Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 02:27 PM EDT  
MaryF

From today--June 14th ----

A triangle of warm eagles

Click on image to download

Mom does a "shuggle" while the kids watch

This has to qualify as a branching--both feet up on the branch away from the nest. Clapping

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 03:47 PM EDT  
MaryF

Is that a vulture on the nest watching them eat? Green LOL

Very soon little brother

Big wings for Star

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 03:53 PM EDT  
MaryF

A sudden heavy storm--love the drop of water on the end of Skye's beak. The nest tree was really swaying!

Hunkered down flat in the nest---bits of hail coming down

These are not happy campers! A good look at the transmitters

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 03:57 PM EDT  
MaryF

Drying off---shaking those wings

Wetlets!!

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 15 2016 @ 02:04 PM EDT  
MaryF

I went to check on the eaglets since one of them branched yesterday and this is what I found -- sigh sign

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Power Out

Yesterday's storms apparently knocked out the power feed to the nest area. We are waiting for Mid-American Energy to restore power. Hopefully when the power comes back we will also get the camera feed.

Posted at 1:45:21 PM

Offline Tonight
Both cameras went offline this afternoon during the storms. Hopefully we can get them back online in the morning. I did check the nest and it is fine.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Wednesday, June 15 2016 @ 09:58 PM EDT  
MaryF

The nest must have had more awful storms after the one that I posted pictures of above here. When I came to the thread to see if the cams were back on here is what I found!!!! Wooh (Remember these eaglets have not really even branched yet other than that tiny step onto the branch yesterday). This pair of eaglets are only 65 and 68 days old!! Sad What a year this has been for nests and eaglets!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Star & Sky Are Out Of The Nest

This afternoon I went to check the nest site to see if power had been restored. To my surprise I found both Star and Sky apparently OK but on the ground below the nest tree. At that point I made a call to Dr. Miller at West Virginia University. She checked the telemetry data and is able to confirm that Sky left the nest Yesterday (Tuesday) at 3:31pm and that Star left the nest Yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:56pm. That first time coincides with a line of storms that knocked out power to the cameras. I would suspect that one or both of the eaglets got caught by a gust and forced out of the nest.

Below you will see a partial map of some of the telemetry data showing movements through part of the day today. The data suggests that both are flying for some short distances but since they were not expected to fledge for another week or two they are not yet capable of getting all the way back to the nest.

Tomorrow morning the team from U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service will come out and check the situation to see if there is any additional action needed. Liberty and Justice will likely be feeding then on the ground or on low branches of the trees until they are able to fly back to the nest. It is not uncommon for eaglets to spend a fair amount of time at ground level. We have seen this before at the Alcoa nest, just not before fledging.

I will give you another update tomorrow after the folks from USF&W have been here.

This picture shows where the eaglets have been since they either fell or were blown from the nest.

Click on image to download -- click me bigger

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 02:12 PM EDT  
MaryF

The latest update from Alcoa ---

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Off The Ground For Now

This morning a team from the local office of U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service helped put our pair on a branch of a multi branch tree just west of the parking lot at the nest site. Both Star and Sky seem to be very healthy. Star had lost a talon but there is no sign of infection and a new talon is expected to grow back. Both Liberty and Justice are keeping a close eye on the eaglets and I am sure have spent time with them on the ground. Both were circling around this morning while we were there.

Despite some data points from the telemetry that make it appear the two have been flying, it is clear neither one is quite ready to get more than a few feet off the ground for short periods of time. Since they are 9.5 weeks old it will not be long before they are able to fly. The hope is they will stay in this tree for a week or more. There are plenty of branches at different levels for them to use. If they come back down to ground level we will continue to monitor them but not attempt to put them back in a tree. Hopefully in a few days they will be able to do that for themselves.

One additional word about the telemetry. When the eaglets were on the ground the heavy tree cover above can cause some errors in the data. Later when they spend most of their time at the tops of trees the data should be more accurate.

We still do not have power restored to the cameras. I am hoping that will happen today even though there will not be much to see until they are able to fly back to the nest.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:31 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate