Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Hancock Live Web Cameras > Harrison Mills Bald Eagle Nest
 Harrison Mills 2016 Observations and Discussion
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:27 PM EDT  
JudyB

Good observations and comments, everyone (and now that I've read back, I see you mentioned that it was harder to fly up, Bev Smile ).

I'm quite certain that Sandy will be fine. At 12 weeks old (Happy Hatch Day, Sandy!), he or she is in the range where most chicks fledge - and while he wasn't quite ready, he is very close. I'm pretty sure he's at least a week older than the chicks at White Rock were when their nest collapsed, and they adapted well to being fed on a branch - and probably self-feeding on a branch. We've seen Sandy standing on one leg while hanging a foot over the side - and while scratching his forehead Wooh - which means he has the skills to hold onto his branch with one foot and his fish with the other while self-feeding.

I will mention for those who may be reading this but haven't been following this nest from the beginning, that while Driver and Putter spent quite a bit of time at the nest after fledging, 2013 eaglet Birdie didn't return to the nest for several days after fledging, and seemed to prefer hanging out with the adults near the river to flying back up to the nest, though we did see him (or her) back in the nest a few times before s/he headed off in search of the early salmon runs. I'm hoping Sandy takes after Putter and Driver and hangs out in the nest for a while - but wanted people to be prepared if he prefers the trees by the river and other places where the adults hang out.

5:26 pm
I haven't heard or seen Sandy for a while, and am hearing the wind, so the sound is on.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
Darlene

David is below the nest and sees Sandy. I just mssed his call and he left a message. I will keep trying to call him back. He said they are going to do a live broadcast.

Just talked to David and he is there with Christian Sasse and Christian is going live on his facebook page. They are at the nest.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:54 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: JudyB

Good observations and comments, everyone (and now that I've read back, I see you mentioned that it was harder to fly up, Bev Smile ).

I'm quite certain that Sandy will be fine. At 12 weeks old (Happy Hatch Day, Sandy!), he or she is in the range where most chicks fledge - and while he wasn't quite ready, he is very close. I'm pretty sure he's at least a week older than the chicks at White Rock were when their nest collapsed, and they adapted well to being fed on a branch - and probably self-feeding on a branch. We've seen Sandy standing on one leg while hanging a foot over the side - and while scratching his forehead Wooh - which means he has the skills to hold onto his branch with one foot and his fish with the other while self-feeding.

I will mention for those who may be reading this but haven't been following this nest from the beginning, that while Driver and Putter spent quite a bit of time at the nest after fledging, 2013 eaglet Birdie didn't return to the nest for several days after fledging, and seemed to prefer hanging out with the adults near the river to flying back up to the nest, though we did see him (or her) back in the nest a few times before s/he headed off in search of the early salmon runs. I'm hoping Sandy takes after Putter and Driver and hangs out in the nest for a while - but wanted people to be prepared if he prefers the trees by the river and other places where the adults hang out.

5:26 pm
I haven't heard or seen Sandy for a while, and am hearing the wind, so the sound is on.

Thanks so much Judy for your well thought out comments.. they are very reassuring .Smile..I too hope that Sandy will spend more time at the nest like Putter and Driver did after they fledged..

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: gemini (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:55 PM EDT  
gemini

I just received a call from David to say Christian Sasse is currently doing one of his live broadcasts from the HM nest on Face book.

Enjoy!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: SueD (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:55 PM EDT  
SueD

Quote by: Darlene

David is below the nest and sees Sandy. I just mssed his call and he left a message. I will keep trying to call him back. He said they are going to do a live broadcast.

Thank you for this update, Darlene! The live broadcast is on Christian Sasse's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SassePhoto/

Here's Sandy:
Click on image to download
Here's David:

aka byline ~ 2012

Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 05:56 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Thank you Darlene. Gemini and Sue

I got three beautiful pictures from the live broadcast.. hope it is Ok.

Sandy is so sweet

Thanks David and Christian. Nice pictures Sue !

BBL

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: SueD (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
SueD

A few more screenshots of Sandy, from David and Christian's live broadcast (they had to stop because Christian's battery ran low):

aka byline ~ 2012

Forum

Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Email Website PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Monday, August 01 2016 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
Darlene

Well that was wonderful and fun. It was great to see Sandy looking strong on the lower branch.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:18 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate