The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary - Enmax 2015
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Tuesday, April 14 2015 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
lilywriter

7:10 pm Calgary time Rain and snow mix.

Dad eating a tiny fish at the nest.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 12:37 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Very Happy Dad has arrived home and I`m hoping that Mom makes it too. Thanks Christine for the heads-up - it is great to see Dad and though he looked tired and thin this morning, the later s`caps show him in better shape already.love

I even saw part of the battle this morning and thought the birds at first were ravens - yes, Judy we do have ravens in Calgary, some fly in in the morning and out to their roost at night if they are not paired up and nesting. Later though the birds looked like crows in some of the s`caps, thanks for all the s`caps of the `war`` Bet, Judy and MIchelle, I saw the weird transmission too,Bet, and I`m surprised that you were able to get so many good action shots.

The definitive way of telling the difference is their call and voice so we are out of luck in that department - no sound here. Ravens have a heavier bill, a wedge-shaped tail with crows having broad wings and a shorter tail and of course they are smaller. I`m sure that the experts could tell though and if I can get someone to look at them I will.

I couldn`t get on the forum yesterday but watched directly through the various sites and am happy to tell you all that the new lady of the Loch laid her first egg today. After watching night and day in an effort to see this I managed to miss it as the egg was laid while I was entertaining and could not watch. Seeing Dad this morning almost makes up for it! Wub

I missed his fish snack on the nest early this evening so was happy to see that you caught it, Christine.

I`ve been wondering if there is a bird on the river edge of the nest the past hour or more but it is hard to see through the bleary rain-soaked screen. Perhaps it is a mirage but looks like a big bird, with the white tail and head of a mature Bald Eagle.

It doesn`t make sense to me to sit on this exposed platform in this yucky near freezing weather tonight, but then I don`t have feathers nor would I willingly sleep outside in inclement weather. I`d also have to think it would be Dad and the raindrops and poor night transmission are causing this distortion,

10:25 pm The picture has rapidly disintegrated, I guess morning viewing will shed some light on this question. Whistling

Good to see almost everyone here today.Byebye Hi Janet, Carolyn and Donna. Dad was certainly searching for Mom and he must have been disappointed in not seeing her home too.

Great ID pictures, BET and Judy, thank you both. Wow, for one moment just now (10..30 pm) it looked like two birds together on the rim. Distortions are getting worse so time to call it a night. Good night

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 09:21 AM EDT  
jkr

Wednesday April 15, 2015

7:17 am
A very empty nest this morning. I've only had the camera on a few minutes and spotted a few birds on the shore but no osprey in sight.

The crow vs raven dilemna. I looked back at the s'caps and still haven't come to a definite conclusion but thanks JD for letting me know they are both common in Calgary. We have both in my area and the ravens are about 1 1/2 times the size of the crows. No mistaking them at all with their huge beaks and ruffed necks.
I did find a good comparison picture so we know what to watch for.......but really hope they don't make a return visit to the nest.

Come on home Mom --- your fans are waiting for you.

7:29 a.m.
Here's Dad home. He was on the nest rim for a moment and then took a flying leap over to the post with only the top of his head in view. Seconds later he flew off.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 09:38 AM EDT  
jkr

7:36 a.m.
We are in nesting mode --- Dad just brought in the first clump of grass for the nest !

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 10:41 AM EDT  
jkr

8:40 a.m.
Poor Dad. The crows are at it again and he's in chase....and being chased.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 11:47 AM EDT  
BET

Morning All!!!

Judy and JD - thank you for the crow/raven info. I went back over my screen caps and here are some more to help in the identification.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Good morning everyone.

waveAt 11:17 am Dad brought in a stick to the zoo edge of the platform that he favours when hanging out but it has been knocked off while defending his nest. I'm going to go with our American Crows for now as they are notorious for harassing our hawks and owls and more numerous in the city. If we were there to observe and hear them it would be an easy call.

Thanks for the illustrations, Judy and the s'caps, BET. Poor Dad is very busy fighting off whoever is harassing him this morning. I wonder how he will make out building the nest without Mom's guidance and help, - it will be a real test for him. Chin

I have to run.Byebye

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: ErnieL (offline) on Wednesday, April 15 2015 @ 04:58 PM EDT  
ErnieL

***I'm sure the income tax office will understand!!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:09 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate