The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Osprey
 Other Osprey Nests & News
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, March 27 2017 @ 07:49 AM EDT  
JudyB

Hi everyone....

I'm afraid I have some sad news to share.

Jazzel26, a longtime member of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation forum, and of the Window on Wildlife forum and our earlier Maine eagle cam forum, has passed away.

She actually died back in February, and I've been waiting to see if there was some sort of official notice or obituary I could include before posting - but so far I haven't seen anything.

Yesterday would have been her birthday - according to her Facebook page, she would have been 69. sad

I don't have a lot of details - we were "friends" on Facebook, and a family member posted that someone had reported that they couldn't reach her, so the authorities checked and found she had passed away (I've seen nothing to suggest it wasn't peacefully in her sleep, so that's how I'm going to interpret that love ).

Some of you who follow osprey cams may know of Rob Bierregaard, who has been tagging osprey for a long time. He included the following in his most recent update:

Linda Chambers
Ospreys on Cape Cod and the Osprey watching community lost a very dear friend when Linda Chambers passed away recently. I met Linda in 2008 at Woods Hole while we were tagging a young at the (in)famous nest at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Linda had heard about our planned tagging and was skeptical about the value of disturbing the birds to tag them. She watched us work as we trapped and tagged Sherri and left convinced that we knew what we were doing and did everything possible to minimize stress on the birds. She then became an ardent follower of all our birds, but especially those from her neighborhood--Cape Cod and the Islands. In the off-season, she followed our website maps more closely than I did. She would often let me know when a bird stopped moving down on the wintering range before I had noticed. She was tireless in searching everyplace Belle began to focus her attention in the hopes that she would find Belle nesting. Linda monitored a lot of nests on the western Cape and probably wore out the buttons on her cell phone trying, usually fruitlessly, to get the local power company to do something when a pair of Ospreys nested on a live power line. She will be missed.

(Note - "Sherri" was not named after the Sherri who occasionally posts about osprey here - but after someone at Woods Hole who was involved in setting up their osprey cam)

So - I'll be the first to admit that Jazzel/Linda's passion for osprey and occasional lack of patience for those who cared differently could get on one's nerves - but I don't know of anyone who cared more than she did, or worked harder than she did to do everything in her power to make sure the osprey in her area were as safe as they could be from human-caused dangers.

As Rob said - she will be missed - not just by those of us who knew her, but by the osprey who lost a great supporter/defender with her passing.

There are already osprey back in Connecticut, and I think if they aren't already, they'll soon be back at the nests she monitored on Cape Cod - and eventually in Maine. And when I see one soaring, I'll think of Jazzel. sad

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Monday, March 27 2017 @ 09:01 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

I am sad to read this Judy... Thanks for letting us know...Big hugs I heard from Linda a few times last year when I had my surgery and she sent me a card .she seemed alright then .. she told me about her brother who died from cancer and she often spoke of her daughter ... she would PM me when she disagreed about something I posted on an Osprey nest and yes to compliment me at times also.. I remember once she sent me pictures of three Osprey she found dead on an nest that she visited ... she was so upset ! .. her wonderful devotion to all Osprey was outstanding ... and I will be the first to admit Linda could be nerve wrecking on the Halifax Osprey Nest .. having said that I learned a lot from her and she will be missed there this season.. Sad

I am hoping she went peacefully in her sleep... and she didn't suffer. She was to young to die!

RIP Linda and like Judy when I see an Osprey I will think you... sad

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Monday, March 27 2017 @ 08:52 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Oh thank you Judy......I am sad to hear of Linda's passing so young. She was incredible, always trying above and beyond to help these birds and yes, if she disagreed it was clear. There are always two side to every story so she had the ability to give pause for reflection while championing osprey. We all adore the ospreys so understand where she got her drive. I'll miss her! I always found her posts illuminating.
Love to you two......
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Tuesday, March 28 2017 @ 02:51 PM EDT  
amd

~~ Judy, Bev, Carolyn ~~

I was so sorry to read the news of Linda/Jazzel's passing sad
I too, enjoyed her dedication, posts and interesting imput always on the Dunedin Florida osprey nest, posting with you too Bev on that thread (missing that nest!!)
and also the times that I would drop in to visit at the Halifax osprey nest. So sad, it is hard to accept as she was taken too soon
from this earthly world. will miss her.....

Hugs to you all, dear friends....hug

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: beans (offline) on Wednesday, May 03 2017 @ 06:05 PM EDT  
beans

When I was active in the Forum, I enjoyed reading Linda's posts. So sorry she has passed away. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Jean

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Monday, May 08 2017 @ 10:01 AM EDT  
Ferenz

New Osprey Nest cam stream in Aberfoyle, Scotland: Video Camera

http://www.camvista.com/streaming/fores ... oyle1.html

http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest- ... le-ospreys

Some Aberfoyle facebook snaps from 21 April 2017 to 2 Mai 2017

Dyfi, Wales offspring Clarach 2R/13 - a daughter of Dyfi's resident female Glesni - is settling in Scotland and has found a young male. The pair has two eggs now...

https://www.facebook.com/LodgeAberfoyle ... e_internal

Click on image to download
FCS ABERFOYLE OSPREY PROJECT

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, May 26 2017 @ 09:55 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Ferenz, Clarach seems to be incubating. Smile
5:26/17

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Ferenz (offline) on Sunday, May 28 2017 @ 07:40 AM EDT  
Ferenz

@ Woodlands Bleu & welsh osprey friends

Aberfoyle, Scotland: Glesni's daughter with three eggs

FCS ABERFOYLE - 2017:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/community/place ... 94284.aspx

https://www.rspb.org.uk/community/place ... 32219858=5

FCS ABERFOYLE OSPREY PROJECT

Ferenz, Berlin (Germany)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:28 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate