https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 SW Florida Eagle Cam 2015/16
 |  Printable Version
By: Opal (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 07:50 AM EDT  
Opal

Question: does it depend on the area of the nest as to how high it will be built (side walls)?
I notice NFL Eagles nest the walls seem so much higher. But maybe it is the angle of cameras. Thoughts?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PaminIndiana (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 09:32 AM EDT  
PaminIndiana

Quote by: Opal

Question: does it depend on the area of the nest as to how high it will be built (side walls)?
I notice NFL Eagles nest the walls seem so much higher. But maybe it is the angle of cameras. Thoughts?

Opal...it may appear that there is a definite difference in the sides due to camera angles, but from what I have observed, most of the nests are constructed about the same as far as the rail height, wherever they are.

There is nothing more beautiful than an eagle.

Forum

Profile Email Website PM

By: Cat (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 09:36 AM EDT  
Cat

@ Opal @ PaminIndiana
I have also noticed that Romeo and Juliet are further in their nest work. - But Harriet and M15 should have good time for the work - if, as told here, Harriet will be fertile first in mid November, shouldn't they? wave R&J did not need to fight for their courtship but were ready for cooperation as soon as they met each other again in September. Harriet's situation was unclear for weeks this autumn, before she could really begin building for her future in praxis finally with M15, wasn't it?

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: dadsjazz (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 10:00 AM EDT  
dadsjazz

Nest Activity Continued

Thanks Candi, Vick, Linda, and Debbi

AM Activities: Busy morning! Lots of branch and stick gathering. The nest is taking great shape.

6:12 Greeting vocalizations heard just now by both.
6:25 soft vocal from M15 and a chirp from Harriet.
6:58 notice both in nest
6:54vocals and stretching.
6:56 Harriet, then M15 into the nest.
7:00 M15 to the attic.
7:18 M15 to front pine. Perched, looks, grabs a branch and back to the nest. M15 to attic.
7:22 Harriet to west pasture tree. M15 follows.
7:26 both back with sticks. Tandem again today!
7:28 M15 to attic. H moving sticks.
7:32 H to front pine. Looking, trying to break one with beak and foot. Gets one, nice - curved. Back to nest. Lays it down. Looking again,
7:36 Harriet to west pasture again.
7:38 back with stick. Moving, trying to place in just the right spot.
7:58 M15 out to snag, grabs long vine, back around. I don't know if he dropped it and brought another stuck from a tree he flew thru but came back with a stick.
8:03 H to west pasture and ti ground with branch. Lifted off and back to nest with it.
8:00 M15 flew off and I believe brought a stick back to the nest at around.
8:05 Harriet left and brought back more nest material at around. She left the nest and then M15 hopped down to check her placement at 8:06am.
8:12 M 15 is in the attic. Harriet Is in the nest.
Both in the nest for a few minutes. Harriet leaves and then M15 goes to the branch. Harriet returns with nesting material at 8:18am. M15 remains on the branch.

Bonding at 8:23am. M15 is getting it right.

8:26 Harriet flies to left pond tree.
8:29 Harriet back to the nest. Then to west pasture. In two different trees, to ground.
8:38 Harriet back to nest with material.
8:50 Harriet had fine to veranda then attic. M15 talking to H, moving closer. H turns on branch. Both looking around.
8:51 M15 to west pasture tree line. Flies at two trees. Perching in another.
8:54 flies at another tree, small stuck and moss. Flies back and drops material when lands in upper branch nest tree. H vocal. H is on the porch.
9:00 Harriet off the side of the nest, breaks a branch from the nest tree, flies around the snag trees and back to the nest with a large nice curved fingered branch.
9:03 H flies to back of pasture and then across the road. Perched in tree, looks for branch.
9:07 back to nest with material.
9:10 H off side if nest again. Grabs branch, out around by snags and beak with a great crib rail.
9:18 M15 out to pond area and around gliding and back to a right outer branch (the one he sat in so much when he first arrived in March). H vocal.
9:25 Both back in the nest and M15 brought some nest material himself.
To snag tree. Lost the branch. Just went around to cam 2 tree and grabbed one from nest tree, back around and into nest.
9:28 M to attic H in the nest. ( nest is shaping up)
9:38 H in attic. Flies to front east pine. Bouncing on branch. Flies. Goes down and back up and over to snag. Empty. M15 to attic.
9:41 H flies to right upper best tree branch. I hear s crack. She has a great branch. Flies out and around and back into nest with it. M15 drops down to help.
9:45 H grabs branch. Loses it just before landing In snag.
9:48 both fly swift and low to or past yonder pond area.

Avatar of Ozzie, the beloved Eagle
In loving memory of Ozzie, E3 and E5.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: PaminIndiana (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 10:58 AM EDT  
PaminIndiana

Bravo

Thank you Dadsjazz for the detailed and comprehensive observations from this morning! Very Impressive.

Forum

Profile Email Website PM

By: gullzena (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 01:25 PM EDT  
gullzena

Open question to you SWFL eagle experts: what are some simple ways to distinguish Harriet from M15? Thank you. This is my 3rd year watching, first post. I enjoy reading your updates.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: PaminIndiana (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 02:59 PM EDT  
PaminIndiana

Gullzena... the main difference is their size. The female eagle is larger than the male which, of course, you can only determine if the eagles are close to one another. When they are apart and the cam is able to get a close up, I have found that M15 has a noticeable crack under his left nare (nostril), Harriet does not. Basically I determine who is who by size, but sometimes it is truly a guessing game! I'm sure others can help us with the way they ID them. Hope that helps.

Forum

Profile Email Website PM

By: dadsjazz (offline) on Thursday, October 15 2015 @ 04:50 PM EDT  
dadsjazz

Quote by: PaminIndiana

Bravo

Thank you Dadsjazz for the detailed and comprehensive observations from this morning! Very Impressive.

You are welcome I didn't make the observations I just passed them along. It was a group effort!! Lots of activity needs lots of eyes. Nodding yes

Avatar of Ozzie, the beloved Eagle
In loving memory of Ozzie, E3 and E5.

Forum

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:06 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate