Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:56 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Hi Judy Byebye and thanks for the picture showing just how close the weir is. I imagine that it holds up the fish awhile providing the osprey and others a good chance at catching them. But someone else may know better as I am not a fisherman. Green LOL

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 02:16 PM EDT  
jkr

12:07 p.m.
Visitor at the nest site. Maybe someone looking for the birds ?
I've had the cam up while I'm catching up on some sewing but so far I haven't seen anyone stop at the nest since the magpie visited this morning.
Click on image to download

12:31
The person is back again but I can't make out much detail except for dark clothing and white running shoes and possibly holding a large camera. I wish whoever it was belonged to our forum so we know what they are seeing down there.

The person must be doing some serious bird watching. He/she didn't leave until 12:50 p.m. Maybe the osprey are still in the area.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: DKY (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 08:55 PM EDT  
DKY

It is with sincere thanks that I say - excellent coverage of our Osprey season to BET, Judy, Jean, Michelle, Carolyn, Janet, and anyone else I may have forgotten. Its heartwarming to know our 3 chicks have fledged - and I hope all 5 have safe travels south, and Mom and Dad are back again next season (I start watching the nest again first week of April! I can't tell you the delight I feel when Mom and Dad return!!) I wish all of you a healthy, safe, and happy fall and winter. And look forward to your posts next spring. I do think it would be pretty special if we could have a "meeting/picnic" next August before the O's all leave. Particularly special if BET could make the journey north. Thank you once again. DKYoung.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: ErnieL (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
ErnieL

***We had a great 2016 season, couldn't get my old computer working for the first part of the season so I missed a lot in the beginning. Then shortly after a friend came and got that fixed we were away on a 2 week camping holiday, missed another 2 weeks. By the time we got settled down to follow the young o's they were large O's. we kept the camera running for the past few weeks and they didn't seem to run out of fish to eat. I didn't see the chicks fly in with a fish of their own so I don't know if they did or not. For some reason I couldn't find as much time to invest in watching as I have in recent years. Probably due to the fact that it now takes me twice as long to do half as much. I haven't seen any sign of the chicks or adults for the past couple of days. I may have missed them or they may be following their GPS route south. I wish them all a good trip if that is the case. Looking forward to starting over fresh in 2017.
***Did anyone see 4 osprey chicks on the nest at any time? I thought I did once for a few minutes then one flew away. I thought it could have been a chick from another nest, I should have recorded the day & time but I didn't.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:05 PM EDT  
amd

Hello again, Judy and Jean--- thank you for the updates and additional info from earlier in the day.

wave DKY and Ernie!! Thank you so much for your posts! It sure was a fantastic season, and I think it was mentioned by all too....we were all
so worried about the relocation....but I think all and all it was a positive adjustment. and yes Ernie!! the last two weeks were chaotic with an "adoptee"
chick as we dubbed her.....and there are many beautiful pics showing the fourth chick on the nest....got many good feedings Smile
so you probably saw some of the time while they got along.....there were times a little later that we witnessed a lot more aggression by resident juvie (we thought it was Zoe) with even just being on the nest, and without food in the picture, just not wanting anyone else on the nest I guess.
--- it was a very interesting time nonetheless.

Oh Judy, I wish that had been me down at the nest site around lunch time...
however, I did make it down there at 5:30 pm ......it was a beautiful late afternoon,
and with a cold front coming in tonight, I thought that I might be lucky to see something today, if Dad was still around?
Many gulls on the sand/gravel bars......the nearest one here is the tip that we see from the cam view on the right upper side.
so quiet, so lonely without our screechers!! I do love how they would call....Red Heart

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:10 PM EDT  
amd

No sounds or sights of osprey.....I even walked up the path (west) to look at the old
nest site and power poles, in case Dad was up were he used to hang out in years past at this time.....
checked up and down the river....listening.....had the binoculars too just in case! No signs....

there was some excitement here when a group of crows were giving this poor hawk such a hard time.
hawk is furthest left
just one hassling the hawk now....silly crows....

I was getting so disappointed that I didn't even hear an osprey calling, or see one
flying down the river .... Sad

it had been more than an hour, so I packed up my camera into my bag....
my visit wasn't for nothing......the scenery was beautiful, leaves turning golden yellow.....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:18 PM EDT  
amd

then, as I started to go back up to the path, I heard that adult osprey call! that single alert call...that I love so much...
and also a younger sounding osprey call, the juvie was very excited.....I looked up and there were three soaring together love
quite high, but they floated right above me and above the nest.....I scrambled to get out my cam again.
so missed some really good views unfortunately....
wish the light was better too....but I was shaking with excitement and so happy to hear
and see some osprey after all.

this was at 6:35 pm
Juvie
Adult

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:21 PM EDT  
amd

they went higher and higher, and further east downstream towards the weir.
and I lost that opportunity to get some better shots.....sorry friends.

It was so beautiful to watch the graceful circling configurations that these osprey
were just so effortlessly doing, without a thought.....Cloud 9 I'm cloud nine....so happy that I zipped down there today
and even though we will never know if that was Dad and maybe Jasper and Blaze....I'd like to think it could be.
Again, my reason for going to the nest, was to see if Dad was still perched near the nest, still in that protective mode
and I tell ya, it was a real ghost town down there....(of course until the three beauties soared by.)

Dark and windy tonight
8:25 pm (8:43 on the cam)

good night everyone hug

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate