The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Annemie (offline) on Wednesday, August 02 2017 @ 02:25 PM EDT  
Annemie

Hi Karen and all lovers of these eagles. wave

I am happy you liked my last post Karen I am happy you like the names Stan and I gave the two Hasting eaglets. Nodding yes
It is great to hear that David is in touch with the ' powers that be' to get a new nest started for Ma and Pa Hastings. WooHoo

I must say though, without Diana and her husband Mike nothing would have moved along.
AnnouncementThey are the driving force behind this one and deserve a big Thank You
David is always there to support and help as well.
He is the power to also take the last steps to make the nest a reality. Thank you Dave.

The Hastings couple is really taking care of their eaglet Survivor. Cloud 9

Survivor is getting so much food and attention that he always sounds happy when he calls.
There is never a hint of stress in his voice.
It is so very nice to hear his happy call when his parents come to see him. Good doggy

Today at 10:28 am the whole Hastings fam. came flying in together. Sitting eagleSitting eagleSitting eagleWindy - hold on
I have never seen that before.

Lots of gulls in tow which does not surprise me.
The Hastings eagles take their young out of their nests and bring them to Survivor.

The first week after the nest fell down, we found uneaten dead bird babies under the tree every day for a week. Oh the shame

We saw 5 uneaten seagull babies, 2 uneaten crow babies, 2 dead cormorant babies and one uneaten singing bird.
What a waste.
Obviously Survivor had a hard time eating his food on a branch. Faint

After about a week that stopped and Survivor learned how to eat his food while sitting on a branch as you can see on the video. Clapping

I feel that the Hastings parents have never fussed about their eaglets as the do with this one.Dear catWublove
I guess after loosing their babies 4 years in a row, they are really holding on to this one. Nodding yes

I will be so fabulous if they get help with their nest building this year.

The whole family loves the cottonwood trees at the parking lot across from the park and spend a lot of time over there. hug

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Wednesday, August 02 2017 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
Jean

Terrific photos Annemie...................it is so gratifying to see that one eaglet made it. This pair has had such bad luck over the last few years and it is wonderful to know that David is getting involved so that they will have a better chance for success in the future.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: vkahri (offline) on Saturday, August 05 2017 @ 03:48 AM EDT  
vkahri

Hi I'm Vicki. I'm new to this forum and have been communicating with Dianne about the PNE eagles. I'm posting three videos of Survivor, the eagle fledgling. In the video, I call him MC but now I see his name is Survivor. I was worried about him starving after the nest fell on July 7, as I noticed the mom was dropping fresh prey on the ground since then, as she no longer has a platform to place it on. So I threw fish on top of the blue parking booth a few times, hoping that they would swoop it from the roof, but they never did. At least the crows were well fed. I'm glad that Survivor was able to fledge shortly after the nest fell, as I was concerned about him keeping balanced on the branch day and night with no nest to sleep in. I'm happy to see him doing well now and flying around. I've only seen one parent with him since July 10. Can someone confirm that they've seen both of the bald eagles (with white heads) at the same time.

Hmm, my video attachments aren't showing up. I'll try again tomorrow. -- Vicki

Thanks Karen for your instructions. I did originally click browse to select the files from my computer, but videos didn't show up in my post. They were three YouTube mp4 videos. I will follow your instructions and try to Link my files.

In the meantime, the videos are view-able to the public on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/vicki.kahri (Vancouver). Login with your Facebook account is necessary to connect. Facebook album DNP47 Summertime with eagles and heron fledglings. I will be adding my Spring/Summer eagle photos in Facebook next week after I sort through them.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, August 05 2017 @ 01:09 PM EDT  
karenbills

Welcome to Hancock Wildlife Discussion Forum, Vicki. I am so pleased that you have joined us. We need many observations on our various nests that we document. Your information is very much appreciated.

Here's how to upload your pics:

forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=6#6

I see that you correctly used the file tags but then you needed to click on 'Browse' and select the pictures to be seen.
Hope this helps. We look forward to seeing your pictures. You need to also post links to your videos.

Thanks, Diana, for all the work you and Mike are doing at the site plus all the year long posts by Annemie, Stan, Scott and Sharon. Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: diana (offline) on Thursday, August 10 2017 @ 12:12 AM EDT  
diana

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words........I am still waiting for the go ahead from the Parks board . Vicki, I am glad you have joined the forum . Annemei does a fantastic job but we can always use extra eyes. Mike, David, Myles and I were at the old nest site this afternoon. David chose the tree that he thought would be the strongest to support the new nest. It's the same tree as they nested in before, next to the parking lot. We are still hoping that we can get the lift donated by the PNE. Fingers crossed that it all works out and we can go ahead as soon as the fair is over. I will keep you posted so we can all be there for the big event!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Thursday, August 10 2017 @ 11:39 AM EDT  
karenbills

Quote by: vkahri

Hi I'm Vicki. I'm new to this forum and have been communicating with Dianne about the PNE eagles. I'm posting three videos of Survivor, the eagle fledgling. In the video, I call him MC but now I see his name is Survivor. I was worried about him starving after the nest fell on July 7, as I noticed the mom was dropping fresh prey on the ground since then, as she no longer has a platform to place it on. So I threw fish on top of the blue parking booth a few times, hoping that they would swoop it from the roof, but they never did. At least the crows were well fed. I'm glad that Survivor was able to fledge shortly after the nest fell, as I was concerned about him keeping balanced on the branch day and night with no nest to sleep in. I'm happy to see him doing well now and flying around. I've only seen one parent with him since July 10. Can someone confirm that they've seen both of the bald eagles (with white heads) at the same time.

Hmm, my video attachments aren't showing up. I'll try again tomorrow. -- Vicki

Thanks Karen for your instructions. I did originally click browse to select the files from my computer, but videos didn't show up in my post. They were three YouTube mp4 videos. I will follow your instructions and try to Link my files.

In the meantime, the videos are view-able to the public on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/vicki.kahri (Vancouver). Login with your Facebook account is necessary to connect. Facebook album DNP47 Summertime with eagles and heron fledglings. I will be adding my Spring/Summer eagle photos in Facebook next week after I sort through them.

Vicki - Our forum software does not accommodate videos, only stills. That's why you couldn't attach them. Our members usually post them on YouTube (preferably) the HWF YT page, which is great. Then David Hancock and I can download them if he needs them to include in one of his Powerpoint presentations. We cannot do so from other websites, only YouTube.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, August 19 2017 @ 11:19 PM EDT  
Annemie

Hi Diana, Jean, Karen, Stim, Sharon, Vicky( welcome to the forum ) and all lovers of these Hastings eagles.

Although we do not see Survivor anymore, I am not completely sure he is gone as we are still finding his and his parents feathers as well as food leftovers under the tree.

The PNE has started today and by the time that is over the Hastings eagles will most likely have moved on.

I used to see Houdini and his parents fly over my house frequently.
David asked me to write down the times so here they are:

Dates and times we noticed the Hastings eagle flew over our house or were at the nest tree.

Wed. July 26th.----1:30 pm............Parent incoming

------------------------ 2:44 pm............Survivor incoming

------------------------ 8:10 pm............Survivor sitting on home tree.

Thu. July 27th.-----2:20 pm.............Parent incoming with food
-------------------------2:25 pm.............Parent flying North

Fri. July 28th--------7:00 pm............Survivor sitting on home tree quietly
-------------------------9:00 pm............Survivor sitting on dinner tree near nest tree screaming

Sat. July 29th--------2:02 pm............Survivor riding a thermos circling above Hastings park for a few min.
--------------------------3:08 pm............Parent incoming

Sun. July 30th--------11:20 am..........Survivor incoming
----------------------------2:52 pm..........Parent incoming

Mon. July 31st---------5:00 pm..........Survivor sitting on dinner tree near nest tree

Tue. Aug 1st.---------11:38 am..........Parent in with food
----------------------------1:10 pm..........Survivor flying west

Wen. Aug. 2nd-------10:28 am........The whole fam. , Ma, Pa and Survivor incoming together Red Heart
-----------------------------7:45 pm.........Survivor sitting near nest tree at the lake watching us feeding ducks. love

Thurs. Aug. 3rd--------2:00 pm.........Survivor sitting by the dome at Hastings park
-----------------------------2:20 pm.........Survivor sitting near nest tree
-----------------------------2:50 pm.........Survivor sitting in Cottonwood tree at parking lot
-----------------------------7:45 pm.........Survivor sitting on dinner tree near nest tree
-----------------------------8:10 pm.........Parent in with food, a crow baby.

Aug. 3rd was the last day we have seen the Hastings eagles however
we know that they have all been around as we have been finding their feathers and their food leftovers every single day under their trees.

Now that the PNE started we are not allowed to visit our public park without buying a PNE ticket.
However we will be going a couple of times in the next two weeks and let you know if at any time we see something.

My next post will be about what has been on the Hastings eagles menu this summer. (not for the faint of Red Heart Titter )

Byebye

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sctth4 (offline) on Tuesday, August 22 2017 @ 06:17 PM EDT  
sctth4

Can i get a vote, sleeping past 4am was lovely.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate