The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: amd (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 02:02 PM EDT  
amd

Hi there Christine, Judy, Jean, Bet ~~

I saw that little one there a few minutes ago too, lil' cutie, looked like a little sparrow like you said Christine ---
each time I have checked in here over the last couple
days, it's been a ghost town Sad but I am glad at the same time that most
likely all of our family has started that next step
of moving south for the winter. Judy, thank you so much for posting the timeline today.

I look upon the lonely nest, missing them so much already esp. Mom...I didn't expect her to go so quickly
....the sunshine is sparkling on the water, but that north wind is picking up -- its just after high noon.

I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you, for your great observations and pics, the top-of-the-line team work and long hours
of documenting this very interesting and successful season. hug its been fantastic.

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 03:34 PM EDT  
jkr

1:18 pm
I have had the cam up for awhile during my chores and it's been a sad sight each time I checked. I keep hoping for a chick but know it is very unlikely after this many hours.

Jean, Christine, Bet and Michelle, thank you ever so much for being here for the highs and lows this year and all your wonderful reports and screen captures. Also, a special thanks to you BET from all of us for keeping your video running to catch the details for us. It certainly helped fill in the blanks and the quick action that we missed.

All around it was an excellent season, except for the mayhem the intruders brought to the nest the last couple of weeks. Who knows, maybe our chicks are further south raising trouble at some other osprey's nest today. Titter

After all our worry that Mom and Dad would never find their nest in April it turned out to be a great location after all.

Enmax and the Calgary Zoo, thank you so much for providing the camera yet again this year.

.... time for me to go to work but of course I'll be checking in when I can.

See you later.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 04:37 PM EDT  
BET

Not an Osprey on the nest (in my recordings) since Wed 9:27am when the chick that had been waiting and waiting on the nest finally gave up and flew off

Tail end Charlie?
Click on image to download

There has been no activity on the nest today since I started the recorder at 9:00am except for that wee bird at noon time

The recorder is still going - just in case a visitor pops in.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 10:39 PM EDT  
amd

Thank you for recording Bet, and for checking Big hugs

awww....tail end Charlie....I like that, so fitting ....(last aircraft in a formation) love this seems to be the case here Bet

the nest down south here by my house had one on it, each time I drove by it today....but
tonight as I got home, there were two. Most are moving along it seems.....Osprey

Have a good night everyone

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 09:09 AM EDT  
jkr

September 09, 2016 to Spring 2017

This thread will be left open for anything you want to share to get us through to the next season.

Bet, thanks for checking back on your videos yesterday to confirm the last visit to the nest as being Wed. Sept 7th
It still seems a few days too early for them to gone, but this year has been a strange one right from the beginning, with the nest being moved, the odd weather all summer and intruders, adopted and otherwise. I think the intruders arriving was what made Mom's decision to leave early this season and maybe the unpredictable weather which always seemed to stress her.

I have added the last sightings of the adults and chicks to the timeline on the first page so we have a reference for next season. I wish I had done that previously so that I didn't have to go searching the other day. Why didn't I do that ?

It's a beautiful sunny morning at the nest and the only birds around have been the gulls out near that tiny strip of sandbar. It's very interesting that the magpies seemed to have disappeared from the area the same day the osprey did.

8:54 a.m.
I was wrong about the magpies disappearing. Four of them have arrived to clean up the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 02:58 PM EDT  
jkr

12:57 pm
Thought I would just take a quick peek at the nest before I leave for work and I see a vehicle parked on the side of the trail below. Maybe a City, Zoo or Enmax vehicle ? Puzzled

1:03 pm
Someone got out of the truck.
I wonder if they waited until after Enmax told them the osprey were gone to do some kind of work that close to the nest ?

1:10 pm
The van pulled forward and then backed up out of view.
Well, at least it was a bit of action today even if it wasn't birds.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 03:48 PM EDT  
BET

Hi all!

So little action at the nest! Weird - Where are the magpies that have always taken over the nest?

Well, at least a little bird visited at 9:40

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, September 09 2016 @ 05:25 PM EDT  
BET

3:29 - 3:30
Several posts

An Osprey flew in - not Mom or Dad So I am presuming it is a migrator

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate