be years."

A Northern Flicker was poking around in the nest at 7:56 a.m.
Click on image to download

8:35 am
A robin visits the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM EDT  
jkr

9:43 a.m.
It's a busy morning at the nest. A flock of starlings has arrived to do a clean up.

and then at 9:38 a.m. We have a magpie.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 11:46 AM EDT  
BET

deleted as Judy had already posted the images. I thought they were sparrows.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 01:20 PM EDT  
jkr

BET, I thought they were sparrows too until a couple of them got close enough to the cam and I thought I could make out the speckles on their backs. The camera is so hazy that it is hard to make out any detail.
One flew very near the camera on the right but I wasn't quick enough to catch it. It probably would have shown us more detail of which species it was. Did you happen to catch that on the video ?

I've also come to the conclusion that the sparkles we see on the river aren't on the river at all but the sun glinting off spider webs on the cam. Hopefully Enmax will clean it when they clear the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 04:15 PM EDT  
amd

Thank you Judy for the sweet pics of the northern flicker, robin and other birds visiting the nest ---
those put a smile on my face compared to how sad I feel about the shared article about the whirling disease
and just how brutal the outcome could be ....that's devastating news. Cry how this this happen?? where did it come from??
does this effect all species of fish or only trout & salmon population? I need to read more.

very sparkly!! at the empty nest 2:24 pm

I've been peeking in lots over the last few days...and always just seeing the emptiness.

thank you Judy, Bet, Christine for the updates. hug

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:21 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate