The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary - Enmax 2015
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, April 17 2015 @ 08:03 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Good Evening Calgary friends.....

Janet, your pictures are again perfect. All of the captures keep us posted as to how things are going. I would imagine also Mom needs some time to build up after her long trip.
Dad was kind of quiet at first too. Thanks for the comments on my poem...they are fun to write with people who give me such great ideas by your posts.

I hope they eat a bunch of fish and rest up for now, keeping away the other birds. Thanks so much for all the incredible documentation.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 17 2015 @ 09:49 PM EDT  
BET

Janet - Thank you - again and again. Your photos are superb! They give us the close up view of our pair that other sites have but EnMax denies us.

My favorite of this group - it was hard to decide - but the one with the crow flying by while both O's were looking the other way. It tweaked my weird sense of humor.

=======
Mom was quiet on the nest for most of the afternoon- perched on the near corner. Without going back and checking the videos, it was around 4:30pm when she flew off and came back with a stick. She followed it up with several more. Also there was a good mating.

I haven't been paying close attention recently as it is dinner time. My zoo gets pushy and annoys me at that time - they don't care that they annoy me - they consist - insist - persist - in pestering me to feed them. Thye usually win.

Again Janet - thank you

Bet

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, April 17 2015 @ 10:04 PM EDT  
amd

Good evening all --
Carolyn - you have such a gift hug your words were perfect, a smiling beginning to our day, and carried throughout ....

Thank you Judy, Bet and JD as well, for all your insight and coverage here....I too think that Mom needs a little longer to recuperate from
her long journey...I hope she will be ok....were there any fish brought to the nest today? I know they probably ate off nest as well, but I was just curious ....
and Janet, heartfelt thanks again for your pictures from today....those pics are so crisp and clear....its like we were standing there in the flesh!

7:57 pm I can see Mom calling and calling .....sure enough, Dad comes in with I think some grass....not a Fish:
Click on image to download
8:00 on Flurry of wings everywhere

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, April 17 2015 @ 10:12 PM EDT  
amd

Dad left as quickly as he came in.....

8:07 pm Mom preens, and then works at some of the wonky sticks....the wind is relentless. although it is still 15 Celsius , a cold front is coming through the region
tonight....showers are a possibility and then a chilly high of 10 for tomorrow, strong winds throughout the day too...

she left while I was posting, then Dad came back for a moment, before going again
That almost looks like the beginnings of a bowl shape finally happening Smile coming to shape, instead of the hap-hazard melange of sticks
but seriously....the difference is incredible...how much work they do in another day

8:12 pm

I better make some supper ....lol....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 18 2015 @ 09:52 AM EDT  
jkr

Saturday April 18, 2015

Good Morning All.
BET thank you for your suggestion that we all email Enmax about the camera. I don't know if there's an adjustment they can make in their camera software but it sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

Janet, once again thank you so much for your nest visits and pictures. I appreciate that beyond words ! They are beautiful.

7:33 a.m. approx.
Mom has been moving a few sticks about the nest and gazing around.
I have to agree she doesn't seem quite as active as in previous years but maybe having predators in the area has affected her behaviour. We'll never know for sure.

7:42 a.m
Mom flew off toward the zoo area.

7:43 a.m.
She returned with a stick.
I guess she just showed me how wrong I was about her lack of energy. Titter

7:50 am
She's off again. I haven't seen Dad since I turned on the cam....fishing ??

7:51 am
Mom's in with a huge stick. I don't think we need to worry about her energy level any longer.

Dealing with the uncooperative stick.

Mom in again with another stick.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 18 2015 @ 10:25 AM EDT  
jkr

8:09 am
I left my computer for a minute and came back to see both adults on the nest.
Dad then flew off and Mom continued on with her work.

8:11 am
Dad returns with a big chunk of what looks like wet bark or clump of dark grass. Once he landed it took on the look of bark but soon blended with the nesting and no longer noticeable.
Mom begins working on the 'whatever it is' and Dad flies off.

8:24 am
As I was sending an email off to Enmax Dad returned to the nest. The two probably need a well deserved break from all the stick handling this morning.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 18 2015 @ 10:50 AM EDT  
jkr

8:48 am
Mom tests the bowl for comfort.

Yikes !
Intruder --- another osprey flew toward the nest and Dad flew at it and Mom went into defense.
Within a moment both Mom and Dad left the nest.... probably out giving chase. Please, please, please don't let this be another male trying to take over the nest....or another female for that matter.
BET, I didn't catch the action. Did you have your recorder going at that time ??

8:51 am
Mom returned to the nest and keeps an eye on the sky.

8:57 am
Dad returned with more nesting material. Thank goodness for that !!

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, April 18 2015 @ 11:05 AM EDT  
BET

Judy - Good Morning

I just sat down to watch and WOW Osprey attack. I have it on video and just finished extracting a lot of single frames

Both O's had been resting quietly on the nest when Dad began to show alarm. Mom jreacted to his defensive posture. Dad lifted off the nest, Mom turned to face the inbound intruding - attacking - Osprey

Dad returns to nest still challenging

cont'd

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:49 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate