The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
  Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2015 - 2017
 |  Printable Version
By: Steamer (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 12:17 AM EDT  
Steamer

Went over a few times today to keep a eye on the surviving juvie and during the first visit mid afternoon it sure was letting it rip Oh My

Both parents showed up eventually but didn't see a feeding or food drop high up in the tree it was perched on. One adult sat directly under the young one well the other came in with branches to the fallen nest location. Tons of recent prey under the nest tree by the way which has gone uneaten....guess there's just no platform to leave it and the youngster just doesn't know what to do with it when delivered Puzzled Oh the PNE boss showed up out of the blue in his cart and let me know the fallen parts of the nest and branches will stay put on the ground...no clean upLeft thumb up. He saw for himself as we chatted the attempt by one of the adults to build a new platform where the nest was

During my 2nd visit tonight the juvie was high up perched on another nearby high fir but this time it was having a nap when first spotted then awoke looking quite content for the hour I kept it under watch....no adults came in.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM EDT  
stim

Good news about the eaglet safe in the Cottonwoods as well as the PNE crew leaving the nest debris on the ground for renewed nest building. A good news report which we all need. Grin

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 01:54 PM EDT  
karenbills

Well Ma and Pa Hastings are surely persistent eagles. Hope something can be done to help them in their endeavors. Thanks to Annemie, Stan and Scott for all their faithful observations and contacting whomever needs to be contacted when such tragedies occur.

Member since 2006.

Forum

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 07:23 PM EDT  
Annemie

wave Good afternoon Stim, Gemini, Sctth4, Karen and all.

In the first few days, the surviving eaglet was sitting at the old nest site calling out a lot and seemed hungry.

Since the nest fell down we have been finding newly killed but uneaten baby bird under the nest tree.
I counted 4 uneaten seagull chicks and one Crow chick under the tree.

Just to show you the one that we found on Thursday.

Click on image to download

The surviving eaglet waiting for Ma and Pa.
It seemed a lot more content yesterday and today.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Annemie (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 07:49 PM EDT  
Annemie

Our little survivor is preening.

Red Heart May our little Survivor have a blessed life. Red Heart

I am so glad that after all the work the Hastings pair put into their breeding program and after all their losses they suffered in the last 4 years, that they finely have at least on baby on their side. Red Heart

Stan and I think that they finally have figured out how to feed their eaglet.

Pa is trying to rebuild already.
Even the day one of his chicks died, I saw him fly in with a brand new branch.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM EDT  
stim

I am sure the uneaten baby birds are difficult for you to see Annemie. Especially as they were killed for naught with the nest falling.
On the plus side, yes, Ma and Pa have succeeded with one fledge this year. Clapping

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Saturday, July 15 2017 @ 09:23 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thank you all for your reports - and for all the support you have provided here. hug

I'm so sorry they lost one of their chicks - and happy to hear that the other one is doing well. Keeping fingers crossed that all will continue to go well for the remaining chick.

Big hugs

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Steamer (offline) on Monday, July 17 2017 @ 01:58 PM EDT  
Steamer

Well Annemie and I were hanging out with the ducks at the Sanctuary yesterday we saw a nice heartwarming sight Smile

Overhead we saw what looked like Ma Hastings with the juvie in tow, who was about 10 ft behind her, heading to the direction of the high firs. After a while I left Annemie with the ducks and decided to have a look. Nobody around in the trees at that time but bumped into a couple of ladies who saw them fly over the horse race track and decided to come up and have a look. People who know the park will know that's a fair distance so our surviving juvie is certainly making the rounds of the area Nodding yes

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 07:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate