The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary Osprey 2016
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, September 07 2016 @ 10:57 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

I tried to look in at 5 pm but had computer problems so had to shut down. I was going out again at any rate so I missed seeing any Osprey here today. The nest was very empty when I returned at 8:15 tonight.

We had a nice day weather-wise with a downturn predicted for tomorrow but it is supposed to bounce back again and be warm Friday and Sat. fingers crossed I have to be out a lot and then go to the lake on Sat-Sun so hope I do see the lovelies again.

Have a good night Judy and anyone else if you're watching.Smile

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Wednesday, September 07 2016 @ 11:10 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Hello Judy and Jean,

Mom and I took a day trip to Canmore. We had a nice day in the area but noticed the lack of birds besides crows and magpies. It made us think that the birds must be on their way and our osprey will leave soon. It was nice to see someone was still at the nest today but it is sad to see the empty nest. Sigh.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 01:36 AM EDT  
jkr

Thursday September 8, 2016

WEATHER
Risk of thunderstorm
High 12C
Low 5C
Wind 20km/h
Gusts 38km/h

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 09:28 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning Calgary, Jean, Christine, Michelle, BET and All

Christine, if you didn't see birds on your trip to Canmore yesterday I guess that is a good indication everyone has headed south .

Jean, sorry you are having continuing computer issues. That is frustrating.

5:00 a.m. to 8:14 a.m.
Not a thing happening at the nest. Not even the pesky magpies have made an appearance this morning but the morning rush hour traffic on the trail below has been happening for over an hour now.

The last sighting of our chicks is the one that left the nest at 9:10 a.m. yesterday, and it also happened to be the first day that Dad didn't make a fish delivery.
It gives me a feeling that they left the area sometime yesterday. Sad If that's the case I wish them all a long life and safe travels and that Mom and Dad make a safe return next year. Mom and Dad once again did a wonderful job of raising their family and I know we all feel so fortunate to have watched the entire process.

A short, end of season, timeline according to what I could find in our posts:

Last sighting of Mom was Aug 31st. I thought she was here a day or two later than that but can't find a post where it was mentioned. Maybe I am imagining she was here later.

Last sighting of Dad Sept 6th when he made a fish delivery

Last sighting of a chick Sept 7th -- unless one magically appears sometime today

Sept 1st was the last day that we saw 3 chicks on the nest that were actually getting along with each other so that may be the last time the siblings were all together.

Click on image to download
The lonely nest.

Added:
9:04 a.m.
The nest hasn't had any visitors at all so far today.

9:10 a.m.
Two tiny birds stopped in and flew off right away. Looked like sparrows or something similar.

9:54 a.m.
The water level in the river is going down and the stream appears to be running east to west along the sand bar which is really bizarre. I wonder if it has anything to do with the work being done around the zoo island ?

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 12:20 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

wave

Good morning Calgary and thanks for the summary of last visits, Judy. Hi Christine, it has been very quiet the last few times that I have gone to the Lake. Primarily I have seen young Swainson's and Red-tailed Hawks on migration en route along with the Ravens and Crows, etc.

It has been another eventful and successful year for Mom and Dad as they once again were able to raise three healthy chicks and send them on their way, if indeed they all have departed.

In spite of all the theory that the adults do not accompany their young on migration I like to think that they may start their journey together. Mom and Zoe seemed to disappear at the same time and we'll see if Jasper and Blaze show up at the nest again now we think that Dad has left too,

The nest looks very lonely today and has the few times I've looked in. Thanks Enmax and the Calgary Zoo for providing us the camera that affords us insight to the nesting behaviour of our wonderful osprey as they fight to survive in our ever-changing world. Long may we have the privilege of sharing this world with wildlife and hopefully keeping our environment clean and healthy enough for them to not only survive but thrive.

Thanks also to Hancock Wildlife for providing this forum for us to keep watch and share our observations and insights while learning about our natural world. And thank you once again Judy for setting up this thread and being here for us day after day. I hope that everyone has a good winter and will be back again next spring when our birds make their way back to the Bow. Of course it is not certain that they all have left now but that time has come.Sad and we wish them a good journey south and many fish along the way.FishFishFish

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 12:27 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

10:25 am The nest remains empty and the temperature has dropped from 13 C to 12 so we may have reached our "high" early.

I'm not sure what is happening with the water levels in the river Judy. No word came my way from Alberta Environment who are the ones responsible for the changing levels. No comment. Smile

I have to go out again.Byebye

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 12:47 PM EDT  
jkr

Hi Jean,

It sure does look like a lonely nest.
Oddly enough the river level was back to normal not long after it receded. Because we only see a small portion along the north bank it's hard to say if it was apparent anywhere else.

I'm sure our chicks will be following Dad for a few days. I can't see them stop begging for a fish now and then so he may end up having to chase them off eventually. We sure have to give him credit for the work he put in feeding them all this year. I'd love to know how a bird that size can have such a supply of energy and strength. They truly are amazing.

10:47 am
A bird flew along the river but alas it was only a magpie. Sad HoHum -- I'm already going into osprey withdraw. Cry Hanky
And on that sad note I must get chores done here before it's time for work today.

BET, I don't know if you have the recorder going at all but just in case maybe someone will eventually show up, or maybe not. Dunno

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, September 08 2016 @ 01:50 PM EDT  
lilywriter

11:50 am

Hi Jean and Judy,

I have been checking in and nothing has been on the nest until now. A small bird has been sitting in the upper left. Just sitting. It might be a sparrow but it looks so slim.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate