Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 05:27 PM EDT  
BET

Visitor went on alert

Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
BET

And off she went as a second Osprey flew in

This Osprey only stayed a few seconds. Never had a good view of top skull and never the front. But I personally think this is DAd. So he has not left as yet.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 07:32 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

5:15 pm First time I've had a chance to look in today and see our beautiful but empty nest in the lovely sunshine. Sunny

I think that Judy caught the magpies early today Bet but they are there for the food scraps so if they are all gone we won't see much more of them. Of course being non-migratory they do hang around "forever".

But that does look like Dad Bet and thanks for the great image. Seeing that he came in when an interloper was there it is all the more likely to be Dad protecting his nest' Very interesting that he is still here and luckily we are in for two nice days counting today. I won't be here on the weekend but maybe one of us will get lucky and see Dad again before he leaves.

Thanks Bet for taping and viewing a ton of footage to help make our viewing so much more meaningful as we follow the family's nesting behaviour from year to year. It has been a joy to watch with all of you and follow your sightings, Bet, Judy, Michelle and Christine and I'm sorry that the parking was so difficult for Janet this year as I'm sure we all missed her wonderful photos from year's gone by. Hopefully when the zoo bridge is completed we will all have easier access to the area.

It looks like Iris and Louis have left their Hellgate nest too so the osprey are definitely heading south. There were six seen by Nature Calgary groups on birding walks earlier this week in Fish Creek Park. It will be interesting to see whether any are sighted next week!

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 12:47 AM EDT  
jkr

BET, I am so happy that you saw Dad today.
That does make sense that he is still here because if you recall Michelle's report on her visit to the nest last year, or the year before, he was still here days after the others had gone. Maybe he is the last to leave every year but I wonder what it is that entices the chicks to migrate ahead of him. Dunno

The female that visited was definitely not Mom.

I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

Jean, enjoy your weekend away.

Good night all.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 09:17 AM EDT  
jkr

Saturday September 10, 2016

Good morning All

7:17 a.m.
A magpie stopped in to do a clean up.

Another magpie showed up at 8:15 but didn't stay long.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:20 AM EDT  
amd

Good Morning Judy, Jean, Bet and Christine,
it sure was nice to see that Dad was still here yesterday......he does seem to be the last to go usually
last few years for sure.
look what I found in the Calgary Herald this morning, I am thinking that this could be why the river levels keep dropping temporarily.
Harvie passage is just east of the train bridge, just around the bend in the river, just southeast of the nest.
they must have had to drop the levels to get down into the riverbed to put up these temporary dams in the areas that they are
working on...
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... 2013-flood

the Calgary Sun had a better picture showing more of what they are doing to the riverbed Oh My
http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/09/ha ... er-resumes

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:35 AM EDT  
jkr

Good morning Michelle.

Thank you so much for solving the mystery of the river for us. The work on Sept 8th fits in with what was happening that day on the camera. It is interesting that there was no announcement of it in the news before the work began which left us all wondering what was happening.

I have added a map to show how close Harvey Passage is to the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, September 10 2016 @ 10:50 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Good Morning, Calgary.wave

Looking in before 8 am I see that the nest is empty again. This morning's paper says that there is work being done on the Harvie Passage for Kayakers and that explains the change in river flow that we noticed around 9:30 -10:00 am on Thursday, Judy, and may also account for the previous change in river levels the week before. It's too bad that the powers that be could not have waited until our osprey had left the area.

According to the Herald they are building cofferdams (temporary dams) to protect fish habitat while " rebuilding and lengthening channels in the river to dissipate rapids as well as using concrete ramps to deflect water are a few logistical elements" to create a safer river site. This for people of course and I wonder how all this will affect the osprey's fishing areas. Puzzled

The Alberta Whitewater Association is also asking the city to build change rooms and provide parking so I fear that it doesn't bode well for our birds if they continue to lose habitat left right and center. NO This work is to continue in August-September and April-May of every year until it reaches completion which is hoped for in the spring of 2018.

Page A6 of the Calgary Herald has pictured a large disturbed area on the riverbank with at least five construction machines at work. This along with all the prettification of our city parks and the contrasting squalor from squatters in the Inglewood area makes one wonder just how long it will remain good habitat for our osprey and other wildlife.

Nature Calgary and the Inglewood Community Association were successful to getting an indoor classroom moved back from prime habitat in the Inglewood Sanctuary so perhaps they will look at this too.

8:45 am The nest remains empty and clouds have moved in already. Oh I missed your post regarding the river Michelle so mine is redundant but I will leave it for now. Grin

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:10 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate