Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:55 PM EDT  
BET

Michelle et al

Not a bird on the nest all day! I could have missed a wee one when I skimmed through the day's video, but definitely no Dad. Did see the week end photographer. And probably you Michelle late in the day.

Thank you for the photos of the O's. Who ever they were, it was great to see them.

I always hate saying good bye for the year, so I am going to put it off for a few more days. I will keep the recording going - just in case. Even a migratory visitor would be great to see.

When the O's go (Hellgate's have both left) I am faced with all the chores I have put off for 5 1/2 months. A good housecleaning, dog grooming, yard work (time to plant bulbs) etc. So I am happy to put off facing those chores for a few more days. I don't have to worry that they will go away before I get to them! Roll eyes

Bet

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 11:18 PM EDT  
jkr

Good evening All

DKY and Ernie it is wonderful to see your posts tonight. I was thinking about the two of you lately and hoping you had the opportunity to watch the nest this year. It did turn out to be another wonderful year at the nest and so glad you were able to catch some of the action.

Michelle, you make me jealous ! I wanted so badly to go to the nest site this year. LOL
Maybe that was Dad with Jasper and Blaze that you saw today. I also like to believe it was.
Thank you so much for taking the time to go to the nest but something told me that you would never rest until you saw for yourself that everyone was gone. A true osprey addict ! Osprey and thank you for posting the photos.

That poor hawk . Crows are absolutely ruthless creatures when they gang up like that. I wonder why they always like to pick on raptors ?

Bet, thanks again for running video today. I had the cam on most of the day while I was sewing and working around the house and saw NOTHING on the nest after the magpie visit.

I can sure relate to having to do a major catch up on delayed tasks after months of osprey watching and having to go to work some days with getting nothing else done. Of course, I will likely be checking the cam until Enmax turns it off and then scrambling to get ready for another season.

It is now 9:18 p.m and the nest is it's lonely empty self so I will call it a night.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 09:48 AM EDT  
jkr

Sunday September 11, 2016

Good morning one and all.

7:44 a.m.
It's raining and the temperature is 6C. Tonight it will be down to 2C. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!
No point of me posting a picture of a wet empty nest.
Maybe some species of bird will pop in sometime today. It would be nice if it was an osprey but I'm not holding out hope on that happening.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 10:15 AM EDT  
jkr

8:12 (8:29 on cam)
wow ! This was unexpected and took me totally by surprise. Dad flew in from the river area and landed with a fish in his left talon.
He stood there for a moment as if waiting for someone to arrive and then suddenly headed to the west of the nest.
For a minute I thought I was imagining that he was really there but he made my whole morning Cloud 9
I wonder why he stopped on the nest with food if the chicks are gone, or are they still around but not coming to the nest anymore ?

Michelle, now I really do believe that was likely Dad and the chicks you saw flying yesterday.
Click on image to download

BET, you probably didn't have your recorder going that early but maybe he will pop in again sometime today.

Adding:
It is now 10:20 a.m. Dad didn't make a return to the nest and there have been no other visitors.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 01:22 PM EDT  
amd

Oh my gosh Judy!! Wooh Fantastic surprise, what a beautiful sight!! thank you for catching
this for us to see! That had to be him yesterday then, like you said Judy ....they were right above me
but just didn't come in to the nest ....more fun gliding around and exploring, I don't blame them...LOL!!

Holy macaroni it is cold here this morning.....my furnace keeps kicking in.
I hope they do get in gear here and get going, as much as I would like them to stay. Red Heart

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 01:26 PM EDT  
BET

Morning Judy et al

I am glad you got to see Dad this am Judy. I am sorry though - I don't get up as early as you and with out "special reason like egg laying/hatching etc" I don't get the computer and recording going until I get the day started. 9 - 930am cam time is the norm. Wish I had done it earlier this am.

Recording is going and so far a boring nothing except wind blowing the tree tops.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 07:00 PM EDT  
jkr

4:55 pm
Taking a quick peek and see that the sun is trying to shine and the wind has died down a bit from morning, but no birds to be seen.

I hope the osprey have headed south today for sure. It had been raining most of today here in Cranbrook and now that the clouds have lifted I see we have SNOW on the Rockies and Purcells. It can't be much better on the Rockies west of Calgary. The weatherman says it's a one day thing and will warm up to the mid 20's again this week fingers crossed

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: ErnieL (offline) on Sunday, September 11 2016 @ 07:19 PM EDT  
ErnieL

***Happy to see the picture of Daddy-O on the nest today. Maybe there's still a chick or two circling around waiting for the fish that he brought in. Tonight's temperature dip might give them incentive to start moving south. I'd like to migrate south for awhile myself but I'll more than likely stay here and shovel S*O*.
***I'm trying to catch up on all the back postings to see what I missed over the summer. I haven't noticed any tragedies reported so far so I think it must have been a good year for the osprey family.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate